Criminal Minds

The Silencer

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 26, 2012 on CBS

7.3
  • s0801 Silencer - average for criminal minds, awesome if it was a different show

Characters: Trying to make sense out of what I felt is harder than I thought. First off, while I miss Prentiss it has nothing to do with how I feel about Blake. One character has little to do with how I feel about others. My first and overall impression: I didn't like the character. Not at all. I felt she was dry, cold, and disconnected. I don't know if it is how the actress played the character, how the character was written, or the character period. I should point out that this isn't the first time I've started to dislike a character that I later liked. But so far - don't like her. Didn't like how she doesn't flow with the rest of the team. I'm all for new characters and change so it's not that at all. I just didn't get a warm happy feeling. At the end when she communicated with the unsub I did gain some respect for her - but wish she'd have tried to at least connect with him a little more emotionally. I saw this as a very cold and dry attempt on her part. I'm hoping we learn more about why she's so cold. Garcia is my favorite for interacting with other characters. I'm hoping she can Penelope her into warming up and perhaps relaxing a bit. I would have been fine without having an additional agent - especially if Strauss is going to be seen more. But time will tell.

The overall story was alright - I liked the way they figured things out - how he wanted to be in solitary, etc. It gets harder each season to bring something fresh and I thought the idea of the cochlear implant was a good one. I enjoyed the flashback - I like when they establish why and what caused the unsub to become what they are. I've read a lot of reviews and comments about if this was good for a season opener or not - my thought is that unless the previous season's finale leaves some major question that requires an answer - the opener is just another episode that needs a bit of continuation from where we last left off. They returned from their vacations (explains their absence from our tv). Prentiss is elsewhere. (explains why she's not on our tv) We meet a new agent (this wasn't really explained well YET for me - why she's needed, etc) There's nothing left they had to answer.

So overall, glad to have the show back on. Waiting on final thoughts on new lady. Hoping to warm up to her..