Criminal Minds

Profiling 101

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM May 09, 2012 on CBS

• Smart. Stylish. Innovative. Wonderful.

Who knew that in this season of terrible, idiotic, out of character writing dwelling more on the villains than on the heroes, displaying raw, stomach-turning graphic displays of torture and very little profiling and interaction that THIS episode could appear. I don't know if they'd been waiting until the fans were completely turned off and ready to bolt, if they had to dust off a script written for season 3 when the emphasis was on smart profiling and character building, or if someone finally started paying attention, but this will go down as one of my favorite episodes ever.

Beautiful concept. Gorgeous set-up with the team addressing a Criminology class. Great reasoning and explanations of profiling, of the long-term time committment catching these people really demands, and the way these criminals can reach out and continue to torture their victims' families as well as the people who chase them. The sometimes playful interaction between Rossi and the outspoken pupil were awesome! Loved the flashbacks, the revelation of Rossi's character, which I've always loved, enthusiastic-excited young Hotch, glass-wearing Reid.

The subtlety of Rossi's need to visit the inmate was beautifully constructed. From his nerves at the get-go, to his cryptic phone calls, to his anxious few words to get Hotch's help - it was played wonderfully. And, of course, the punch in the gut when we all realize that this happens every year on Rossi's birthday is powerful and painful in all the right ways.

Kudos to CM for reminding us why we ever watched this show in the first place. Definite reminders of our first glimpse of Jason Gideon in the profiling class, showing slides of the victims. Lovely shout-outs to the past for the characters. Nice character moments such as Reid and Garcia both saying 'thank you' to the genius comment.

Note to the writers: THIS you do well. This focus on the profiling and profilers is great. The over the top emphasis on the monsters, the zoomed in focus on torture and pain, the crazy grasps at logic like in 'tommy brown' and the completely out of character scenes like the horrible 'cooking at Rossi's' or the 'undercover poker game' in 'Snake Eyes' - those you don't do well. Those you suck at. CM is profiling and intelligence and characters we love.

Further advice: Profiling 101 - rinse, repeat. And repeat and repeat.
Hit