Criminal Minds

Mayhem

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 24, 2008 on CBS

• maythem starts a great season

enjoy the episode the cast the tension, perfect
  • Explosive start to the season.

Season 3 ended with a fantastic season finale and this episode was even better In this episode we knew that one of the SUV's blew up but it was all about which one Straight away in the episode you know it's Hotch's SUV and he was okay but Kate wasn't so lucky and it was her own words that kind of got her killed This episode was non stop action with the SUV bombing part of something bigger which i a target in a hospital which lead to Morgan risking his life and great character moments between him and Garcia as Morgan was talking like he was going to die This was a really good start to the season and the only part I never understood was hardly any of the terrorists was killed compared to the amount we saw in the previous episode so what has happened to them.
  • Goddamn dissapointed AGAIN!!!

Okay so my previous review on the Season 3 finale episode lo-fi is extremely the opposite of what I have to say about this episode. That S3 ep was so action packed and on the edge of your seat thrilling and I loved absolutely every minute of it and I was really hoping that this opener to the next season would continue that amazingness but NO again just like the S3 ep "Damaged" it was a HUGE disappointment! So we know they are terrorists out to blow up something or someone but why? Who knows? Is that ever explained? Nope! We see one single guy at the aid of Hotchner and Joyner after the explosion but of course he's one of the unsubs! His main goal was to make sure that an Ambulance arrived and that the Ambulance was driven to a hospital guarded by secret service to blow up the hospital and kill the person the secret service were protecting! But who were they protecting? And why were they protecting this person? Who knows!? They don't ever explain it!!!! The Paramedic/unsub connects the bomb together in the basement while the agents figure out he's about to blow up the hospital, but then he leaves the bomb when he could've set it off right there and then! He was suicidal anyway so I don't understand why he went back into the hospital? Oh thats right because otherwise the team would've been killed and then no more criminal minds. We don't even get any info as to the terrorists motives or who was telling them to do what they did (dress in hoodies and shoot random people dead in various locations involving security cameras to which they hacked into to destroy evidence, making it look like a serial killers rather than terrorists) I want answers!!! But I want good answers! Not something stupid that's completely not even interesting! Like Agent Joyners death pfft boring who cares about her she was in one episode! But I would like to know what was going on with Hotchner and her, that could've been interesting seeing as he's got Hayley or had Hayley or whatever.

I love this show but some episodes its like they created them while they were asleep or something or just couldn't be bothered. Very disappointing!! I want answers!!! Who were the terrorists working for? Or was it the unsub at the end? Who were the secret service protecting and why did the terrorists want them dead? What was going on with Hotch and Joyner? Were they romantically involved at one point? Seriously gimme answers

The one good thing about it was Morgan and Garcia's conversation at the end. He is so gorgeous! Not just looking but wow he cares for the team more than any of the other characters! He and Garcia are my favs because he's always looking out for everyone and Garcia is just awesome!
  • Pretty good episode-action packed, exciting till the end, but it left me confused at the end.

As far as this episode goes, I enjoyed every minute of it. However, there was 1 main problem. And it was a BIG problem.

The problem was that i was confused at the end. Mainly, you never learn about the terrorists. You just see random guys dressed in black sweaters. Also, who was Secret Service protecting, and why did the terrorists want to kill him? We never learn these answers, Thomas Gibson just disregards Morgan's question at the end so the writers don't have to think of an explanation. compared to other 2 part episodes (the Fisher Kings, No Way Out & No Way Out II, etc.) i was disappointed. I did like the excitement, especially in the hospital and Morgan with the ambulance. I also liked his conversation with Garcia.

For the record, Thomas Gibson is not a very good actor. I know his character is monotone and usually expressionless, but when his friend (who he really wants to ****) is dying, and, eventually dies, his expression stays the same. When he and the team face great danger, his expression never changes. Honestly, no wonder his wife divorced him.

In the end, it was a fun epsiode to watch and i would strongly recommend it to any Criminal Minds fan. It could have been better, but 7.5 is about as good as i will give it. After the build up from part 1, i thought the second part disappointed.
  • As Season Four kicks off we find out the answer to the question which has been bugging us all summer. Who was in the SUV that blew up and did they survive?

