Criminal Minds

Proof

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 28, 2011 on CBS

• Disgusting and cheesy, all at the same time. For CM writers without a clue, no, that's not a compliment.

Reid, who we were given to believe in last week's ep has grown a pair and is willing to make the tough calls and serve up a can of whoop-butt on the baddies has been crying on JJ's shoulder for ten weeks?? TEN WEEKS?? And now he's not only unprofessional, he's acting like a twelve-year-old girl whose best friend just kissed Denny Newman - and she knew I liked him!

What the heck, people?Morgan is all sweetness and light (he's apparently had those ten weeks to work on his anger management issues) and Reid is tossing his (shorn) curls and snapping out like a Real Housewife. (I half expected him to throw his wine in JJ's face and start pulling hair.) Hotch is grinning from ear to ear and Rossi has become weird grandpa again. Who are these people??

The CM machine is broken. Or, perhaps, it has amnesia. It doesn't remember who its characters are or what it's supposed to do. It thinks it's Dexter or Saw and that the viewers are hyped up tweens who can't get enough gore right up there in their faces or criminals whose identity is handed to them in extreme close-up from the get-go.

Watch some season two or three or four.That was Criminal Minds. That was puzzly, brain-power, heroes with slender flaws, elite profilers working together. It was cases where the viewers got to play along and weren't force fed on utterly disgusting images of vicims being brutalized but were reminded of the evil unsubs do with subtlety and imagination. (And it worked better, folks!)

And, if they can't remember how to do team as family, that was the dinner scene in A Real Rain or the end of Revelations. It was the gang having drinks or the women taking down the pseudo-FBI guy with a few well aimed barbs.

My favorite show. It was my favorite show because of crime solvers who were brilliant and fascinating and human beings - but not ill-written parodies of human beings. If it continues to paint the screen with blood and wounds and badly drawn characters, I'm done. I gave it last season to get that out of its system. I'm not giving it any more of my time.

Another reason I kept coming back? Reid. Reid was a charming stumbling genius who could get in your face and put the bullet right where it needed to be while still doubting himself. He kept me drawn in and made me want to see his character development. Dr. Reid was original and not-perfect and funny and sad. And now they've turned him into a prissy diva.

Worst. Episode. EVER. (Yes, I'm including the Russians. AND the other horrible ep this writer gifted us with last season which ended with the bloody couple meeting in the heavens. Crappy writers apparently get hired on full time.)

Note to new viewers. Buy the DVDs of Seasons 1-5. Rent them on Netflix. Then you'll see how completely embarrassing an ep like this one should be.

JJ