Criminal Minds

The Crossing

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM May 07, 2008 on CBS

• Two cases for the BAU to investigate at once. One, a woman being stalked and the other, a case where a woman has shot her sleeping husband.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the concept of the team splitting up and taking on two cases, in fact, in theory, it could have been very effective - if the script had managed to have any credibility ...

A woman is being charged with murder after shooting her husband. There are claims of spousal abuse, but she has none of the bruises or breaks which normally accompany such allegations. To make matters worse, her two children are very much on the side of their dead father, claiming that their mother was a terrible cook, housekeeper, wife and mother and extolling the virtues of dad who was extremely patient and gentle with her, considering that she could never get anything right ...

Meanwhile, another woman has a major problem too. She has been stalked for a long time and across several states by a man who simply won't give up. Gifts, photographs and all the usual creepy things expected from a stalker are exhibited here and when he sends photographs which clearly show he is changing his appearance to look as much like her boyfriend as possible, the team know that he is clearly a very dangerous character.

My problem with this episode was the fact that I felt no sympathy or connection whatsoever for the stalking victim, in fact, I didn't like her at all and so, I found myself not really caring what happened to her. I wasn't at all invested in her fate. The OTHER woman who had killed her 'devoted' husband was far more interesting than the stalking victim but the female cop who seemed determined to send her to prison really got up my nose.

Bad writing, boring storyline and unsympathetic characters do not a good episode make. I can't findmuch to recommend this one.
Hit