Criminal Minds Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

The Unsubs.

Ninja1088

[301]May 16, 2008
    • level: 7

I felt for the old man Owen killed. While what he went through doesn't give him a green light to do what he did< I don't feel sorry for the abuser or the bullies he killed. This episode hit home for me because I was teased in high school as Reid and Owen were. Like them, nothing happened to the bullies. Hard unless you've been there but I got the same excuses ( I was too sensitive, all in good fun, prepare you for the real world blah blah). Many victims of bullying end up committing suicide. Guess how much remorse their tormenters showed? None at all. Those boys were only sorry for the hell and teasing Owen went through when they were staring down the barrel of a gun. While it still doesn't justify murder, I can't feel sorry for them either. You reap what you sow, sometimes the people whose lives you taken in pleasure in making a living hell fight back.

end of rant lol

Edited on 05/17/2008 1:47am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kasey64

[302]May 16, 2008
    • level: 5
    Ninja1088 wrote:

I felt for the old man Owen killed. While what he through doesn't give him a green light to do what he did< I don't feel sorry for the abuser or the bullies he killed. This episode hit home for me because I was teased in high school as Reid and Owen were. Like them, nothing happened to the bullies. Hard unless you've been there but I got the same excuses ( I was too sensitive, all in good fun, prepare you for the real world blah blah). Many victims of bullying end up committing suicide. Guess how much remorse their tormenters showed? None at all. Those boys were only sorry for the hell and teasing Owen went through when they were staring down the barrel of a gun. While it still doesn't justify murder, I can't feel sorry for them either. You reap what you sow, sometimes the people whose lives you taken in pleasure in making a living hell fight back.

end of rant lol

My thoughts exactly I felt sorry for the old man or maybe the other cop who was shot)but that was it. I was bullied in school which robbed me of every bit of self-esteem I had. Maybe shooting them wasn't the answer ( I prefer lifetime disfigurement. myself.) It's funny. Adults would never let other adults push them around or harrass them, yet they expect their children to handle the bullies,who are worse then most adults. Maybe if the adults would look around what is going on around them,they can help these kidsbefore they take their anger out on everyone.

justagirl_21

[303]May 24, 2008
    • level: 4
    I actually feel sympathy for most unsubs. Don't get me wrong they need to be stopped but it's so sad that a human being can become so isolated in there own world of pain and delusion.

Of course I feel even more sympathy for the victims, but it's sad to see that most unsubs were victims themselves once

Buffylover365

[304]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 16

kasey64 wrote:
    I was bullied in school which robbed me of every bit of self-esteem I had.
    I can sympathize with you, kasey. I myself was bullied in school all the way from Grade 4 up until my last year (which was 2001), due to my weight. I would've tried my damndest to do something about it, but I had to deal with two bullies constantly (and they were masquerading as my "best friends", to make matters even worse...so I had that hanging over my head if I ever wanted to drop them), so my self-esteem was still affected. But I've since kicked them both to the curb and now I hope I can finally get something done about this issue.

Anyway, back on topic:

One of the Unsubs I felt sorry for was the challenged man who had killed that family's parents (it was one of the first cases Rossi was involved in...I forget the episode). We find out that he was basically under his father's thumb which really made me feel worse for him. When I watched the moment where Morgan and J.J. found him and they had their guns in his face and were screaming at him, I honestly thought, "He's not all there, you guys...couldn't you have handled the situation better? I mean, sure, he's a criminal, but he's not your garden-variety criminal."

Edited on 08/12/2008 5:42pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tomcataxter

[305]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 1

BAUCTU wrote:
    I don't know about Munchauseen, typically that is parents deliberataly harming their child so that they can be immersed in the medical world. They generally know more medical information than you would expect a none medicala person to and love the attention they as the parent get. Dowd is different in that he knows all the medical stuff he just wanted to be the hero, to save the world so to speak.

Munchausen Syndrome and Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy are two different but similar mental disorders. Munchausen syndrome is a psychiatric disorder in which those affected fake disease, illness, or psychological trauma in order to draw attention or sympathy to themselves. It is in a class of disorders known as factitious disorders which involve "illnesses" whose symptoms are either self-induced or falsified by the patient. It is also sometimes known as hospital addiction syndrome.

In Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy, a caregiver - usually a parent, guardian or spouse, will either intentionally inflict an illness upon, or feign an illness of, another person to gain attention or sympathy.

To further your point, although the hero homicide aspect of Dowd's behavior might suggest that there is a relationship to Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy, it's really a separate condition altogether. Usually in Munchausen, the person isn't looking for a cure, just attention. In Dowd's case, he was feeding his own narcissism by playing the hero to the wounded. He felt underappreciated and wanted to prove to everyone around him that he was better than them.

tomcataxter

[306]Aug 17, 2008

Finnegan77 wrote:
    I agree- The Fox was the first episode I gave a "10" - everything about it was fantastic. And the fact that we never even set eyes on the unsub until that horrifying scene in the basement when he throws the baby! Morgan's "role-play" explanation of the guy's profile was soooo fascinating. Every little detail had to be in line for him - talk about needing to control things. Being in bed with the wife from the first family was almost as disgusting as giving the baby her pacifier. Chills!