There were some excellent moments in this episode, particularly the fine acting performance by Shemar Moore when Derek had the job of driving a bomb out of harms way and thus, saving a lot of lives.

My problem with it was that before the episode even screened, we knew from press releases etc. that none of the cast was leaving the show, which meant that only Agent Joyner could have been the person whose vehicle blew up. That was disappointing, I like suspense even though I most definitely did NOT want any of the regular cast leaving the show.

There were some touching moments between Hotch and Kate as she lay dying, unable to get the medical assistance required due to the blockade which kept the insiders in the area and the outsiders out. It was, unfortunately, also blatantly obvious that the young boy who showed such concern was the person they were looking for. (Or one of the many, anyway.)

I'm not saying the episode was terrible because there were some excellent moments within it, but predictability annoys me, especially in a season opener or finale.
  • After a long summer break from the Season 3 cliffhanger, "Mayhem" is a good episode, but far from perfect...

My biggest problem with this episode is that it just failed to deliver. We had the big tease over the summer that a BAU agent was in the exploding SUV -- But in true bait-and-switch fashion, a nobody character ended up dying. While this may seem acceptable to those who love the current cast - to create a cliffhanger like that only to say "GOTCHA!" is not a way to please fans. If this were a week or two week break-cliffhanger, then I'd say it is acceptable. A season finale cliffhanger however, should NEVER be a bait-and-switch. It's a slap in the face.

My second biggest problem with this episode is all the logic gaps and information that was never really questioned or answered. It sure seemed really over-the-top for these terrorists to do all this distraction, just so they could get an ambulance with a bomb inside a hospital. First off, it's never answered how the terrorist knew of the surgery of -presumably the president- but why even bother. If the Hospital was going to be locked down, why not just drive it through the secret service barricade and explode once in the parking structure?

Ah yes the bomb. It makes absolutely NO SENSE - so this terrorist arms his bomb, and instead of just blowing it up right then and there, he decides to go for a walk instead. WHY? If he's going to commit suicide, why would he even make a bomb with a phone as a trigger? Why not just explode it the second he armed it? Retarded. Fine, you can even say he was too stupid to realize this, and decided to go for a walk and kill some secret service instead. Once he sees that Morgan had stolen the bomb, why didn't he just rush up to the room where the surgery was and shoot his way to his target? Why just sit there pushing redial? Poor writing, that's why.

Then they try to tease another BAU agent's death, only to reveal that Morgan is fine. I'm sorry, but if you're going to bait-and-switch BAU member's deaths twice in the same episode, that isn't "on the edge of my seat" - that's just annoying!

Did I dislike it all? No, but those few things to me at least, really hurt this episode, and merely made it good instead of great.
  • And all this, what was it for?

It has already been underlined by others, but which was the point of all this? I liked the first part of this episodi, the end of Season 3 and I also, partially, liked this one: its rhythm, its tension and so on. But all what happened has not a sense and, worst of all, no explanation. Who were the terrorists? What did they do all this for? Who was the person who had to be attacked? Why did the terrorists know where he was? At the end, there were 4 agents in front of a terrorist armed with a knife, couldn't one of them shot him in the arm to prevent him to commit suicide? And in all this mess, Thomas Gibson's expression never changed, not even once, not even this time.

• Exciting, dangerous and high stakes in play - what else would you want...

Amazing episode. I most say I was expecting one of the team to be on the wan but both Kate and Hotchner... and not in but out.. anyway, this episode started of with really intense sequence - they cannot help them because the orders they gave.. and that costs Kate's life... And that boy who stick around and is identified as a bomber - what a twist. And then the whole matter of figuring out what is really happening if Kate and Hotcher's wan was decoy - and the way they soon figure it out... the danger they but the hospital.. the end sequence... Morgan driving that ambulance... others in the hospital. It really had amazing excitement, danger and action.

I personally think it was one of the best episodes what did not concentrate in one character (because in those cases we might be more influenced liking the episode if we like the char) at all.
  • Morgan/Garcia moment was classic!

Morgan: There's something I really want you to know, Garcia.

Garcia: Save it, just get out!

