Crusoe Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

Crusoe as good as cancelled

Brunete20

[1]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 63

If you thought Crusoe had the kiss of death by being aired on Friday nights, it gets worse. Crusoe will now air on Saturday nights at 8:00/7:00c starting December 6. The ratings are dismal and unlikely to improve on it's new day and time.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

haldrey

[2]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 22
    I know that Saturdays is the graveyard of TV shows but maybe (a big maybe) it can survive there. Against Stargate Atlantis it did not had a fighting chance.

kyfm

[3]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 5
    stargate atlantis on saturday nights youre referring to the syndication airings right. thats when its on in my area i always though crusoe is better fit for syndication does anyone agree hopefully they will show all 13 eps

Brunete20

[4]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 63
    They've already cancelled Lipstick Jungle, which is taking Crusoe's time slot, so why not put that on Saturday nights.
    Edited on 11/25/2008 7:13am
    Edited 2 total times.

therockstop

[5]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 14
    I am just now catching up on Tivo. I liked the pilot but the second episode was not good in my opinion. I will watch all episodes that air and hope it makes it but it does not sound good.

cjhtwo

[6]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 6
    I find it a thoroughly enjoyable show! I didn't have a problem with it being against Stargate: Atlantis. For one, Atlantis was replayed later at night, and for another, that's what VCR's are for!

mdstudio

[7]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 5

I would like to see it go on!!

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/crusoe-a-petition-to-save-the-nbc-tv-show-from-cancellation/

haldrey

[8]Dec 4, 2008
    cjhtwo wrote:
    I find it a thoroughly enjoyable show! I didn't have a problem with it being against Stargate: Atlantis. For one, Atlantis was replayed later at night, and for another, that's what VCR's are for!

That is what I usually did, watch Stargate and tape Crusoe but I do not think that tapping count for ratings, or does it?

nxylas

[9]Dec 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    If it really is just a 13-episode mini series, I hope they will at least air the episodes that have been made. Isn't it a co-production with the BBC or something? In which case, the cost to NBC is probably less than that for a completely original program.

Synetech

[10]Dec 6, 2008
    cjhtwo wrote:

Yes, thank you! Sometimes it seems that nobody does this anymore.

haldrey wrote:
    cjhtwo wrote:

That is what I usually did, watch Stargate and tape Crusoe but I do not think that tapping count for ratings, or does it?

No because you can just skip the commercials and that's all that counts for ratings: watching ads.

askfloyd

[11]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 3
    Unless you are a neilson family then it doesn't matter if you tape it or not. What YOU watch doesn't matter at all. That is what is stupid about the whole system.

Writerpatrick

[12]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 13
    Crusoe is the best new show this season that nobody's watching.The impression I'm getting is that NBC picked the show up with the intention of running all 13 episodes, and if the show becomes a hit to expand it further. So based upon the ratings this show isn't going to go beyond the 13 episodes, however NBC does appear to be airing all 13 episodes. In the past this show would have been cancelled by now.This has been an unusual year for TV shows. Almost nothing has been cancelled, at least far fewer shows than tend to be cancelled in the past. But it's almost been planned before hand how to handle a show that isn't good in the ratings. Saturday is currently considered a dead zone, and Fridays haven't been very good either, so I suspect while NBC may have intended to show all 13 episodes they never had any intention to air anything beyond that. And since NBC doesn't show enough interest in Saturday to program new shows in those slots, it appearently seems to feel that it's just as well off airing the rest of Caruso on Saturdays than not airing it.It may be that networks realize that even if the show does poorly it may still sell well on DVD, so even if ratings are bad it's still worth keeping the show on the air because people are less inclined to by a DVD of a cancelled show.

haldrey

[13]Feb 1, 2009
    Was 'The Return' the last episode? It was not billed as season end nor as season finale.

Neogamer8

[14]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 12
    Yes, that was the last episode that was produced for now. It was all they had planned on doing. There is a possiblity that it will get picked up for more episodes later.

MightyMaus

[15]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 15

NBC announced a Complete Series dvd set. I think it is fair to say that it is cancelled now...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Crusoe-The-Complete-Series/11269

Dougo13

[16]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    As a person who has done viewing logs before, I can tell you that the log books are based on regular on air viewing. You aren't supposed to "time shift" as no one will watch the commercials. That's partly what pays for the show and why we have these ratings in the first place. I suspect though that a lot of people DO put in what they time shift as regular viewings so that should skew the ratings somewhat. It just goes to show how tired and old these ratings companies have become and how they cannot embrace the new technologies at all...span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

JasmineHR

[17]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 35

Well, Like MightyMaus, I also saw a DVD listing over on Netflix. It's saying it'll be released May 2009 and it's titled as "Crusoe: The Complete Series."

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is/gets cancelled. I was excited for the show when I first saw trailers. The settings looked beautiful, they made it all look exciting. I've watched every episode and wanted to really like it but after most episodes having the same feel to them (random groups showing up threatening their peace on the island and/or all ships just can't seem to take Crusoe and Friday with them for one reason or another) made it start feeling like I was watching "Gilligan's Island" without the comedy. They waited far too long to start getting more interesting throwing in things from back home with the wife and kids and the corrupt benefactor. It almost seemed as if, at first, they'd planned to keep it all in Crusoe's point of view to give us all the feeling of being there with him but saw the limits to that and that people were losing interest fast and the creators took too long to change their tactics. The few people that gave it a chance had already given up on the show and forgotten it.

But really, it's hard to make a TV show about a man who's stuck on an island for 28 years with just one other person and random visitors and keep it interesting. That would be a huge challenge even for the best of writers.

4frntskier

[18]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 1
    I also really liked this show and I am really disappointed with it being cancelled. For me the only hope is that maybe they will do what they did with scrubs. Last Year was supposed to be the series finally on NBC. However it is now airing new episodes on abc. So basically I hope another network may see the potential for this show and pick it up. Also I believe a big part of it's ratings being so bad is that no one had heard of it. I don't think I saw one commercial for it through out the whole time it was running. Also every one I talked too had no idea what Crusoe was. They had never heard of it. Personally I think better advertisement for this show may have helped.

skippercollecto

[19]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 15

I was surprised that "Crusoe" showed up on network television at all. If it had been 1958, this would have been a big hit for NBC (minus the political correctness, of course!), even on a Saturday night! But it doesn't belong on network television now.

I really wish that it had shown up first on Ion or Hallmark or American Life. The fit is much better for those cable channels, and would have been able to get a full first season and go into a second season.

rayality

[20]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 9
    i was actually surprised a show like this would air on network television but I'm sad to see it go. It was enjoyable to watch.