Criminal Minds

The Silencer

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Sep 26, 2012 on CBS

• Not too bad at all.

While I concede that this episode was not strong enough to be a season opener, I found it quite enjoyable overall. Just a little bit hokey there in the beginning when the unsub escapes whilst on the way somewhere else - shades of 'Silence of the Lambs'. I don't enjoy knowing whom the team is tracking before the credits roll and I REALLY hope that the writers stop doing this because it takes away a lot of the suspense if we know what is going on before our intrepid crime fighters do.

Nice touch that Reid and Garcia had caught up with Emily whilst in England but I'm glad Morgan finally put a lid on Penelope's rants about SSA Blake. Speaking of the new girl, I was impressed with what I saw. Jeanne Tripplehorn is a seasoned actress who knows her craft and that was obvious here. She didn't appear awkward around the team, and vice versa. Good cast chemistry should equal a good season, providing they have some decent writers and plots, of course.

Having Reid warm up to Alex Blake and clearly enjoying her knowledge and blending it with his own was a brilliant move by the producers. Everybody loves Reid and if Reid likes Alex, then the viewers probably will too. I enjoyed the fact that she put her points across clearly whilst making certain to clarify what she meant when speaking with Hotch. If she had been a know-it-all right from the beginning, that would have put a lot of people off.

I really liked the fact that there was plenty of actually profiling done and reasoned deductions, instead of jumping to conclusions which have no basis, something that happened far too often in seasons 6 and 7 for my liking.

If I'm being honest, I thought the case itself was very weak and, as I said, not nearly good enough for a season opener but I will let in slide a little in the hope that the main focus was to introduce the new agent. I wasn't actually all that interested in the unsub, his victims or his past and that's never a good thing when watching a crime procedural. Weighing everything up, though, it was more than passable and, at the very least, watchable. I hope we have a good season to come.
CBS