Morgan: No, no, no, I'm not quite there yet...

Garcia: Morgan...

Morgan: Just listen to me...

Garcia: Morgan, please...

Morgan: You know what you are, Garcia?

Garcia: (bomb in ambulance explodes) Morgan! (pause) Derek?

Morgan: Garcia? I'll tell you what you are to me. You're my God-given solace. Woman you promise me one thing - whatever happens, don't you ever stop talking to me.

Garcia: I can't right now 'cause I'm mad at you

This episode was definitely a Garcia/Morgan night! I loved the way the writers/Directors played on their chemistry! Hope to see more of that in the future! Hotchner: Your actions, as incredibly brave as they were, were still the actions of an agent who doesn't truly trust anyone.

Morgan: Hotch, I did it for this team.

Hotchner: My opinion doesn't matter, the job's yours if you want it.

Morgan: Hotch! Your opinion matters to me.

Hotchner: My life matters to me, and I have, and always will, entrust you with it. Would you do the same for me?

Come on Hotchner...give the guy a break! He was molested by someone he trusted when he was a kid! I'm not a profiler and i can see that that inccident has scared him for life.
  • Amazing!

We open this season straight after the bombing of the SUV. We quickly learn that it was Kate who was hurt in the explosion. We see Hotch trying to save her. One by one the team learn of the car bombing. Garcia watches back the video of the explosion and sees that neither Hotch nor Kate were inside of the SUV, but were just about to get in to it. We see that the unsub is the man who has been helping Hotch look after Kate. Morgan who is now with Hotch gets the call and chases after the bomber. Morgan chases the kid into the subway station and onto the tracks. We then see the kid going onto the live tracks and dying. They manage to get Kate to the hospital, but then Hotch collapses. The team realise that their profile is wrong. They soon realise that the hospital is the target and that the other bomber is the ambulance and the paramedic who drove Kate & Hotch to the hospital. The team have eyes on the Paramedic and Morgan goes off to find the ambulance. Morgan finds it and the bomb inside of it. Morgan decides that he has to move the ambulance. He has less than 3 minutes until the cell phones will all start working and the bomb will go off. We see Morgan driving away and the bomber trying to catch up but he is unable to do so. We then see Morgan driving the ambulance, and then we see it in a field still be driving and it exploding. The team catch up with the bomb who is sitting waiting for them. He then slips his own throat. We then see Morgan who is ok and unhurt. We learn at the end of the episode that Kate didn't make it. Emily goes to see Cooper, who is ok & it's here that we learn that Hotch cannot fly for a bit due to his ears. So Hotch & Morgan dive the3 hours back together. Morgan is offered the job in New York, but he doesn't take it.
  • I might cop flak but this wasn't a worthy conclusion to Lo-Fi (last seasons cliff hanger). Far too predictable and too many cop outs

The expolding SUV might have made contract negotiations easier for the network but we find out in the opening credits that the writers/producers have coped out of delivering on the suspense of who might die. And then they repeat this again at the end of the episode when they might have redemed themselves.

I used to really enjoy this series but it was disapointingly predictable throughout series three and this doesn't bode well for that improving in series four. The kid hanging around and not going away was a give away to his involvement and the ambulance showing up, might as well had bomb written on it's side. For that matter what about plot holes, how did the ambulance suddenlly get past the barracade (what are they only closing the street from one end?), who where the group behind the bomings? Who did the bomber shot? What was the point of that?
  • Simply explosive!

Although things were a bit predicable at times, the story was fantastic ending to last seasons finale, Lo-Fi. Much of the shows suspense centered around Hotch's futile attempts to get an injured Kate to the hospital in time to save her life. A tatical decision made by the team put a serious roadblock in the way of bringing much needed medical attention their way. While I didn't find the intended target of the next terrorist threat all that exciting, finding out where the bomb was hidden as well as who the leader of the terrorist group was, made up for some of the weaknesses in the story. Center to the story is Morgan's daring feat to find a safe place for the bomb to explode. Morgan's actions proved front and center that he is very much the lone wolf of the team puts the most trust in Garcia, which doesn't make for a great team leader, as Hotch was wise to point out. The best part of any CM episode are the moments between Garcia and Morgan. Luckily for us, Morgan will be staying with the BAU for a very long time which can only serve to make his bond with his Baby Girl grow stronger.
  • What a Continutaion.

