Criss Angel Mindfreak

Wednesday 10:00 PM on A&E Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

Criss Angel Mindfreak Fan Reviews (112)

• Cria angel is just another David Blain want to be.

1.9
    All of Cris angels shows are so fake that my little 8 year old sister can watch him do his trick and say how he does them. It is just anoying that he tries to be David blain but he is so bad at it. It is almost like he is just showing us how to do his tricks. Like when he lit himself on fire that wasn't even him on fire. It was his stunt double. If you watch the tape and stop it right when he jumps down to get the fire off of him you can see his face and it is not him. I can go threw every single episode of this show and tell you how they did it.
  • Magic is fake and always has been.

1.6
    90% of what he does it fake. Magic is not real and never was. His tricks are so unbelievably fake. Even the ones in the streets when he talks to "random" people are planned. Only an idiot can belive this crap. The unbelievableness doesn't make it interesting. Low grade.................to the max
  • Magic is fake, its all illusion

Since everything of magic is fake I don't like the show, the only reason I gave it anything was because the guy knows what hes doing. He looks like a fruit also. Also he over-acts the whole levatation thing with his wavy arms and his head up in the air. Magic was cool like 15 years ago, now well... the cats out of the bag. There's no big secret anymore. I wonder how he does it but if you look it up on youTube you can find out how to do all of his tricks. The only one I really dont get is how he levitated across a street 2 stories up?
  • i'm still not convinced

even though how many times i try to watch "mind freak".., i still don't get the hang of it.., that is because all the tricks he performs aren't that satisfying.., i mean.., hello how would he do such a thing..?? magic..? DUH..!! Ive never heard of true magic.., surely there are just some well made camera tricks... so that's why i don't get why people watch this show.., cause for me it's just a big waste of time and electricity for that matter.., cause for me only God can make miracles or magics... there's no such thing as a magician.. that's all..
  • he's a freak allright

this guy creeps me out. i really do not see why this show is that popular. personally i do not find it all that interesting. i hear that is scoring good ratings for the network. at least enough to get renewed. if i happen across it i might watch five or ten minutes and then change the channel.
  • I BELIEVE HE SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL!!

6.4
    i just want to know how much did he sell his soul for to the DEVIL. i\'d be damned to allow someone else to have such control over me. It would be a cold day in hell before i allowed him to bend me at will. you should really go to church and ask GOD to forgive you and get a refund on your soul from the DEVIL.
  • Illusions at there best!

When i first began watching the first season of this show i was honestly blown away and told atleast 10 people about Criss Angel, he continued to impress everyone who saw his stuff. Season 1 finish and i was pleased and was hoping for a second season. Now when the second season came out every episode i watched showed wat a fruad this guy is and made me lose more and more interest in his stuff until i got to a stage where i stopped watching his stuff and i don't think i'll ever watch his stuff again other than season 1.
  • I disagree with all of you

The first show was great, I'll give it that.
    But I just wanna see the magic and stunts not all the setting up and hes faking how har it is, Ya know.
    Since then each show has less tricks and stunts.
    Last week there was only 1 stunt.
    maybe the coming wees will be better.
  • No, No, No Don't worry kids... IT'S FAKE

This is show is really awesome, but obviously fake. No one can literally float in mid-air. It is physiclly impossible. I saw him explain on Youtube anyway. This guy sure does make it look real though. It is amazing how people actually believe this. One lesson and only one lesson people: Magic is not real. You can believe all you want, but this is the real world. Come back to the real world when you realize that this show is fake. I like the show though, count on that. But how people think it's real is just really really stupid...
    -Nachosxd15
  • Less stunts and more magic and I'll watch it once again.

