Criminal Minds

The Internet Is Forever

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM May 19, 2010 on CBS

7.7
  • Technically inaccurate. A CM problem in general, this episode reveals that the technical advisors and producers need to represent the Internet, and the Web, with greater accuracy.

While a lot of the technical detail in Criminal Minds appears to be logical, to anyone in networking and Internet-related technologies there's a lot of buzzwords and no real substance to some technical explanations. This has been so widespread in popular media that those of us in the technical fields block it out. I'm sure folks in other fields also find flaws and a certain superficiality that television imposes. I wonder if the lack of precision is due to a dumbing-down factor, poor technical advisors and/or poor implementation of advice, a lack of care for fact-checking or all of the above. This episode had some intelligent comments and interesting nuances about technology, but generally speaking the lack of precision in regards to systems and networks, Internet and Web technologies is high. The theme brought these flaws out enough so it was difficult for me to block, hence the lower rating than normal.
AFNPAC