Crusoe

NBC (ended 2009)

Crusoe Fan Reviews (16)

• It is great family show and needs to be put back in your program line-up.

My 9 yr old granddaughter, my husband and myself really liked the show. There are not to many programs that you can sit down and watch with your family. We looked forward to see the program each and every week. It is a family show and my family was upset when the program was not shown. Please return this program to you line-up because this household misses it. My granddaughter and I went on the web site to see how he built his tree house because she decided she wanted one just like it. There is only the Disney channel to watch now on Sat night because you removed the program we looked forward too.
  • Finally NBC has a show worth watching

Crusoe is one of the best shows I have seen on NBC for a long time. It is imaginative and well thought out. I was expecting a modern day Gilligans Island but was happy to see that this was not the case. I hope NBC sees the potential that it has created and brings it back. If not I hope they at least make a made for TV Movie to bring him and Friday home. It would be a shame for it to end without the "happily ever after" ending. Bringing hi, and his family together is a definite for the fans.
  • Come on, finish the show!!!

Seriously LOVED this series!! Could the network not consider finishing it with another season? If they gave it a decent time slot the show would NOT disappoint! I am still waiting for Crusoe to get off the island and reunite with his family. Also, can't get this on Netflix, wth?
    There is so much story line to work with. What happened to the sick boat crew? Did the bad uncle make it back to England? Did Crusoe and Friday rebuild the tree house? Any new gadgets? Are Suzanna and the children finally safe? Will Crusoe AND Friday make it to England? Will Crusoe get his birthright even if he didn't want it, did Suzanna step in on behalf of the kids since she clearly knew in episode 13?
    Most of all, can you please finish what you started!!!! We've been waiting 2 years now!!
  • Great show for all ages - lets hope for a second season!

"Crusoe" is an extremely wonderful show that displays the capturing back-story of Robinson Crusoe. Another wonderful twist to this adventure is the many visits (wanted or unwanted) that Crusoe and Friday receive. The relationship between Friday and Crusoe is always entertaining and shows a different perspective on how being removed from civilization could change the way people relate. The different backgrounds of the two men creates an interesting contrast within their friendship. Clever carpentry also plays a huge role in this series as it is all Crusoe and Friday can depend on for day-to-day life and keeping off enemies. A second season is definitely in demand.
  • Crusoe and Friday, just like Defoe wrote them, except not :) and on NBC that's a good thing!

TV needs a show like this on at all times, trust me. This is a pretty looking show and although the writing could be a tad stronger, the two main actors do a top notch job, and surprisingly comprise one of the best duo partnerships on television this season (truly). So good are both lead actors (Crusoe and Friday) that no matter the show's fate, we must see more of them in the years to come. I think it's good for television that this show is on and NBC is doing well enough that they can support it until the fan base grows.
  • Crusoe its a great show & we need to keep it on! this is my 1st time doing this so i hope i did this correct, thanks

thanks for a show that has great fun, action, lots of imagination. since we started watching my 10 1/2yr old has wanted to do more things outside,wanting to make things. we already have so many bad things on that just want go away, so why not try to support a show that is bringing some creativity to families & like most say you can always change the channel. an for some of us their not bad to look at either! so for the ones that like it lets try to keep it on. happy new years & be safe!!everyone
  • A very bad series

I find "Crusoe" to be a very strange series. First of all, I just can't determine what sort of genre is supposed to fit it. The show premiere featured tons of comic scenes and witty jokes and I for one genuinely thought that "Crusoe" is meant to be a comedy. A pretty good one, to say the truth. The pilot episode was great, very funny and highly enjoyable. I laughed at how Crusoe and Friday disposed of all those pirates, what a spoof-of-a-real-Robinson-Crusoe-house they had, the hilarious dialogues that were said. I thought it was a parody of Defoe's legendary Robinson Crusoe. But then came the second episode, then the third and I realized the creators are trying to sell this as drama! And humor mixed with drama has to be very subtle or else it becomes a deadly and atrocious compound… In this case, the latter applies. So there you go, I'll review these series as serious ones.

