Criminal Minds

Reckoner

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 07, 2009 on CBS

• not the best eppisode but still ok.

tonight's eppisode I didn't find all too amazing. I guess even the best of shows can't be completely amazing all the time. I think for me it was because dr. spencer reid didn't play as large of a role as in some of the other eppisodes and I really like his character. I find him so quirky and entertaining. same with Penelope. I just didn't think this eppisode quite lived up to what I have grown to expect from the show. The story wasn't as appealing, but that could be just me. Let the storys keep coming though. Peace out
  • Interesting episode that explained some of David Rossi's past, he's not all what he seems!!

Overall a good episode, true not the best, but it did give us an inside view of David Rossi and his past. It shows why he left his hometown and why he didnt' want to go back!! A very interesting and unique episode, it did keep my interest and was planned out well, but didn't quite reach the magic of the previous or first episode of the season, but an episode worth watching and definitely a memorable episode!! Now that we know more about David Rossi I must say he intrigues me more now than ever, this episode brought out a skeleton from his past. It was also great on how Agent Rossi threw on of the unsubs off his game!!
  • A great episode with great guest stars, humour, depth, action and plenty of Joe Mantegna. Can't go wrong with that. For me, this is the season opener. Criminal Minds came back again. Hey, go Shawn! The first time ever I've applauded a gun-smuggling killer

There is so much to comment on, which is my first point really. The writers and director kept all these balls in the air: the story from the past, the personal consequences of old decisions for Rossi, the current investigation, the touching relationship between Ray and Shawn, the Garcia and Reid humour, a professional Morgan, even Hotchner's stuff was there in balance with the rest. No one story bullied the others. And all was done with pace and assurance. Loved the guest stars. That's one thing that CM is doing better and better these days. Terrific to see Vincent Guastaferro [sp?], a genuinely talented and unshowy actor. He got the detective's slightly bemused eager character perfectly and you could see how the detective was privately enjoying the experience of dealing with the FBI. Cynthia W - the difference between that harsh voice on the phone, and her soft-voiced 'Ben?' when she became frightened - she created so much tension in that opening sequence. Rossi's my favourite character on the show, so it was great to learn more of his past and what makes him work. Interesting that this is the first time we've seen him explain himself to anyone - when he told Hotch the truth of his relationship with Emma. I guess he didn't want the lie to survive. Mantegna is so bloody good. He does bad ass and soft-heart right side by side and you believe in it all. Rossi's interrogation scenes are always intriguing and so it was good to have another. And it's a sign of how things have improved between him and Morgan that Morgan didn't fall out of trust with R in that scene. A few snippets. Hey, they replayed tape from the interview to fill in what had occurred. When does that ever happen on CM? Usually it's as if life could be directed as well as a programme and everything just segues together. In the same vein: Garcia and Reid interrupting each other. At LAST! The profile gets presented each week with one voice after another, and no one interrupts or gets talked down. So this was a pleasure to see. Especially Garcia getting the crossword clue. Ah - and doesn't this sum up the amount of stuff the episode took on? You have the humour of that exchange just moment's before the guy is killed. Shawn and Ray - their relationship was touching. I liked as well that Rossi simply said 'He was my friend' to the judge who called him a criminal. Rossi's honest about the personal things. But when Ray said, 'I'm not helping the FBI; I'm helping an old friend', Shawn understood that rightly to be himself - not Rossi. Honesty is one thing; loyalty is another. These and the judge were the loyal guys who had stuck by each other. I've given it 10, which is ridiculous. Nothing deserves 10. But I guess I'm relieved to have the show back that I can respect and love.
  • Obsessed with the chase and hunt, and justice...

Ok.. This episode in so many ways was very contraversal but I think there was quite much I really liked. The new depth they got to Rossi's char. You never imagined something like that from him but even with that way, with his past, they managed to turn it all into quite positive ending. I mean, the final conversation he had with Hotch in the plain, it had really good and beautiful point.

I also loved the dark tunes and very dark color schema used in the episode. Also some really great camerawork, blending from one scene to other. And the switch in the end, to see the irishman killing that hitman, great twist.

I think in some way this episode lacked little what I love about the show, but it was different and it wasn't bad. It was high stake case, a very random at first and catching.
  • Excellent episode.

Great episode and good to see some background info on Rossi. I'm enjoying the growing relationship between Hotch and Rossi, they're becoming closer as friends and hopefully that will lead to Hotch opening up.

Reid and Garcia were magical. They should always be stuck working with each other. The team are easing back slowly into what is so far an outstanding season. I find it bizarre that people will whine about an episode being terrible just because their favourite character isn't playing a pivotal role. The cries of "too much Hotch" or "not enough Reid" are childish ind prove that those particular people don't get the show at all.
  • We are off to Rossi's hometown on Long Island where a serial killer is targeting people who have been in some way connected to child abuse.

This episode was good in parts but it could have been so much better.

Rossi requests permission to stay behind as he does not want to revisit his hometown but his request is denied by Hotch due to the fact that Reid has not been cleared to fly since he was shot so Rossi has to go along, like it or not.

We can see why Rossi is reluctant when it is revealed that there is a type of mob connection in his past and he uses this connection to get the name of the person he believes to be responsible for the killings, which, given the MO, are clearly 'hits' rather than just a killer on the loose with a perference for a particular type of victim.

The team must find out not only who the hitman is but who ordered the hits in the first place. Rossi finds himself embroiled in all of this and we have a very predictable ending which disappointed me because I don't like being able to figure out exactly what is happening within the first few minutes of an episode starting.

I love this show but, so far, this season has been pretty yawn worthy and I'm very disappointed by that.
  • Interesting

In this episode of Criminal Minds, the following happens. When a series of murder take places on Long Island, the BAU are called in. We soon learn that Rossi is from there, and has to return there for the first time in over 30 years to work on the case. We quick learn that the murders are being committed by a hit man. We also learn that Rossi is friends with a criminal, and he goes to him in hope of finding out who is causing the murders.
    The meeting between the killer and Rossi is arranged, but instead Rossi's friend is killed. Soon they manage to ID the person behind the hit man, as a judge whose wife was killed by a drunk driver. He has cancer and has only 6 months to live. He confesses to setting the murders up, in order for justice to happen (as all of the victims were people he believed escaped going to jail). As he is lead away from the police building, he admits that there is another victim on the list, and at that moment he is shot and killed by the hit man. As we see the team heading home on the plane, we see Rossi telling Hotch that when he gets Haley and Jack back, he should do whatever he can to keep them. As we end we see the hit man, leaving the golf green to go home. He is then killed by a man who worked for Rossi's criminal friend.
  • A lot to like about this episode.

This was definitely a great episode of Criminal Minds, as so many of them are. The case was definitely an interesting one, and as I usually love back-stories into the main characters, this episode certainly didn'ty disappoint on that front either.

The journey into Rossi's hometown was an interesting one, and the case was definitely a unique one. The murders seemed to be committed in a n attempt to restore justice, but all hthat seemed to result was a lto more injustice.

I personally loved the ending of the episode, as it was very satisfying. As for the rest of it, the case and storyline were certainly well written - that is unquestionable. I hope that in the aftermath of this episode, we will get more creative and interesting storylines like this one!

I also wanted to say that I enjoyed the Garcia and Reid teamwork, and it provided a fresh change, although Reid was deffinitely missed on the profiling side of things.

CBS