Last seasons finale left us all wondering who was blown up in the end or was it the whole team. This season's opener continued with the explosion scene and we find that all except Hotch are accounted for. We find hotch wandering around the scene until he realizes he's dazed and katherine is badly hurt. Police ems and bomb squad finally arrived but wont get nearer due to the regulations after 9-11 and we find the bomber is acting to help hotch but not really. The bobmber dies on the subway tracks hotch is ok katherine dies in the O.R.. The mastermind sets the bomb in the garage and the team corners him while Morgan drives the bomb away to central park where it detonates and the mastermind kills himself rather than be captured. Once great writing and great acting.
  • Just great.

I was ansiously waiting for this episode since last season because like everyone else i was wondering which van has exploded.
    I was glad to see that it was not the van from any major character or else i would be very upset.
    Overall the episode was great, with a little annoing moments, some great ones, like the end. But i have to say that something got me really disapointed, actually 2 things, first it was obvius that the boy was the bomber, and second it was more obvius yet that the paramedic was somehow involved in the whole thing, and to know that so soon was kinda disappointing for me.
  • Honestly, it doesn't get much better than this!

This was certainly an amazing episode of Criminal Minds, and I loved absolutely every minute of it! I was very sad at several points, and this was certainly a very emotional episode, but it was also the continuation of a great case, and also a very suspenseful episode.

Without trying to spoil or give much away, I thought that it was so disappointeing with who had to die, but I'm glad lal the main characters are safe. That is the important thing!

I would highly recommend this episode, as it had absolutely every aspect of a great episode, and it does this show proud! Great start to the new season, and I can't wait to see more!
  • Extremely good even if a little guessable!

As I said above this was an extremely good episode and also a highly anticipated one, at least from my point of view. Usually I hate it when a show cops out of killing off a main character but I have to say that in this case I am glad they did as I love all the main characters, which is rare! The begining was very good and I wasn't sure whether or "Sam" was a bad guy but when the paramedic came in I knew he was! Possibly because it was Adoni Maropois the terrorist from 24 Season 6 (which was brill) but it was just obvious. I was also screaming at the tv for Hotch not to get in the ambulance as I thought the paramedic was going to blow up a hospital as soon as I saw the Security Service guys I knew my suspicions were correct! Even though this episode stole the terrorist off of 24 and the ending off of the film Arlington Road (one of my favourites ever) it was still fantastic and I love it! The acting was at its superb usual standard and I love Morgan! It was so in character for him to do that and Garcia to be mad at him. I love Hotch and his speech to Morgan about how he isn't ready yet to lead his own team. Just hope Morgan listens and tries to trust people more - this leads to interesting character development and more interesting episodes and a deeper look at Morgan.
    All in all, a truly spectacular episode!!!!!!! Well done and Thank You to everyone involved :D
  • What a season premier!

A perfect example of a procedural show striking that delicate balance of character driven vs weekly storyline. Everyone I know that likes the show eagerly anticipated the conclusion of last seasons finale. All the characters were well represented, there was plenty of tension for Hotchner to deal with, and some incredibly touching moments for Morgan and Garcia. With some of the things that were brought out it will be very interesting to see how things go for some of the characters this year. For example, Morgan might work a little more on trusting other team members in the field, and maybe Hotchner will slow down just a little so he can enjoy his son. Whatever happens I know one thing for sure, I'll be tuning in every Wednesday night.
  • A Morgan like episode! Above and beyond!

Morgan would indeed go out of his way. Above and beyond the call of duty. Shemar Moore played the role to perfection. And that he really was awesome, along with the others. Hotch, the team leader, was great in this. And that he also would go beyond the line of duty. Despite interferrances with both the Secret Service and the military even, the FBI team showed that you can't win or achieve anything without a thing called teamwork. Garcia really didn't want to hear Morgan's "last words!" Trying to tell him to save it. Both of them have great chemistry with one another. Hope we see moments like that. JJ and her boyfriend being with one another was also romantic. Great premiere that went above and beyond.
  • A bomb goes off in Kate's SUV, with Hotch as an eye witness. Who's the bombers, and what's their target? Even when our man is in the hospital, its not over.

