Criminal Minds

Hope

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 16, 2011 on CBS

• A Couple Of Excellent Parts - And Quite A Few Highly Predictable Ones.

The 'people going to support groups' has been a little overdone on 'Criminal Minds'. These groups are wonderful things for people in need of help for various things, but I think this may be the third or fourth episode where we have gone down this road and it is wearing a little thin. It was nice to see a little more interaction between J.J. and Garcia as I haven't found in previous Season 7 episodes that they have regained their old closeness. The plot was predictable but understandable in in places at the same time. A desperate mother would indeed follow the instructions of her daughter's abductor to the letter, especially when she had nobody else to advise her. It was very typical of Garcia's character to refuse to be left behind when her friend was in danger, so that part was well written.

The unsub himself wasn't very convincing for me. It seemed as though he had rehearsed his lines a million times but had not managed to capture the character. I found that disappointing. The young girl who was friends with Hope did a much better job.

I was very pleased to see Reid being a part of the action right at the end and seeing how calm and professional he was. J.J. allowing Garcia inside the house with an armed unsub was a bit harder to swallow but I'll allow some artistic license for television. The episode was okay but certainly not nail biting edge-of-your-seat stuff.
Hit