A Crisis Community
NBC (ended 2014)
I just watched the fourth episode of Crisis and I was wondering what everyone else’s conclusion is so far.

I personally think the show asks you to suspend your disbelieves A LOT. That already starts with the basic premise of one guy planning and executing this sort of endeavor without anyone noticing. After all the NSA pretty much monitor every communication out there. Yes the guy was CIA, but that is only one branch of a pretty large intelligence-service-tree.

Then there are the parents. These are supposed to be the richest, most powerful and most powerful people, yet except for the President, they all act like chickens with their heads cut off all of a sudden. The chief-of-staff, Senator etc. just willy-nilly compromising the national security of the US? Ok, only the President swears an oath, but still. You would think a few more would show at least SOME resistance.
And then there is the Meg, sister of that FBI-Agent. I’m not really sure what to think of her. I get that there is an antagonistic relationship with her sister, but not even now you try to be honest with her after you did what the kidnappers asked and you DON’T get your daughter back? Still, I think story-wise she is set up to help or at least act against the kidnappers.

That brings us to the main issues I have:
  • Why is it, that in stories like this, people just do not communicate and share information? Everyone working against everyone else just won’t work at all.
    But then, you give all files (redacted, but still) about a ONGOING investigation of that magnitude to a private citizen who you KNOW you shouldn't trust?
  • If all those kids get kidnapped, the first assumption you have to make is that the kidnappers want to force the parents to DO SOMETHING. Therefore, the first thing you should do is either sequester the parents or at least put them under tight surveillance, ESPECIALLY with those kinds of parents.
  • Some technical aspects just seem to be ignored: How come no one tries to find out how the kidnappers can route phonecalls to supposedly secure phones in the White House? What about knowledge about those supposedly super-secret drones that got downed?
  • Why, if the Presidens son is involved, do they not use the executive power of the President more, especially with the CIA?

Right. To the positive:
  • I think the show succeeds in keeping the suspense high, even though they sort of have found a “parent-of-the-week” formula.
  • The main pairing of agents Dunn and Finley is interesting, they have (imho) a good chemistry and an interesting story-arc so far. From opponents to partners, including all the trust- and other issues that come with that.
  • The CIA-angle right now is interesting and story-wise seems to have the most potential. But it also (conveniently?) narrows the story to the two main agents plus the FBI-boss.

What I’m ambivalent about:
  • The story of the kidnapped kids: I suppose in a story like this, you have to show what happens with the kids, how they deal and all that. But that part is not really the strong side of the story. The only kid I'm really interested in at this stage is the daughter of the mastermind, she seems remotely interesting.
  • The dad being the mastermind is ok as a setup, but does he honestly expect his daughter to like him better in the end? I guess you really have to be insane to come up with a plan like this to make your kid love you.
  • The most interesting kid, the overweight one from the first episode, seems to be all out of the show. I really hope they don’t do some CW-style soap with those other kids, that would be SO disappointing.

So MY PERSONAL conclusion is (to quote Kaitlin from the pilot review):
Yes, the show is TOTALLY REDICULOUS - but still entertaining. It is not the best a show of that format can be on TV, but is not totally unwatchable either. If we compare formats: compared to True Detective for example, it can not keep up at all. But compared to Awake (or the like)it is doing ok.

So, with me, the show goes to my DVR and I will (binge)-watch it at some point if I have the time and nothing better is on.

What do you guys think?

