Criminal Minds

No Way Out (1)

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 17, 2007 on CBS

7.6
  • Creative filming + creepy guest star = 1 very good episode.

Imaginative directing! When flashback episodes are done well, they can be a great change of pace, and a wonderful way to tell a story. Used here, the flashbacks created dramatic tension out the wazoo – just what the heck were Gideon and Morgan doing in that diner with a serial killer? Fantastic and daring; the flashbacks tied it together.

Carradine played a sociopath so well that I’m a little worried about him. He was smooth and extremely scary – just the way I imagine Ed Kemper and Ted Bundy talked to law enforcement. Manipulate, manipulate, manipulate – even Gideon with his super-profiling abilities is drawn into this guy’s web. I liked seeing our profilers meet their match!

Some minor plot criticism can’t keep me from loving this episode - this is television, after all. Why they couldn’t surreptitiously track Gideon, I don’t know. Why the kids would have “died” if left in the desert wasn’t really believable. And Frank escaping by leaving no tracks must be explained someday or my curiosity may kill me! Nice one, CM, keep thinking outside the box.