Criminal Minds

The Big Game

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Feb 04, 2007 on CBS

• I love character-driven episodes. Interesting plot is excellent too but when it's not anchored in good interaction, it doesn't do much for me. And this episode just felt too... scattered I would say.

The bar scene at the very beginning was nice but then, they sort of spread the agents out and I missed them interacting as a team. But maybe it was because the production managed to win such a big guest star that they needed to give him much more space than they usually do. I freely admit that I was never a fan of Dawson's Creek so James van der Beek didn't make me squee and flail and run around like a headless chicken. He was good in his role, playing the submissive and dominant parts pretty well - although I think it was pretty obvious what was going on there. Though as a guest star, I like Don Swayze better. He plays the bad guys so incredibly well! And it was so nice to see Bill Smitrovich again. Man, I used to really like that guy some years back!

But back to the episode itself. I don't know, but I felt like maybe it was unnecessary cruel and bloody. I know that there are cases like that and madmen like that out there, but was it really necessary to show the gory details of blood puddles and bloody smears etc. etc. I think that the people of today can imagine such a stuff really well. There is no need to be so graphic. I don't know, it just felt like a cheap horror movie where they replace good plot with a good amount of blood and gore. That kind of disappointed me. So far, this show was about nerve-wracking interaction and psychology. This just felt... cheap. And as I said, I missed the interaction between the team members. Though I do admit that I'm a Reid!girl (I have a thing for geeks, yeah :P). So the last four minutes - and especially the promo for the next episode - did make me feel better about this ep. I still hope though that the upcoming episode will be better than this one was.