To begin with, this TV show is extremely different from its source material – a novel. Crusoe should be a deprivation worn, beard sporting passionate Roman Catholic, not a sporty lookin', ever fighting model. Friday – a humble, scarcely English speaking native, who is forever grateful to Crusoe for rescuing him and the one that would never put his own matters before Crusoe's. But right here, he is an English linguist with the power of Rambo and bow felicity that'd make Robin Hood envious. Actually, in the book, the very first word Crusoe taught Friday was "master" to call him. Only later during the years did they bond and Crusoe considered the man a close friend, but in this show, the whole timeline is tangled all over, you can get the feeling ships occasionally pass by the island every week, while, in Defoe's creation, Crusoe saw the first Europeans on the island only after a few decades of isolation, if I remember correctly.
    Secondly, almost all the stories depicted in the show are extremely unrealistic, stupid and corny to say the least. It has all the bad movie clichés – villains shooting and always missing, unlimited ammo for heroes, women fighting as strong as men, heroes getting beaten for a little bit, but quickly recovering without any signs of injuries, heroes hiding in the jungle and seeing everything while their enemies – nothing and so on and so on… Moreover, the story is very repetitive, every time it's either Crusoe saving Friday or vice versa. Can't they think of something more ingenious? Every episode has tons of ridiculous nuances. The whole plot of the second episode was some sort of a computer game imitation and Indiana Jones spoof. I mean, how can there be opening tombs and traps in an uninhabited island? What about Friday having prophetic dreams? What, is this mystery show now? The whole story with mutineers was unprecedentedly dumb as well. Hell, the scene where Crusoe, a castaway stranded on the island for 8 years (according to this script) sees a harbored ship and is just casually looking at it is outrageously bad – a real Robinson would run screaming down the beach just to be rescued. And In the very end when the ship was leaving, couldn't have Crusoe been more insistent on taking him along? Couldn't he have overthrown the old captain with his great agility and strength and become the new leader. The crew didn't seem to mind any changes in the authority that had previously happened. And that girl only had to say "You won't have a surgeon on a ship if those two aren't travelling with us" instead of "I won't be here if you don't let them leave". This is super plain stupid! As is the fact no one could recognize that she was actually a girl. In the very first scene I saw the character, I knew it was either a transvestite actor or a woman playing Oliver.
    The props would look beautiful if not for their stupidity. Real Crusoe wouldn't have so many clothes left; in fact, he'd be wearing hay pants or something, since the clothes would have disintegrated in 8-year-time being used in harsh environment. He certainly wouldn't have built such a science-fiction-worthy house even if he had the materials to build it. House the size of a mansion? A windmill or something resembling it in the background? A wooden lift? Really? Are you kiddin'?

I think people who enjoy these series haven't read the original "Robinson Crusoe" book, because they would be insulted by this sacriledge as much as I am.

There is not a single good thing I could say about this show, it's childish and horrible. Alongside literally abysmal "Heroes", this makes NBC the worst television in America.
  • A lovely show...

The first show that I can actually watch with my kids and rest assured that it will be done tastefully even if there are some scenes that he could get a little bit frightened. The scenery is absolutely beautiful and the cast is charming as well as funny. That flashbacks are not overdone and it is an easy storyline to follow. This is truly one of my favorite show on tv this year and I feel sad to see that it might not stick around for much to long. At least it encouraged my son to start reading his classics and it opened a new genre to his tv habits. Cartoons are not the only things that exists for him anymore thanks to this show !
  • This a wonderfully original show that many people, young and old, will enjoy.

This is a wonderful show that I think is great. I have not had many Tv shows that I watched because they just don't seem very appealing. I like the adventure aspect of this show. The island is just beautiful and full of lush green forest. It does have some humor to it which is a nice touch. Friday is a great sidekick to Crusoe also. If you have been wanting to watch a TV show with great adventure, action, and comedy, then this is a great show for you. It's also set a couple of hundred years ago so that gives it a nice background. The flashbacks that fill in some of the story are also very nice. There have only been 4 episodes so far but I am already shaking waiting for the next one.
  • Great scenery, handsome leading man!! Great sidekick. Action adventure. Family friendly. Couldn't ask for more.

