CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

CSI Down

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2011 on CBS

• CSI Down is an exciting, fast-paced episode with excellent character development although it is let down by the fact that at times it feels rushed and suspends belief.

From the get-go, you can tell this is going to be an unconventional CSI episode. The episode appears to zoom by with a huge amount packed in in just forty-five minutes. However at times it feels a little too rushed, and the not-as-attentive casual viewer may be lost within the first fifteen minutes.

What I liked most about the episode was the great insight into Morgan, Ecklie and Greg's personality. I got a little put off by Morgan in Maid Man with her slightly aggressive stance but I definitely warmed back to her in this episode where she appeared more natural and human-like. Elisabeth did a fine job throughout the episode. I loved how Ecklie showed a more humane side to him, as someone who has been portrayed as the 'baddie' in the past, it was great to show a kinder side to him. Greg's outburst was interesting, again, it was nice to see a different side to his character and I wonder whether his anger was brought about by his guilt of letting Morgan go in the helicopter or his own supposed personal feelings towards her?

It's just a shame that the rest of the cast were shoved into the background as a result, I understand everyone can't be incorporated to that scale in every storyline, but when you have Jorja and Marg who are already on limited screentime it seems like a bit of a waste to use them for only 3 minutes.

What I didn't like about the episode was that the whole situation seemed a little non-realistic, with events happening conveniently to advance the plot. For instance, Frank apparently 'Frankensteining,' the two of them only surviving the crash etc. The CGI copter was awful as well, absolutely horrific which kind of bumped my rating down. It made the show seem somewhat amateur.

Overall, probably my least favourite episode of Season 12 so far, but by no means terrible. I think it would have worked better as an extended episode but it was still better than the majority of episodes in the past four or five seasons as well.

CLOO