7.8
    Criss Angel's Mindfreak was a daily fix of mine when it first aired. I like his style, I love his tricks and for the life of me I absolutely cannot figure out how he does any of the things that he does. He's stumped me more than once. However, I would like to see more magic tricks then stunts. As interesting as it is to see him escape from certain death, magic has always been more fascinating for me. I mean, I don't know how he escapes from his stunts but I also can't figure out how he managed to make a glowing lightbulb float around a room. I'd like to see more magic, less stunts.
  • Criss Angel does magic to amuse the masses

Criss's magic isn't the greatest, but he's got personality. That's what makes his show special. He is the only goth magician I can think of. His show is good, although now it is repetitive. Criss has been doing the same thing over and over. This show does not deserve 4 seasons. As amusing as it is to watch magic, I don't want to see 10 episodes soley on levitation. Overall, I'm impressed with his ability's(though he is far from the best). If you get a chance to watch Mindfreak, I would recomend seeing 1 or 2 episodes. If you watch too much, things will start looking the same.
  • What the ABC David Blaine specials should have been.

A&E took the first David Blaine special (the one where he actually does "magic") and turned it into a great new series. If Blaine had stuck with the magic, there'd be no place for Angel... but Blaine's quest for endurance challenges opened the door for Criss Angel, and I for one am glad he did. Where Blaine was dull, Criss Angel is exciting and in your face.

Of course, how many new magic tricks can one person think of, create and perform in front of a live audience. I doubt there's enough to continue the series for more than one season. I fear Criss will fall into the same area that Blaine did. In fact, I've already heard that one of the episodes features him being hung by hooks piercing his back and helicoptered away. Can you say "pain endurance"?

My thoughts - Enjoy the "magic" while it lasts!
  • this is one of the best shows on television.i cant believe i have never heard of it. this is horrible because i love the show so much and the guy who also does the show is off the wall. he is an awesome illusionist and i think that he is awesome.

Criss angel is one of the people whom i had no idea that he existed. when i was watching larry king with my dad and he was on, i thought of him as only a singer, i had no idea that he was such an awesome illusionist. his show is awesome and i cant believe that i never heard of it or that i have never watched it before. another thing that sucks is that i cant watch it because it is after nine o clock and my father wont let me watch television once it is after 9:00. i wish she will stop thinking that criss is demented. o well, i think he is an awesome magician and he is hot especially with his new haircut.
  • criss is the best!!!!! MINDFREAK!!!

criss i think is the best magician i can ever think of. i mean he is the abolutly amazing! he can sing, he can act, he can do magic, escape, and. . . . he absolutly hot!!!! hes multi- talented .i mean come on! here is a list of every thing he is.
    1. magician
    7. illusionist
    8. vocalist
    9. HOT!!!!!
    and so much more!!!
    mindfreak is the ultamite show. ive been a fan since the begining when criss start season 1! so i know what im talking about when i say he is true magic. because he is.
  • Mindfreak blows all other magicians out of the water.

Criss Angel's magic touches you far more then any other magician that ever lived. What Angel has done with his new reality show, MindFreak, is exemplify his talents and allow them to be viewed throughout the world. Angel does things that other magicians and stunt devils could never think of in thier wildest dreams. When Criss does magic he not only takes the illusion to the next level, he creates another level that the audiance aren't even expecting. When saw the first episode, the one where Angel becomes a human inferno, I could tell that he blew away the minds of his inpromtu street audiance with his display voodoo. Criss' magic is well ahead of its time,far greater than that of David Blain's and the raw feelings that each show portreys deseverves an emmy within itself. There can be no words placed on how amazingly talented this man is and the maximum score of ten that this site allows doesn't even come close to measuring the greatness of this show. Criss Angel Mindfreak is without a doubt my new favorite show and out of a score of 10, I give it a 20.
  • Criss Angel is a talented illusionist. Just a little too overdramatic and, dare I say, narcissistic for my tastes.

Though I don't particularly like Criss Angel or his show, I do like watching it from time to time. It's fun to spot places in his tricks (the aid of TiVo is useful) where it's clear he "made the switch." This is possible with surprising frequency.

