Criminal Minds

Perennials

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 12, 2012 on CBS

• Again, I have some mixed feelings and reactions.

This is about my 100th attempt at posting a review for this episode - idk wh y it isn't letting me.

Anyway, enough of that and onto the review itself - I thought this episode had some really good moments such as connecting the birthdays and deathdays on to one another and the whole reincarnation thing was interesting and pretty unique. I liked that aspect of it.

The negative for me was that there was no profiling. They just followed the birthdays and deathdays and all of a sudden we know who the ckiller is and we know who the future victims will be. They didn't believe they needed the BAU's help for that? Surely. It seems to me that the BAU's talents would be better suited to a different case that requires some actual profiling.

The most interesting thing about Season 8 (which has absolutely had a few disappointing episodes, some decent ones but no really amazing ones) is this copycat! I am REALLY loving this storyline an d I can't wait to see where it takes us next!

I wonder which crime he will copy next? Something tells me it is the puppets!
  • Seriously

for the people who give a bad rating, no one is forcing you to watch it. I even have the older episodes series linked to record .... love me some Shemar
  • Where's JJ lately?

Where has JJ been in this season it's been all about Alex and Rossi for some reason and you've barely seen JJ at all I miss her.
  • What Was That Weirdness From Alex?

Did y'all notice the very weird response Alex Blake had when Reid is talking with the medical examiner? It's right around 10.5 minutes into the show. Reid surmises that the unsub is taking the fly larvae to the crime scene. Her response is both grossed out and . . . something else. Very hard to read - any thoughts?
  • older criminal minds>newer criminal minds

4.5
    all these new episodes (season 7 and 8) are all the same. they have a crime to solve and garcia as always pulls up the unsun then they catch him in perfect timing

i wish they would do a bit more explaining on how they profile them and the clues they get to reveal the profile

if you watch the older criminal minds they are much more clever and garcia isn't constantly finding the unsub
  • I am loving this new season

Loved the episode and I love this season. I don't understand why people who obviously don't like Criminal Minds or have any interest in it keep watching episode just to vote 1.5 and say it's horrible and disappointing then don't watch!real fans of the show will agree this season is strong compared to the last two - three season episodes are strong suspense, they explain the motives details it's brilliant!
  • A clever title goes here!

1.5
    another poorly conceived episode.. For a minute I thought I was watching the fox killer was unremarkable and the actor portraying him was terrible, . Reincarnation? really ? Are they hat desperate for ideas? Considering the vast number of cases of prolific killera and mo's this country has to offer , this is the best they can come up with?.
  • Criminal Minds.

Firstly i dont believe in reincarnation & another sick, twisted psychopath is on a killing spree, & why did they have to be maggots in this. When i was eating toasted cheese & tomato sandwiches. But again i did like the twist at the very end, finally the copycat Silencer & Leg Chopper has started with 2 bodies i think being found as Hotch said this is now an open case.

I did like this episode.
  • Extremely boring.

This episode was "only okay". By only okay, I mean it was the same boring casework as I generally see on CSI. I'm used to my brain being stimulated by CM - even the poor episodes I enjoy poking at the plotholes. In this there were few plotholes - it was simply bland.

When I saw the final kidnapping of Aidan the boy, I noticed there were another fifteen minutes to go on the episode. I wondered what on earth they could use to pad this time - typically they identify the unsub within seven to five minutes before the end of the episode. As I expected, there was a very boring, long winded scene of explanation of the unsub's evil plot a la James Bond - I even got the feeling that the director had instructed the actors to speak extra slowly so as to pad out the episode. This was incredibly frustrating. There was virtually no team dynamic, save for the short conversation between Reid and Blake about Reid's cancelled date at the beginning, and then the short Morgan and Garcia scene at the end. The slowness of the episode could have simply been fixed by adding more team dynamic.

The profiling was bordering on painful. I cried out, "Well, duh!" when the team realised the unsub was targeting substitutes for the victims of the previous killer. I fail to understand why it took half an hour of screen time for the team to figure this out. There were many profiling points that were completely off the wall and impossible for the characters to figure out without reading the script. There was much repetition - the unsub would explain something about his character, and next scene the BAU would just repeat this to the viewer. I found myself very bored - which I rarely am while watching CM - and a little sleepy. This may be why I cannot remember specifics on this repitition, but something JJ said towards the end comes to mind.

I won't rewatch the episode for the purpose of remembering more specifics for this review. I should not have to work this hard to enjoy an episode.

I'm very sick of seeing the unsub before the team reveals him. What the writers did early seasons was much more effective. I return to the comparison between the BAU and the Knights of the Round Table: they vanquish the dragons, the monsters under the bed. When the unsub is revealed before the team finds him, he is not a monster; he is a man. A simple person, no more, no less, and therefore not so frightening to the audience.

I fail to understand why the writers continue to do this - I know they're talented. They seem to believe they can churn out whatever simple topic they want and they will get paid regardless. This might be true, but they risk doing a "House" and running a great show into the ground so badly that people cannot even enjoy the early seasons, with their memories of how poorly the show turned still poisoning their mind.

I give this episode a 5, for bland, boring, not good and not bad - a complete "meh".