Criminal Minds

Machismo

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Apr 12, 2006 on CBS

• I found this one pretty dull with a predictable plot and an even more predictable unsub as the team travels to Mexico to help in the hunt for a serial killer who targets elderly women.

The twelfth rape and murder in two years of an elderly woman in Mexico sends the BAU to look at the case. The local police captain, however, who is already known to Gideon, warns that the usual profiling methods are unlikely to work in a place like this. The BAU's job is made more difficult when they receive little or no co-operation from locals and they find out that their chief suspect, the son of the latest victim, is a homosexual, but very firmly in the closet as such an admission would mean more than a little trouble for such a man if he were to be placed in a local prison.

A further hinderance is that the women of the town are unwilling to talk but the team are sure that they know more than they are letting on. With the help of Elle, who speaks Spanish fluently, they are able to extract a little more information and continue with their theory of a serial killer in spite of those in local authority insisting that it is nothing of the sort. Finally, the necessary breakthrough is made and the case is solved but at a cost to Hotch who is having trouble at home with a disgruntled Haley who is angered at the amount of time he spoends away from her and their young son, Jack.

No doubt a lot of fans really liked this one, but I'm afraid that I can't say I was one of them.
X