poll

64 Comments
Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
What happened to the two kids let go this episode (ep4)? The President's Chief of Staff's kid, and the ex-Marine's kid? They let them go, we saw them wake up in an alley, with homeless people? All they mentioned this episode, was the Pakistani Ambassador's kid being let go. They are not mentioned in the next episode either.
Flag
I have no idea. And I have not yet watched ep 5/6, so I don't know if we will get more info on that.
Flag
I just watched ep 5, and nope no mention. Maybe they let them go in LA or something? :)
Flag
Sorry, i meant they were let go in episode 3.
Flag
In all honesty my main reason for watching this show is Gillian Anderson (loving her work on both the excellent Hannibal and The Fall) and kinda have to agree with most.
The show is high paced and entertaining, I already figured that some level of belief suspension would have to take place so that made it easier for me just to switch off a bit and enjoy. Am not really interested in any of the kids to apart from maybe the 'kidnappers' daughter as seeing their relationship play out in the inevitable aftermath may be interesting, note that I said may.
Gillian does her best with a weak script, am not entirely sure where her character is heading at the mo but am willing to give it time as she is always watch able (although she is no saint and has turned out the occasional questionable performance). The male lead is very good whereas his female agent counterpart (Meg's sis) is pretty lame and have a feeling the whole "I'm your real mum" story may be yaaawn.
The show's biggest weakness is it's shelf life, they can't possibly drag it out anymore than 1 season and then what? My hope is it has a good first run and then bows out nicely wrapped up.
More+
Flag
Well, they could do like 24, and move on to a new Crisis?
Flag
Good idea, although would hate to lose Gillian.
Flag
i am so afraid of growing old. i am in my tween years . so i dont hate teens and tween shows . i like most of them where as everyone else reject them coz they cant stand teens. i wonder what the hell i will do when i reach my 30s . what the hell i will watch. this show is stupid. but i easily ignore all stupidity and enjoy it.
Flag
i stand corrected.. i can't stand susie.. the fbi agent.. replace her please.. thanks
Flag
I gave up because I just can't stand the kids. Horrible acting and writing for half of the show.
Flag
I left the series after the first quarter of episode 2. This show is way too ridiculous, the dialogues are bad, the plot does not make any sense, etc ...
Flag
I believe, in the end, we'll find that Meg is behind much of what's going on, or at least the reason for it all.
Flag
You are right, you have to suspend your disbelief a lot. You can put surveillance on the parents. But once they took classified information out of the CIA then you know what the kidnappers end game is. Which is to disrupt the national security of the United States by utilizing the parents unique positions. Once that is realized then the POTUS has the power to detain them indefinitely because of the threat to national security whether they are some of the most powerful people in the country or not. And then in doing so, the only kid likely to die would be the President's son because the Kidnappers would try to force the President to not detain everyone. But once the detentions were enacted then the kidnappers would have no moves. But if they did that then the show wouldn't be that interesting.

I watching because it is kind of entertaining and I like the chemistry between the two agents. I do however wonder why Gillian Anderson is on this show. Everyone else I can understand but this seems kind of below her.
Flag
Watched the pilot and thought it was decent, but the more I watch...the more its reminding me that cancelled show....Hostages...so thats not a good thing.
Flag
They will be some ridiculous elements to shows like this. Shows like The Following, Blacklist and POI all have it. As long as it is not over the top and most plots remain smart, it is watchable. If the writers know how to create tension and excitement it would make average viewers come back for more.

I liked it that the villain who have a CIA background for a long time is smart. I do not think his goal was to made his daughter love him. His goal is to expose the CIA and to clear his name for being the scapegoat.

I have no problem believing parents would do anything for their kids especially since it has been proven that the kidnappers is keeping their word and not DOING means your kids get killed.

What is more unbelievable is that since they are so powerful, I am surprised they do not secretly do something about it but I think that is changing. That story is reserve for Gillian Anderson.

I was worried if the show goes into parent of the week formula, it might get boring. However last episode was the most exciting and I think they moved the story along even if they had the parent of the week which is really good.

I do think the show cannot be more than 13 episodes or it might really get into ridiculous territory. It should have a different story if it gets a second season. The following made a mistake of having Joe vs Ryan Hardy even for season two.

More+
Flag
I'll keep watching.
Yes it is ridiculous. But it is well played, good actors generally doing good work. Sort of like The Following, but with more competent Feds.
The antagonism between agencies (federal and otherwise) has always puzzled me but, apparently, it's a lot like that in real life as well.
Flag
I am glad you mentioned competent Feds as I think the show is much smarter than The Following which relies mostly on the charisma of the main leads.
Flag
Awesome show, am glad someone reviewed it on tv.com(well somewhat reviewed). I was hooked from episode 1 and its been getting better since. The plot holes are minimal and plot is so labyrinthine just when you think you had it figured out .....you dont! Watch it folks you'll be glad you did!
Flag
I'm sorry but I won't be doing a weekly review. One review per week (on Continuum) is enough for me. It's 4-5h to write one of those - and I DO have a life, so one review is enough. ;)

This was more of a one-off, because usually there are those 4-ep reviews on TV.com and since noone else did one, I did. And I basically wrote everything in about an hour, so thats ok :)

Also, I really wanted to know what people think about the show...
Flag
While it does require a suspension of disbelief, I still think it's a decent show. One problem I had at the beginning was the FBI Agent's issue with the Secret Service agent crap for being shot. Sorry, you're trusting a seasoned vet, NO ONE expect him to shoot you. Not his fault, shouldn't have been an issue.

One thing I do like is the "intelligence" of the villain. They're several steps ahead of the feds and because the guy is ex-CIA it makes some sense. Plus, for the most part, he keeps his word; kids are being released when parents cooperate. But what I really like is his motivations. He's got a "noble cause" so that justifies his actions his mind and he acts according.

