Criminal Minds

Painless

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 12, 2011 on CBS

• What an excellent episode!

This gave good screen time to all the team members, meaning there's something for all the fans. Spencer Reid is my particular favorite and the writers didn't disappoint. We learn more about Reid's high school experience (it would be impossible for Reid's high school years to be all like the incident he shared with Morgan during the Owen Savage case, or he really would have been an unsub), Reid loses his temper and curses quite interestingly, almost unloading the beginnings of a devastating profile on journalist sicced on him by Morgan before Hotch reigns him in, and shows Reid's mischievous side at the end. We also see some of Jack, and we get to see echoes of the staggering tragedy that has come to define Hotch's life (ep 5x9); we also see that Hotch is a great dad.

There was one inconsistency, Reid refers to himself as an MIT graduate when we know from season 4 he went to CalTech; I'm reconciling it in my personal canon by ascribing one of Reid's many degrees to MIT, but the major part of his college years still spent at CalTech.

Great episode!