Criminal Minds

God Complex

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 24, 2012 on CBS

• Writing is going downhill

The writing on this show is starting to show its laziness.

I didn't mind the Reid subplot at all, of course, although I did find it hard to believe that he wouldn't see her behavior as creepy after everything he'd encountered in his years at the BAU. I certainly found it creepy, even before I knew she was watching him.

But what really irritated me was the main plot. There was just so much about the way the BAU worked in this episode that just seemed like... lazy writing. I can no longer watch it on CBS.com, and it's been a while since I've seen the episode, so I only remember one specific example (although there were more at the time). When they were delivering their profile, they said something like:

"The doctors under Hitler's regime had the same psychology."

Really? ALL of the doctors who worked under Hitler's regime shared the exact same psychology? All of them? And that's not even counting the fact that they brought up Hitler... a major indicator of lazy writing in any show that isn't actually about Hitler...

I'm sure there's no shortage of real-life and more recent examples of doctors with god complexes who committed atrocious acts. The naming of past killers who've been studied or interviewed by the BAU often lends a certain degree of realism to the show that was notably absent in this episode (and actually, in all of the episodes to this point this season).
CBS