We really enjoy this show. The characters are fun and witty at times. The banter between Crusoe and Friday is very enjoyable. The scenery is beautiful. The action scenes are great, my son really loves the sword fights and all of the gadgets that Crusoe "made" from stuff on the island and the shipwreck. Its hard to find anything on tv that the whole family can watch together anymore. The kids watch their shows on Disney or Nick and my husband and I watch our shows. There are very few that we can watch together as a family. It's refreshing to be able to sit with our young children on a Friday night and watch Crusoe together.
  • Another show to add to the dustbin of bad television

2.5
    What do you get when you add a classic story to the inputs of television network suits? A lousy unbelievably bad series. A combination 'Lost' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean' wannabe that could have been something special if the writers just stuck to the book. Even with skipping through the commercials, the 2 hour pilot was a drudgery to sit through as I hoped against hope that at some point the plot would get more coherent, the acting would improve, and the show would stop being like a Hollywood beach party in drag. I was ready for a series that was set with some historical accuracy. Instead, we get a deserted island story of isolation and survival morphed into the the Grand Central Station of some fantasy past historical era. I want these 2 hours back.
  • The show is absolutely lame. Watching a 1 hr-long footage of the island/jungle/ocean shore would have been a more entertaining experience.

The two main characters are OK - the actors are completely unfamiliar to me, but you can tell they are a few levels above the rest of the crew (except for the director of photography).
    The whole "take a classic, now-in-the-public-domain book and turn it into a movie" idea obviously has some appeal and in this particular case - quite a good potential. Unfortunately, all the talent went into selling the show to the investors and was suddenly depleted after the pilot episode.
    The show is obviously in need of good writers, but that's probably the easiest problems to solve. The big problem here is the supporting cast and the director. They suck. Some of the scenes look more lame than a school play.
  • Bright + Colorful = Refreshing.

I was very impressed. I enjoyed how bright everything was and that it looked like they actually shot this with HD cameras instead of just converting like so many shows still do. I also greatly enjoyed how it was both over-the-top at times and yet serious as well. It really did seem like less of a tv show and more of a movie, or at least an HBO-quality mini series. The acting was great, the writing was on target, and the flashbacks were actually really well done. I was also very impressed with the costumes and special effects. They were probably a bit more colorful than realistic, but I like this. The first episode wrapped up very well, and now the second episode looks almost like an entirely different show(In a good way). Again, I was very very impressed.
  • Wow I did not realize how sleep deprived I was until I watched this show.

I made it to the half an hour mark but it was all down hill from there. The parts I saw were moderately interesting but not enough to keep this insomniac awake. Basically what I saw was a guy with too much time on his hands (and a lot of wood). The flash backs were completely useless because they didn't give me anything to look forward to (England looks just as boring as deserted island). I didn't get that whole Friday thing, I hope that wasn't their way of reaching out to the African population because it didn't work, I still slept. I don't think I'll be stopping by again, unless I want to be in bed by nine on a Friday, I think I'll read the book instead.
  • Good but with problems

Another remake of the Great novel (Robinson Crusoe) written by (Daniel Defoe) in 1719. The main actors (Philip Winchester) as (Robinson Crusoe) and (Tongai Arnold Chirisa) as (Friday) both played their roles perfectly, but the roles of all the other guest stars are Dull (sorry this is how i saw them). Lots of flashbacks even more than those we see in Lost. The stuff made by Crusoe on the island are fun and creative but only one thing buged me the most, if Crusoe can make all those wonderful things around the island by himself how come he didn't make a single boat and leave the island i'm sure it won't be harder than what he already made....

Still i'm gonna stick with the show a bit longer to see where it goes
  • The Story focuses on a man named Robinson Crusoe, who along with his companion, Friday, is trapped on a deserted Island for 28 years.

This show is great! It has many gadgets made by Crusoe himself, which are amazing to the eye. It also has many unintentionally funny moments. The show is also lead by a wonderful Cast. Crusoe has a lot pf potential. Friday has to be my favorite character, although their's not many to choose from. I'll have to keep watching. I hope their will be more insight into Friday's past, flashbacks. If you you haven't seen the show you should check it out, because if you ask me Crusoe is a great show that is destined to become a TV classic.