It was nerve-wrecking, although personally I found it a bit obvious who the bomber was. The moment Hotch got into that ambulance, I thought "no, no, no, no!" And I also suspected that Sam maybe wasn't calling the hospital, but I wasn't sure about him. It was exciting, although I think these shows tend to be a bit pompous with these bomb plots. CSI NY, CSI Miami, NCIS, L&O, Criminal Minds - team threatened/hit with bombs, terrorist attacks - sure, 911 kept everyone on edge, but sometimes these shows overdo it a little. The plot is kind of used, is my point. A very good (and classic) season opening, but not as sore and intimate as it should be. It didn't show enough of the characters we've all missed during the summer, not enough character moments.
  • awesome premiere

So the show comes back right where it left off. The SUV that exploded was the female agent that Hotch was with. I loved his reactions and I loved Morgan coming to the rescue...awesome character moments. It was creepy how the bomber ran away just to end up electrocuting himself...that kid was crazy. I suspected the ambulance when it pulled up and I was surprised it took the team so long to figure that out. I guess they were too occupied with Hotch. The ending of the episode when Hotch and Morgan talked to each other about the promotion was great; hopefully it means he won't leave. Overall, great conclusion and suspense. I was on pins and needles the whole time. Garcia was classic. Great character episode and worth the wait - though it would have been more interesting if one of the BAU members had died...
  • THE example of why I watch this show.

Of my vast review of Season Pass shows on my TiVo, the only one out of place is Criminal Minds, typically because I stick to the mindless comedies and Comedy Central staples. CM, however, is one that I cannot miss, and "Mayhem" is a PRIME example of that.

My mother commented to me after the show that the episode (combined with the season finale) would have made a perfect movie, one I definitely would have paid $10 to see. I love the chemistry between the entire cast. I especially love the chemistry between Garcia and Morgan (is anyone else hoping for a little hookup, hoping it doesn't ruin the storyline?) and think Morgan's "thank you" to Garcia was one of the best-written lines I've heard in awhile. The plot continued to keep me guessing but tied it up perfectly at the end, with the exception of figuring out who else was in the hospital where the SS was protecting, or perhaps I missed it entirely.

This season, like all before, is again early proving why I need to continue watching this program, and you know I will be! :)
  • OMG!! I knew this was a great episode and I was right, I was glued to the screen from beginning to end!! This was a series classic!!

In this ep following the 3rd season finale the FBI members find who's responsible for the mayhem, edge of your seat excitement from beginning to end. I couldn't stop watching, very intriguing and cleverly written. This episode was a real treat!! I would have to say this episode of Criminal Minds was one of the best, maybe even the best!! It really kept you guessing and wanting more!! A perfect way to begin the new season of a fantastic show, this will be a killer season I feel, to all the people that work on this show, VERY GOOD!! Keep this up and you'll gain more fans to the show cause everyone will be talking about it!!
  • Mayham Was Extrodiary

I enjoyed every minute I got to watch. I had to record it due to having to go to the hospital but with the clue's, script writing, and the acting as to how much I got to see it was great. The plot was well thought out. The drama was well laid out, and played out. It keep you right there. I just wish that the full episode was available on the computer so that all you would have to do is check out the show to be able to see what you missed. Criminal Minds is becoming one of the greatest shows that comes on televison in a long time. I hope that soon you will add the feature to be able to view the full episodes soon.
  • The conclusion to the explosive finale of Season Three

At the conclusion of last season, the BAU was in NYC to aid the police in catching gunmen shooting random people. In the end, the team figured out they were dealing with terrorists. As they left the building, one of their SUVs was blown up by a bomb.

We now know who was injured. Help was unavailable since the FBI felt that first responders were targets. The area had to be secured before the injured could be reached.

Once at the hospital, the mayhem did not end. More people died on this night before the terrorists were stopped.

The worst part was that the audio feed of my local CBS affiliate went dead for the last 20 minutes. I will have to wait to hear what was said.