Let's not forget Eric Miller (Tony Todd) and Frank Fielding (Abraham Benrubi) in this episode. Those interrogation room scenes were AWESOME!! I especially liked when Frank realized that he walked away from the killer. The whole episode was brilliantly casted and acted.

tomcataxter

[307]Aug 17, 2008
    jcmjagfan wrote:
    He really was a blend of two types of killer: the hardened heart of a hitman, and the twisted mind & desire of asadist.

He's an organized killer. The idea of getting paid for doing what he was going to do anyway must've appealed to him. When they wanted information, instead of a quick kill, he got intotorture. Then he started really getting into the torture. Then he starteddevloving.

Actually, Vincent Perotta didn't devlove at all. He made a mistake in haste becuse he had to kill a woman. All of his other victims were male.

tomcataxter

[308]Aug 17, 2008
    Finnegan77 wrote:

Elle is gone, old news, stick a fork in her.

I couldn't agree more. Sorry, I know there are a lot of Lola/Elle fans out there, but in my opinion she was the weakest character on the show. It showed in the writing. Anyone else think that some of her lines were akin to soap opera dialogue? Case in point, "Poison": Why would she have to explain to BAU agents what Rohypnol is and it's uses except to highlight her background in sex crimes?

tomcataxter

[309]Aug 17, 2008
    michaelhanergod wrote:

No i don't think they told us anything about the unsub. Nevertheless that episode really freaked me out. To think that your next door neighboor could be a pedofile gives me the shivers.

Not much to know about pedophiles except the type. It's basically an incurable affliction. The wires that govern sexual impulses and desires in the brain are crossed.

BTW, it doesn't have to be the next door neighbor. It could be the person down the hall, dad, brother, uncle, mom. Granted, men are more prevalent in reported cases, but aren't female teachers that sleep with their minor, male students in the same category? The primary difference is victimology. Female victims of male perpetrators are far more likely to feel violated, whereas male victims of female perpetrators are more likely to deem it as a right of passage. This is why most male rape or pedophile cases involve male perpetrators.

tomcataxter

[310]Aug 17, 2008
    BAUCTU wrote:

Next up, The Boogeyman. What made Jeffrey a murderer at such a young age?

That's easy. Pure, unadulterated jealousy. Mom is gone, so there's no mother/son bonding or conscience involved. Dad spends his time, in the kid's mind, focusing on everyone but him. Jeffrey was already different with his food allergy. Add no mother and maybe even the teasing that comes from the red hair and freckles, and you've got yourself an outcast. Ignorance just made it worse. What better way to get noticed than to squelch the competition?

tomcataxter

[311]Aug 17, 2008
    Buffylover365 wrote:

One of the Unsubs I felt sorry for was the challenged man who had killed that family's parents (it was one of the first cases Rossi was involved in...I forget the episode).

Challenged? That's a bit PC considering the circumstances in my opinion. Whether he is mentally incompetent or not is a decision for the courts, not for the guilt ridden father of a mentally "challenged" child. I have several issues with this episode, "Damaged", that just can't be ignored. Preface: I realize that this was likely written during the writers' strike, but let's have some consistency. Let's go back to episode 11 of season 3 - "Birthright" when this case is first discussed.

1. In "Damaged" they claim that this is the 20th anniversary of the murders. Hmm. Rossi confesses to retired sheriff John Caufield that it's been 21 years since the murders.

2. In "Birthright", the victims were bludgeoned to death. In "Damaged", they were attacked with an axe.

3. In "Birthright", the attack took place on Christmas Eve. In "Damaged", it was spring time when the anniversary hit.

4. It's not specific in "Birthright" whether the survivors were in the same place, but it felt as though they were in different places based on Rossi's account. Why would siblings still be living together into their late twenties or early thirties?

5. Why would the prospect of annual gifts not come up in conversation until Rossi showed up in person?

This started out as a great back story for Rossi, but the writers and the producers that let the episode air failed in delivery. Sad point to mention, there were only two new episodes that aired between "Birthright" and "Damaged". This faux pas is known as "jumping the shark", and it is abundant in this episode. It is a total let down, both in time-line inconsistencies and the fact that a simple profile could not be deciphered by one of the BAU's most renowned. If there was ever a "do-over" episode, this is it.

Buffylover365

[312]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 16
    tomcataxter wrote:
    Buffylover365 wrote:

One of the Unsubs I felt sorry for was the challenged man who had killed that family's parents (it was one of the first cases Rossi was involved in...I forget the episode).

Challenged? That's a bit PC considering the circumstances in my opinion. Whether he is mentally incompetent or not is a decision for the courts, not for the guilt ridden father of a mentally "challenged" child.

I apologize. I was trying to find some way to describe the mental state of this particular Unsub. I guess I chose the wrong wording.

Again, I apologize.