For example, here's a quick example (with photos) I threw together:

Another one (I don't have video saved unfortunately) involves teleporting actual people down a hallway. A guy and a girl stand in the hallway, and Criss keeps repeating "get ready, it's about to happen, it's going to happen, get ready, it's going to happen...NOW!" As he says the last few words, he steps in front of the camera, and when he moves, it appears that the two people are a long way down the hall, looking around, bewildered. Unfortunately he didn't train his actors well enough, and as he's about to step in front of the camera, you can see both actors tense up, and the girl actually starts to step toward the side of the hall, where there's a convenient widening she can hide behind. The pair down the hall are either twins or just very similar-looking.

Regardless, he does perform his tricks very well, and there are some I can't figure out, no matter how many times I replay it. Kudos to him.

Even so, his bizarre "come into my mind" segments, frequent close-ups of him staring at the camera trying to look bad-ass, and just a general case of taking one's self too seriously really detract from it for me. I'd rather watch David Blaine any day, even though his tricks aren't perfect either. At least he can crack a smile and joke around.
  • As much as I enjoy watching magic and illusions, this show is not put together particularly well.

6.4
    It's always at least somewhat enjoyable watching magicians and illusionist do their tricks. Some are very good at wowing me, leaving me with very few if any clues as to how their illusions are done. Others are not so successful and leave plenty of clues for those who pay attention and aren't completely won over from the beginning. Criss falls into that latter category. I'm still not sure whether Criss is just not very successful at planning and executing his illusions, or if he's managed to hire a crew of cameramen, editors and other assistants who fail to effectively put this show together. Maybe it's both.

One trick has Criss turn over a glass of orange juice and out comes not juice but a bird. As Criss sets the glass on the table in front of him, you can see quite clearly that the glass is divided vertically down the center with the juice on one side and a void for the bird on the other.

In another trick, Criss "levitates" a manhole cover just by putting his hand on top of it. In the beginning you can see and hear that it's real as he pries it off the manhole and drags it across the ground a bit. But then the camera cuts away, which is obviously suspicious, and returns to what looks to be the same manhole cover that Criss then proceeds to levitate. When he's done the camera again follows Criss several feet away from the scene, but in the background you can hear a real manhole cover being dropped. One can only assume that it was replacing the fake one used for the trick. And sure enough, when Criss and camera return to the manhole cover it is in a slightly different position from where he dropped it after the levitation.

In still another illusion, Criss made his car disappear while he was driving it. Of course the car didn't really disappear, but it shouldn't have been so obvious that he simply drove it behind a wall in the middle of the road. There was something like a highway cone in the road, one every 8 feet or so down the middle of the road with ribbon tied from the top of one to the next and so on. And in places where that's all that was really there you could see the ribbon moving in the wind, but when that ribbon crossed the wall it was attached to the wall and so didn't move at all, making the wall stand out like a sore thumb. The whole scene had a very simple, bland background which made it that much easier to try to hide the wall. Well, that was the plan at least.

It seems as though each time I tune in to an episode of Mindfreak, I am consistently disappointed to see these kinds of revealing failures. However, even failure has the redeeming value of providing a learning opportunity, and one of the draws of magic and illusion is trying to figure out how it's done. One reason I enjoy watching Penn & Teller do tricks is that they will follow it by showing you exactly how they did it. Criss Angel Mindfreak just happens to do that inadvertently and with more subtlety.
  • Cool!

7.2
    I'm no expert on the subject of "magic," but I believe the term "smoke and mirrors" goes back to the 1800's and perhaps a lot farther.

If you watch, say, David Copperfield, whether live or on television special (I've seen him in both), there still is a lot of "smoke," undoubtedly mirrors as well - and the state-of-the-art in the manufacture and use of these today would be far advanced from earlier times. You know the huge spinning saw blade isn't going to cut through him, but it looks like it does. We know this is an "illusion," and the practitioners in this area of show business use this term themselves, including Mr. Angel.

