Crossing Jordan

Sleeping Beauty

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2007 on NBC

• An episode that didn't quite live up to it's hype, but still a good ep. More reviews at: www.crossingjordanencyclopedia.com

Okay, my thoughts finally. I liked this episode, but I didn’t love it. Truth be told I thought last weeks was the better episode. I felt this episode had two problems with it.

First—it was anticlimactic. There was so much build up to this point (Jordan’s surgery) –to the point where you expected the entire episode to focus on Jordan, and then we ended up with only a portion of the episode focused on Jordan. I actually didn’t have a problem with the format of the episode. I think the build up to this episode was misleading and hence I didn’t get what I expected which is why I say it was anticlimactic.

If the preview for Sleeping Beauty had been about the case, with just a small mention of Jordan I think my reaction to the entire episode would have been completely different. It (probably) would have been a much more successful episode. If you give a person more than they expected chances are they’ll walk away happy. Hype up something and then you don’t live up to it and ‘anticlimactic’ is what you get—and you leave us with this uneasy feeling of disappointment.

Second—Woody’s case. I actually really liked the case, and that was my problem with it. The case was too good, too strong to be a B-plot line. This case should have been the focus of its own episode. I felt we had two A-plots competing against themselves in this episode. And unfortunately Jordan's story won out (for my attention) but it (in my opinion) happened to be the weaker of the two. A lose-lose situation.

What interested me most about this episode was how the four men in Jordan’s life each reacted to her surgery. I loved the way everyone's story line really revolved around how they were handling Jordan's surgery. MJ and I were talking about this throughout the episode and a little afterward. And I saw one post on the CR that mentioned this too (sorry I don’t remember who’s post it was…I was tired Wednesday night, and I never got a chance to read through all the responses either).

--> When I look at this episode on a whole what really pops out at me—we could call it the theme of this episode—is ‘How each individual deals with tragedy.’ Everyone deals differently and that was really well portrayed.

Garret: Garret takes the bull by the horns (if I may use such a cliché). He faces the problem head on. If he could physically do the surgery my bet is he would. He wants to be active—needs to be active in helping Jordan. Garret feels completely helpless (they all do, but it’s most evident in Garret and Nigel’s actions) and what makes it worst is the only thing he can do is sit and wait.

Bug: You know Bug cares, but he doesn’t wear his emotions on his sleeve. He’s quiet/pensive dealing internally with Jordan’s situation. He doesn’t display his emotions and he has a hard time dealing with Nigel who is a complete wreck. There’s no doubt that Bug is worried, but he’s able to remain calm (or at least give the outward appearance that he’s calm).

Nigel: Nigel is a doer. He wants—needs to do something for Jordan. Being active, keeping positive help him keep the panic at bay. However once he’s done everything he can think of doing he can’t hold back the panic. The initial bad news about Jordan and returning to find the fish dead push him over the edge where he then lashes out (deservingly so) at Woody.

Woody: Avoidance. He does everything he can to not think about Jordan. The irony of it is he’s reminded about Jordan constantly (Renee, Tracey, Jordan’s office and the flower, Nigel…). If he doesn’t see how sick Jordan is, then he doesn’t have to accept that she’s really sick and could die. I don’t think Woody could handle Jordan dying. He can barely handle her being sick. Going to the hospital opens those flood gates that he’s trying so desperately to keep close.

I also wonder how much guilt comes into play. I’m sure he still vividly remembers his own stay in the hospital and the visit he had from Jordan. While, Jordan probably wouldn’t tell Woody to get lost, you do wonder if she’d shrink away from anything more than a ‘caring friend’.

I can’t say I was mad about how Woody acted. Last week when he let Jordan walk away it showed just how shaky the ground they stand on is. If Woody had shown up before Jordan’s surgery I think at best we would have gotten an awkward hug that neither would know how to deal with. I’m more interested to see where he goes from here. He did show up at the hospital. The real test comes in what he does during her recovery.

Kate—I’ve said it countless times and I’m saying it again. I love the addition of Kate. It was so funny when she smiled at Nigel early in the episode. I had this urge to go up and demand why she was smiling. Our Kate doesn’t smile (usually). What I loved about the smile—it was another sign that Kate is starting (in very small baby steps) to find her place within the morgue dynamic. I think she will always be contrary and difficult (but hey, can’t we say that about Jordan—yet we still love her) but she’s starting to find her place, fit into the rhythm of the morgue.

Things that made me smile:
    - Renee guest staring.
    - “Have a wonderful Brian Surgery” card.
    - The ending shot—all four of Jordan’s men there for her.

There were many moments I liked in this episode, but it fell short of my expectations.
  • The time has come for Jordan to have the surgery.

Well this was a slow but very nail bitting episode. I thought it was good but slow. got boring at times. Jordan finally went though with the surgery and ha some scary moments in it. But you will have to watch this episode to find out what happens. I thought it was great how they scared everyone with the things that happen in the episode. I thought this episode couldve had more action like. Jordan also isn't waking up and everyone sits and waits to see what happens. Lets wait till the next episode to see if the surgery worked.
  • Jordan has her brain surgery while the others anxiously wait for the results. Woody gets involved in a case about the murder of witness who was set to testify against a powerful and dangerous member of the community.

Overall, this was a good episode. Although Jordan is facing a serious illness she seems to be more like her season one self than she has been in a long time. Her reaction to her surgery and the well wishes from her colleagues was heartfelt and believable. Macy is back to the fatherly role he took a break from last season. I had missed this side of him and was touched to see him try and explain the outcome of Jordan’s surgery to the woman he met at the hospital. Nigel and Bug’s reactions to Jordan’s surgery were in character but unexpected at the same time. It was nice to see the two of them bicker in their usual way about getting Jordan a pet but Nigel’s anger about Woody not coming to the hospital surprised me. That said, it was classic of Woody to throw himself into his work rather than worrying about Jordan and hanging out at the hospital with the others. It seemed like something Jordan herself would have done, even though we’ve seen her wait it out at the hospital before. It was nice to see Susan Gibney back in her commanding role as Renee. I realize that more episodes with her would mean more of a legal aspect to the show, but I can’t help but miss her when she’s gone. After this episode I am more convinced that she should take Kathryn Hahn’s position as a series regular.
  • jordan is having brain surgery and all the morgue crew are very nervous for her. woody tries to burry himself in work to stop worring about jordan but nigel doesnt see it that way.

wow... in the end i was like jordan say something please... i felt so bad for nigel and his fish... he worked so hard and he only had one in the end. woody was trying not to worry by keeping himself busy... and of course garett was like a father figure to her... i was kina hopin that jordans dad would come back in this episode but he didnt.. i still loved it and cant wait to see next weeks episode. I am pretty sure jodan will recover and every thing will turn out okay with her recovery... and i hope this brings her and woody closer together.