Crossing Jordan

Night of the Living Dead

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 25, 2007 on NBC

• This show is running out of steam

5.5
    One of my favorite shows is running out of steam. CSI did the 'dead man who we find out really isn't dead during the autopsy' storyline several seasons ago, did it better and they didn't drag it out for a whole episode either. I have never cared for this particular plot device... Create a character that has never been seen or even mentioned once before, rewrite history so that he has a lot of history with every major character, then get rid of him so that we never have to point out why we'll never see this super-important character again. It's so blatantly a plot device. And it's so blatantly a plot device of a show that is running out of fresh ideas. I noticed they went to great lengths to avoid the autopsy, that normally would have be over and done with by the first commercial break. They knew the minute they started cutting, he would be revealed to be alive. It looked so obvious for a show that finishes the autopsy quickly, so it rang incredibly false for this show.

Two other quibbles. Nine years ago, Macy and Renee may have known each other professionally, but they sure as hell weren't friendly enough to be sharing drinks in his office. That didn't happen until season two of the show. Maybe CJs new writers should, oh I don't know, watch a few episodes of the show they are writing so they'll know what the hell is going on.

Also the Ron Silver dummy was so incredibly fake looking. The FX department usually does so much better. Are they new too?