The only real problem is with the parents not coming forward (but they justify it by knowing their actions get their kids back), the sister tension (feels inappropriate at times) and the plight of the children. I almost don't have sympathy for them sometimes. I find it odd that they arrest the parents after the fact when it's obvious they're being coerced. Sequester the parents already! But doing something that obvious would ruin the show and that's where the logic truly breaks down in the name of show continuity.

Still, I'm going to keep watching because I am curious to see what happens next and when they're going to figure out what operation he's trying to expose and thus "unmask" the villain.
More+
Flag
That was a fair look at the show. You would plug in several other shows that fit what you are talking about (i.e. Helix, The Following). Great job. You make me what to go back and watch last Sunday ...I actually gave up after 3. I start my review of Believe right after so I don't really give it a fair shake. I am going to stream it and do just that - thanks to this story.
Flag
Seriously Ed? Helix doesn't belong in the same league as The Following. I know that Helix, can be over the top a lot. But that is it's charm, it doesn't take it self too seriously. Whereas The Following is just plain bad. Though i did stop watching it after s1e10, i can't imagine it got any better.
Flag
I wasn't comparing the shows themselves. I 100% agree with you - I couldn't look away from Helix like it was a car wreck. It was maddeningly entertaining in it's own weird way. I cannot even LOOK at the Following because the premise is so damn stupid I can't even look at it like its campy (like Helix) and enjoy the ride. It's stupidity just drives me away. Helix's great premise and stupid CHARACTERS actually draw me in.
Flag
Thanks for the praise mate.
Flag
Usually I would give shows like this some more time and they do have some good actors. But I gave up. I'm just bored. The show is probably targeted to kids and teenagers, as there are a lot of kids and teenagers and adults acting like teenagers. I guess I'm just too old to get used to this - and not interested in trying.
Flag
The kids are awful, the acting of the mastermind is bad, the parents are ridiculous, the story is as thin as a sheet of paper, but still: Dunn and Finley are great and somehow it stays sort of interesting...
Flag
How many episodes are planned for this season? The way I see things now, it won't complete the season.
Flag
Might be you are right. I just had a look at the numbers, and it seems they have been dropping to a measly 1.0 in the 18-49 demo rather quickly. Not really enough for NBC.
Flag
No surprise there. It's like saying 'Killer Women' had good numbers.
Flag
I've been watching it out of nothing else around catching my eye. But for the type of show it is, I feel the most like-for-like comparisons are things like The Blacklist and Person of Interest, and it lags well behind those. I would even say Believe, is better.

All of these shows require the suspension, or complete disengagement, of disbelief. How successful they are tends to rely on how compelling the story is and how engaging the characters are to allow you to tolerate the more ridiculous elements of the story. However, the thing that stops me enjoying this show more than I do is, as you point out, that these high-end parents just blindly follow the kidnappers orders on the off-chance their child gets returned. Bear in mind that they don't know who the kidnappers are, this could be a terrorist cell, a foreign country planning invasion, but to hell with the future of the country and the lives of everyone in it as long as their kids are safe. It is almost like a mantra, or catchphrase in the show "are my kids safe", "I would do anything for my kids", on a personal level, after 4hrs, I am finding that tedious and repetitive. When the Chief Of Staff got involved, it kind of pushed it to far for me
More+
Flag
I have kids not I am not powerful but I think it is very believable that most parents would do anything for their kids even if they really do not want to.

I do not think it is unbelievable for the parents to do anything for the kids. What is more unbelievable is that since they are so powerful, I am surprised they do not secretly do something about it but I think that is changing. That story is reserve for Gillian Anderson if not she will not be one of the main leads.
Flag
I'm very disappointed with this show. I gave it a go because of Hostages but It's a glitzy procedural masquerading as kidnap drama. It reminds me a little of The Blacklist in this respect but "Mastermind" father is not a patch on Reddington. I'm not sure about continuing and will probably watch the next episode before deciding but suffice to say within 24hrs of watching, I've forgotten what happened. That says it all really.
Flag
I agree, compared to The Blacklist it does fall behind. The simple fact is: Crisis has no James Spader.
Flag
According to my list of shows I gave up on, I already made the decision to give up at ep4. That saves me bothering to catch up with it tonight.
Flag
Actually,
Your numbers:

1-- is not a big issue. When I was a Marine the chain of command can get entangled in numerous issues with communication during something like this. In fact one of the big issues during the 911 Hearings we found out just how badly the cross-communication was between the CIA, FBI and NSA during the pre-911 period. Of course the Patriot Act was supposedly the cure to NSA. FBI, And CIA communication and operating area issues. Frankly, the only thing I've seen it do is give the government carte blanche access to the privacy of the average citizen under the guise of being "BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY" and even the most recent attack in Boston has proven that communication is not exactly perfect.

