CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Blood Moon

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 07, 2010 on CBS

7.4
  • The last CSI I ever watch.

4.5
    I have been an avid fan of CSI since the beginning, curling up in front of the TV every week knowing that I would get an hour of entertainment. For six, maybe seven, seasons the show managed to keep up the highest quality - peaking somewhere around season four. The last few seasons have been bearable, even though the loss of the character Grissom made for a massive obstacle. What used to be top quality fell into acceptable quality.
    With the first three episodes of season 11 behind us, however, this is no longer the case. The first episode was, even months before its airing, clouded by the massive teenage menace known as Justin Bieber. The show has had guest spots by musicians before, but this blatand pandering to the younger market served only to alienate us long-time fans.
    The second episode looked to be more promising, until the appearance of a shark as a part of the murder scene. From that point on, the plot was overshadowed by a torrent of puns on sharks, water, fish and fins. It was not funny. It was a tip of the hat to CSI:Miami which, even as a devoted franchise fan, I cannot stand - resulting even further alienation (I would say here that the show has 'jumped the shark', but fear falling into the swamp of puns myself).
    Not wanting to give up so easily, I stomached this third episode of the eleventh season. The episode started with a familiar set-up; a CSI's personal life (this time, Catherine) intermingled with shots of an ongoing murder. But not many minutes passed before I realised that this was going to be even worse than before, because this time there were vampires and werewolves. The pandering to the younger market continues - and was enough to finally drive me away.
    For a show I have liked for so long, it is really quite impressive how forcefully I was alienated as a viewer. I will stick to my box-sets of early seasons, and revel in the glory of Grissom.
    Thank you, CSI, and good bye.