Criminal Minds

Zugzwang

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 16, 2013 on CBS

• Best episode I've seen in a while.

This episode brought me back to the days of the early seasons. The days of drama - not gore, the days of real profiling, and the days of phenominal writing, acting, and directing. What has perhaps been slipping in those areas recently just sprung back up from the grave and truly gave audiences a praise-worthy performance during this episode.

Allthough some may argue the ending was unnessesary and that Maeve shouldn't have been killed, I thought those last final scenes were some of the most powerful works of art I have seen in a while on television, and although I, along with everybody else would have loved to see Reid and Maeve happily skipping into the sunset at the end, I understood why it ended the way it did.

And after re-watching the final scenes. After debating in my head over and over again what should have happened instead. I reached the conclusion that I wouldn't change a thing.

The outcome was, as strange as it sounds, horrifyingly beautiful. Wonderfully powerful. And I'm not sure if I will ever forget the images from those final scenes in this episode. Richard Walters' "Infinity Street" playing in the background was about as perfect a choice for a song as possible. And seing as I'm just starting to ramble at this point, let's conclude things by simply saying "well done" and "bravo" and "thank you".
CBS