There's some video on-line, purportedly produced by Criss himself, indicating the levitation technique. And while one program showed him levitating high above the ground, from one Las Vegas building to another, he still takes the elevator and stairs to his suite, steps onto and off of his RV, etc.

Whatever, I enjoy his programs - the prolonged séance scene wasn't that entertaining, and (for me) some of his more extravagant bits (e.g. from the boat) are my less-favorite.

I enjoy most some of his bits with cards, jewelry, other personal items, and some of the bits levitating others - especially when done on a crowded street, restaurant, etc. How did he not only toss a deck of cards from the sidewalk, with his subject's card then appearing stuck to the adjacent plate glass restaurant window ?? Hell, I don't know, but that's the whole idea and I enjoyed it.

Some suggest the use of confederates from the "bystanders", and some camera trickery. This thought has crossed my mid sometimes, and some people's reactions and patter, and some occasional camera shots suggest this. But many observers youngsters, ordinary street folk, and others who just don't seem, for a variety of reasons, that they could be acting. A lot of it is simply great sleight-of-hand. And we know misdirection is usually involved, expertly, at some point(s).

I've spent a lot of prolonged time in Spain on business, and have seen a man there who does Close-Up magic, standing by a table with patrons seated there. Colleagues of mine have seen him live, and been participants, and none can deduce how he does what he does.

Angel's interlocking a couple's wedding rings at a dinner table in a Vegas restaurant, having an older lady's ring reappear within an ice cube, and before a large crowd in a mall, throw a deck of cards scattered on the floor, and then having the "selected card" rise from the pile, were all entertaining bits.

His sleight-of-hand is superb, and his demeanor is entertaining.

Does he possess truly "magical powers?" I doubt it. But, who cares? It's an entertaining half-hour, and watching 2/3/4 of his episodes back-to-back is entertaining, and doesn't seem "over-long," if you have the time.

Finally, where physical prowess is needed, this man's superb conditioning is admirable and fascinating to see, too.

Just enjoy his talent and quirky, likable persona. A good program.
  • This is an article on what i think of Criss Angel MINDFREAK

When this show first started out i thought this show was great. All of his magic tricks fooled me and impressed his audiences with mind blowing stunts. As the new season started, the show seemed to get less realistic and just plain ridiculous. Also the little magic tricks he does in between the large events, have gotten ridiculous. By watching the show i can figure out almost all of the tricks performed and they don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t bewilder me anymore. He is a really good magician and has a really good slight of hand but needs to improve and perform more realistic tricks to hold my interest. I would love to see him live though because that would be interesting.
  • not to be missed

criss angel: mind freak is a great show. i started watching it when it was shown on e4 in the uk on sunday nights. i immediatley enjoyed the show and continued to watch it regulary. i am i fan of magic shows, such as derren brown and david blaine, and this show is of the same hight standard. reccommended.
  • Ha, it's fake, but it sure as hell looks real.

-NachoSwordsman
  • Great Show! The only thing that makes me wonder is that Criss can never remeber the people's name he picks from the audience. What kind of mind freak can't remember something that was told to him a few seconds ago-yet he can see the future?

Great Show! Very entertaining! The only thing that makes me wonder is that Criss can never remeber the people's name he picks from the audience. What kind of mind freak can't remember something that was told to him a few seconds ago - yet he can see the future? Maybe Criss needs to learn some tricks on how to remember names! Especially in the entertainment industry! Here is one trick:
    "Repeat after me: repetition, repetition, repetition. When you are first introduced to someone, use their names several times when you talk to them. "Hi, Jim, nice to meet you. So, what do you do for a living Jim? Do you have any kids, Jim? Jim, it was great to meet you!" If you don't catch their name when it was originally told to you, ask for it again. Saying it immediately will help you remember it when they walk away."(learnthat.com) - OK, repeting once or twice would do!
  • A captivating look at real-time magic.