This was one of my favorite Criminal Minds episodes ever. A job well done to everyone!
  • Intensely Emotional!

The first 15 minutes where absolutely mindblowing. I could feel the intensity. Garcia's fear about not knowing the team's status. Aaron's panic about Kate and getting her help. Derek in the subway tunnel with one of the bombers. I could feel it all, which shows the excellent writing and directing. I really appreciated the team not really knowing what they are dealing with or why they are doing it. The confusion was very real. I loved watching them put the pieces together. I could feel the anxiety when they realized that the hospital was the target and Aaron drove the bomb right there. It got better when I thought Garcia working with Bartley was really interesting interaction. The emotions of relief when we learned Morgan was okay to the loss finding out Kate died. This episode had you all over the place and it was a FANTASTIC ride. Can't wait for next week.
  • Every moment counted event the very last.

Aaron was right about Morgan, the man is a hero. He would lay down his life for all of them, throw himself on the bomb but he would never count on any of them to make that sacrifice for him. Morgan counts on no one but himself and in reality that would make him a very poor leader. People know when you do not really trust them and Aaron knows that Morgan for all his bravery and self-sacrifice does not really trust him or the rest of the team. He loves them and would die for them but he would be shocked if any of them would take a bullet meant for him. In some ways in this case the hero is the saddest person and the lonliest.
  • Most season premieres aren't as good as their prevous season finales, but this one went above and beyo.nd.

When I saw the season finale in May, I didn't think anything could top it. I was wrong. This episode was fantastic. Most pivotal season premieres need this long and boring exposition, and this one was no exception. Except it was fun. Fun and exciting. Fun, exciting, ad incredible. No more words could describe this. The entire script was very cleverly plotted, as was the terroists' plan to bomb the hospital, but the Criminal Minds team outdid them in the most fantatical and ingenious way ever. Special propls go to Derek, the one that sewn my mind around this episode. Shemar Moore played the role perfectly! All the way to his strret cop demeanor, to his selfless act for Hotch, to the fact that he drove a HUGE bomb to the outsirts of New York City in under 2 minutes and 3o seconds and still survive. Agent Derek has become one of my favorite suspence-thriller characters ever.

At first, the character of Agent Kate didn't grow on me. I liked the character, I just didn't like the character if that makes sense XD. Although, her performance right before death was the nerve-wracking momment. Siena Guillory 'wowed' me with her performance. She made me think of her as a pompous Brit who is nice, but outspoken and rude. Yeah, I know, apparently that's a group now. And she made feel sympathy for her, and even cry at her time of death. Her street scene with Hotch was perfect. Her random rant over 'cinema' and 'movies' made my heart break. I honestly didn't want her to die, but I'm glad she did. Don't get me wrong, I started loving the character to it's entirety at the beginning of this fabulous episode, but it really shook my cells when she died. Such drive of emotion, and it was just perfect.

The next aspect I want to tell you about is the outstanding action moments and visual chemistry that was put into this episode. The vivid scene of cars blwing, bombings, the emblem and feel of the fire...It was just amaing how you could almost feel everything in this episode pop out. And I don't even have a high-definition T.V, so that just says something ^-^. The final scene where the ambulance blew up reminded me a lot of Sept. 11. Just the smoke rising up over looking the vast stage of New York city made me realie the amount of power and raw energy it was made to commit that dramiization. The directer of the episode E. A. Bernano really brought the sense of greif over me with that scene. As agent David Rossi said, this was memorable. And also that this whole thing took place in New York was beyond the perfect setting.

The last aspect is the musical score and the New York cops. The score really brought up the fuel this episode ignited, no pun intended. 'Mayhem' fit the title so well.

And those two detectives, Det. SHore and Cooper, they brought their feeling into the role. Dr. Cooper's persona made me feel a sense of closure, expecially comfort with the connection with Agent Emily. Along with Det. Brossin's rough Italin-New York cop attitude. Bring me back to the movie 'Righteous Kill' XD.

Overall, this episode not only fllowed up on the seaosn finale of season 3, but went above it. I didn't think that was possible. Hopes to more heart-filled, tear-bring, action-packed, heart-stomping, perfect episode like this.
X