Criminal Minds

The Popular Kids

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 30, 2005 on CBS

• You can only do so much with one character before people start to lose interest...

Anyone who has read my series review of Criminal Minds knows perfectly well that I watch the show because of my fascination with Dr. Spencer Reid. However, sometimes, you just have to pull back and let some other characters do some developing.

Since the beginning of the series, we've been shown that Spencer is a genius, and takes a lot of crap because of it. It's that kind of thing that has viewers rooting for him every time he does something on his own, without the others to carry him through it, even if it mean he almost gets killed. But really, now they're taking it a bit too far.

Every episode I've seen personally (which is all but two, I believe), has a least one part where Spencer makes some kind of development. First he solved a major part of the serial arsonist in "Compulsion", then we learn he failed his weapons certification in "L.D.S.K." but then goes on to save the day after getting the snot kicked out of him by Hotchner. In "Derailed," it seemed like Elle was going to be the one to save the day, but then Spencer stepped up and prevented the untimely demises of an entire train full of people. The most recent episode "The Popular Kids" showed a bit more personal side of the doctor, revealing he is plauged by recurring nightmares. Then he almost gets himself killed. Again.

I don't know what it is about this guy, but I'm even getting a bit sick of the character focus, and I basically proclaim my love for him every time he's on screen. Something has to be done about this, and soon. Otherwise, it's going to turn into yet another rip off of Law and Order, specifically Special Victims Unit, by focusing on one person just because they're award winning or up for one.
Hit