Every time I go see a magic act, I try to figure out how they do it. And each time, I miss the hints. They're doing one thing with one hand, and the eye always goes to the other--which is what they wanted. Before you can switch back, the trick is done.

Criss Angel offers magic on an even grander scale. Somehow you know it's all done by human hands; still, he's smooth and tongue-in-cheek at the same time. His tricks are scary and exhilarating. He puts himself in real danger, but somehow manages to come through safe and sound. Magic hasn't been this exciting in years.

For this show, the magic isn't just to point up how great the host is, it's really and truly to entertain the audience. It's a thrill ride you shouldn't miss.
  • Have to watch!!

This show is OK. I love it. It just what I need when I get home from a bad day at work. It’s entertaining full of laughs and makes me want to never move again. It really captures the free spirit of media and keeps you wanting and guessing for more. It’s the kind of show that you don’t need to constantly watch in order to get the whole spectrum of what’s going on, I really like that, that way you can do multiple things at once. If you feel like it that is. This is defiantly one of my favorite shows.
  • Holy crap this show is amazing.

Some of the stuff he does makes you wonder if he sold his soul to the devil. That is probably why I watch it religiously. For instance he walks into a jewelerly store and asks to see a diamond ring. He then sets the ring on the glass and pushes the ring straight through the glass. I think I rewound my Tivo about five times.
  • NUTJOB!!!

The dude is a total nutjod. nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod nutjod NUTJOB!!
  • I know that the guy performs illusions. I know they're not real. But I still am fascinated every time this show comes on. Absolutely riveting!

Criss Angel is a throwback to the circus geeks of old, yet still manages to also be a thoroughly modern illusionist in this David Copperfield/David Blaine age. I'm not sure why exactly I started watching this show, but once I did, I got hooked in very short order.

His show features everything from large scale, jaw-droppingly dangerous physical stunts to close-up magic. The gags are usually unique and inventive, although Angel has a fondness for updating classic tricks popularized by his heroes, such as Houdini.

He also has perfected a show that is pure crack in video form. Once you start watching, it is impossible to tear your eyes away...
  • amazing show

this show is an amazing show even though its fake. he does tricks ive never seen anybody do b4 and really amazing ones ive seen so far are, he made an elephant disappear in PUBLIC ON A STREET re enactin the famous magicians trick except on a much larger scale. Criss Angel is on a quest to bring magic into our lives through extreme entertainment that he calls "mindfreak". He believes today's magicians are for the most part archaic and out of touch with society. He plans to change that with amazing feats, including being set ablaze for 46 seconds with very little protection and levitating people right on the street to death-defying escapes and even more slight-of-hand acts.
  • Some say he is the next Houdini, ahead of his time? Well it so far I would say no.

A interesting show to say the least. Perhaps my favorite thing about him is the opening and ending sequences of the show. I dont know if he doest the directing and costumes or set design but it is very gothic and artistic. I also like his style of clothes and hair. Well now that I got off of my chest time to review the show. For one thing because of all the drama, and drama I mean his assistants constantly saying he shouldnt do the acts, I would say that this maybe a fake show. I havent actually seen him do anything live, only on this show but so far nothign has leaked out saying he is a fake. The episodes are pretty cool, but you always hear about how he shouldnt attempt anything because it is dangerous.
  • Join Criss Angel as he performs amazing stunts and street magic acts that get you thinking.

Man do I love this show. Every Saturday night I watch this and Scare Tactics. See Criss Angel do these unusual stunts and street magic acts really gets you thinking 'How does he do that?'. It began in 2005 and so far there has been 62 episodes (I hope there is many, many, many more). In one episode Criss attempts to 'walk on water' and does so succesfully. Criss is a total genius his shows are fantastic. I would love one day to be part of an act. Overall Criss Angel Mindfreak is a fantastic, great show that defys scientific logic. Two thumbs up.
< 1 2 3 4