CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

A Thousand Days on Earth

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Apr 10, 2008 on CBS

• An emotional, well written episode

It's always hard, as a viewer, to watch episodes of any crime drama where the victim is a child. However CSI always does a really good job dealing delicately with emotional subjects and this episode is no exception.

This was a well written, emotional episode which portrayed not only the poignant effect the death of a child has on a community but also the effect of 'Megan's law'. On the other hand, the concept wasn't completely original and has been handled a number of times already by the show.

I liked the ending to the episode, which was foreboding of a possible storyline to come. My criticism of Catherine in these episodes; is that she becomes self-righteous and accusatory she when faced with a child victim. It is completely relevant that she would react in the way she does as she is the mother of a young daughter. However I feel the writers play on this too much; so whereas in earlier episodes you may empathise with Catherine, in later episodes it begins to annoy you. However, as I mentioned above, the reaction is relevant to Catherine as a character and fits with her personality – but it has perhaps been overused in these types of storylines.

Despite this minor criticism, A Thousand Days on Earth is a well written and well handled episode of CSI – one that shows that the show hasn't faltered in its ability to tell good stories.