Criminal Minds

True Genius

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 18, 2012 on CBS

• Greater character development than good plot.

There is a lot to be said about a captivating plot, but this episode unfortunately wasn't it. The goal of this particular story wasn't to be captivating like some of the other episodes we've seen, but was instead written to explore the characters. The Zodiac was a nice twist, but he was mostly symbolic; a representative of the Unsub's own person. This episode was great for another reason entirely.

We see Reid as he struggles with and ultimately accepts his own intelligence and place on the team. We also see a brief window of his potential - two characters with similar IQs who have made millions; one which, as Reid puts it, will "change the world." We see another who has made little use of his gift and Reid, somewhere in between, wondering if he's doing himself justice by working at the FBI.

We see Prentiss and Reid's friendship returning to normal, too. There's been a lot of grumbling about Reid acting childishly in regards to being lied to by some of the people he trusted the most for better part or most of a year, about something so sensitive as a close friend's death, but I'm not going too far into that. Prentiss is obviously making an effort to heal what their predicament broke and the friendship and teasing here was fantastic.

Not only that, but the insight into the dynamics of a friendship, the interactions, between geniuses was compelling. The question, "How does an average person fit in a relationship with a genius?" comes up more than once, and the question of defying expectations does, too. "You don't hear much about prodigies when they're older."

The team's participation in this case was minimal, really, mostly Garcia and Rossi. Hotch was particularly funny in one scene, using that deadpan humor of his. No, the team's participation was supportive - they were there for Reid, didn't question his skill as a profiler or investment in the case as we've seen so often before; they trusted him and his skills.

The whole episode gave off a very strong family vibe; the kind of thing the hardcore fans keep writing about when the story's over. I loved it - it wasn't perfect, you know, but it was fantastic anyway.
JJ