Criminal Minds

Penelope

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 21, 2007 on CBS

• This is one of my all-time favorite Criminal Minds episodes. When Penelope Garcia is shot, the BAU team frantically tries to protect her and find the gunman.

No matter how many times I watch it, I continue to love the episode, "Penelope" for all the team moments and the fantastic writing to keep all the characters reactions consistent with their personalities. Morgan is visibly angry about not being able to protect Garcia and stays by her side throughout the episode. I love how he holds her hand when they are asking Garcia questions and that he insists on sleeping on her couch to keep her safe. He is very protective whenever Hotch and Rossi start drilling her with questions. And despite the serious tone of the episode, Morgan and Garcia still manage to pull off some of their usual playful banter.

Kirsten plays Penelope beautifully in all Criminal Minds episodes, but especially in this one. Her line about not looking at the world and seeing danger everywhere, fits perfectly with Penelope's uncomfortable reaction in previous episodes to the violence and horror the BAU team deals with on a regular basis. I always find Rossi grating in this episode for the way he shows less concern than the rest of the team when Garcia is in surgery, as well as the rough way he insists on questioning her near the end of the episode. However, I rarely see the episodes in chronological order, so I always forget that at this point he has only very recently joined the team and therefore has reason to act the way he does. While he cares about Garcia's well-being, he is not as emotionally invested as the rest of the team simply because he does not know her as well. And his forceful questioning of Garcia is effective at getting the information they needed.

I think this episode is just spectacular. In addition to keeping all the characters consistent, I appreciate all the little consistencies with the writing. Such as immediately after Garcia requests the team not talk about her like a victim, we cut to Rossi and Hotch discussing the victimology of why Garcia?

JJ's line at the end about, "doing whatever is necessary to protect your family," really sums up this episode. "Penelope" really illustrates how the BAU is a family that loves and cares for one another and how they are willing to do anything to keep one another safe.
Hit