2) Well, I think the first assumption to make when many rich and powerful people's children get kidnapped is ransom. It is a very popular tactic by both Narco-Cartels and so-called Narco-Terrorist operations in Central and South America e.g. Mexico and Columbia. However, once the ransom demand that usually shows up 24-36 hrs later depending security procedures of the Kidnappers is-- you have to start to see what other types of value these people represent to a potential kiddnapper. Most likely a smart kidnapper who wants to keep these people off guard would ask for an astronomical sum of money as ransom and use the negotiation period to really blackmail your targets. So I agree these writers need some help.

3) Actually, the more technologically advanced and well versed in the US procedures the smaller the list of potential kidnappers could be for this operation. That is the double edge sword being so well versed in US protocol. The more you know and show you understand the fewer people have that information so the suspect list becomes very small very fast.

4) The President's son is probably the worst person to kidnap. Partly because it would most likely bring the gloves off the CIA, FBI, NSA and SOCOM -- so no way would be able to stay in one location for any length of time.

I don't find any redeemable aspect of this series so far. I think the story is overly contrived to the point of being in contention for the DARWIN AWARD FOR TELEVISION CREATORS. It is supposed to be gripping and intelligent and usually you find yourself each episode trying to shut off your brain to make the story work.

For example-- The FBI Agents and Secret Service Agent take out two mercs that are ex-spec ops... Yeah, right. That is highly unlikely. But if you did manage to take out three spec ops individuals you have now 3 people with records. No way could Gibson manage to hide every record for these people. Once he's out of the CIA he doesn't have the access necessary to do so. So these guys would have records and a back-story and this would help them find out what and who've they've been in contact with in the last year or two. And this plan would need 5-6 years to plan it out. So, that means shell corporations and so on for funneling money and equipment. This would all eventually lead back to GIBSON!

So, like they always say-- follow the money! It is extremely hard to hard all traces of money. Especially if you have the NSA, CIA and FBI all searching for your trail. So I don't think this series really even tries to make the FBI's action reasonable. In fact this is just a flasher version of USA's Covert Affairs with the FBI center stage instead of the CIA.

Finally, I'm ambivalent about the writers' intellect... I'm pretty sure they aren't drooling morons-- but they are without a doubt members of the special ed continuum.
More+
Flag
Concerning the first point, you are undoubtedly right. Somehow it just keeps bugging me on TV shows, and not just this one. In real life I have nothing to do with this (or any) government stuff.

With these kids, I disagree that you would think about ransom first. You don't kidnap the presidents kid for money. In fact, you defenitly would want to avoid that specific kid, because of all the heat it undoubtedly brings down on you. So in my mind, money is not the first conclusion in this scenario.
With a couple of rich kids, especially in a "3rd-world country" (or a country not as technologically advanced as the US and more currupt) you would be right.

I am usually willing to accept some level of unrealistic stuff, but this show asks a lot of that. So in the end it is a show that I watch while doing laundry or cooking.
Flag
I would suspect ransom first-- because three reasons:

1) It is not clear that US President's son was a target or a win-fall. There is a school bus full of kids with mostly rich parents. So, it is hard to say if the President's Kid was a primary target or just a happy coincidence. Now, you'll have to wait for more evidence to sort out a lot of things.

2) Your first and best guess is follow the money or follow the potential sources of money.

3) It is what you would expect from a kidnapping like this. So you play this card first until the evidence proves otherwise.

Let's be honest the entire show is so contrived that it needs the viewer to turn off his or brain totally just to get through an episode.

Flag
I think they resolved the President's son issue in epi 3. He said he wasn't initially scheduled to be on the trip, it was a last minute decision.
Flag
I've been wondering about that. The President's son said he wasn't even supposed to be on the trip. The President's schedule changed last minute so he was able to go.
But the secret service that was in on it was only there because he was supposed to protect the son.
Flag
"Let's be honest the entire show is so contrived that it needs the viewer to turn off his or her brain totally just to get through an episode. " - TRUE :D

Flag
I think Gibson went low-budget on the Spec Ops guys. They are the Black Water Rejects if you ask me. They managed to get killed by a FBI Field Agent and Low-Level Secret Service guy... That is just a poor showing.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I watched the first two episodes and four minutes of the third episode when I realized I couldn't pay attention, this show is extremely boring and like you said ridiculous... I only gave it a shot because of Gillian Anderson but it's not worth it.
Flag
Only watched the pilot to give it a shot. It was terrible. Poorly executed with a boring and ridiculous storyline.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members