CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Fannysmackin'

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 12, 2006 on CBS

• A gang terrorise Vegas and Greg is attacked by them.

This is one of the best all time CSI episodes when its not just one killer its a whole gang of them beating people up and killing them.It proves to be no longer safe to go outside in Vegas when Greg runs into the gang beating someone up but in trying to save him he runs over one of the thugs and the rest pull him out the car and brutally beat him up and they would have killed him if it wasn't for the police showing up.Greg very badly wounded saved the man's life.The CSI's knew it was a dangerous case but in they end they did well to catch all the gang and shockingly the youngest member was 14.
  • A gang of thugs are out on the streets of Vegas robbing and brutally beating tourists at random. By chance Greg Sanders witnesses one such assault and rushes to help. In the process he becomes the gang's next victim.

Definitely one of the best episodes of CSI ever. You will see both how good and how evil humanity can get in this great episode and that will make emotions run wild for the viewer. Seeing how Grissom and his team put together the pieces to bring the gang to justice is another reason to enjoy it. The only negative thing about this episode is Kevin Federline's absolutely abysmal performance. It can be safely said that he has no talent as a rapper or an actor. Go home Kevin!

• This is just another great episode from CBS.

The classification says it all, this is why I watch this series.

Greg is a fantastic character and all throughout the series his character is just getting stronger and stronger. Who would of thought in this series that an actor who starts out as a lab rat could end up in the field, and risking his life for the job he has been showing so much commitment to.

This episode also highlights the fact that even though you see Sara flirting with Grissom, she still cares enough for him in her heart to run onto the crime scene in a frenzied search.

All the relationships within the lab are shown whenever one of the team gets hurt but the friendship that are shared among everyone are especially emotive in the episode, the guys don't like it when one of theirs gets hurt.

Can't wait to see what comes next.
  • The CSI team investigate the case of large gangs going around and beating up tourists, killing one and severly injuring others, including Greg, when he heroically tries to save a beating he witnesses.

7.9
    I thought this episode of CSI was one of the best of the 7th series so far. Gangs of mostly teenagers who were "fannysmakin", ambushing tourists in alleys and beating them.
    One man is dead and one woman is in a very critical condition. The story becomes very interesting when Greg is sent out to process some of the evidence on his own. He comes across the gang beating up a man. Greg is unarmed and backup is taking too long. He must make a decision, watch and let a man die, or act.

You could see the conflict in Greg's mind and it was definitely the best moment of the episode. Greg decides to drive at them to try and break up the gang, there is one attacker left. The attacker picks up a stone and is charging at Greg, who instinctively presses the accelerator and runs the attacker over. Greg is then very badly beaten and left in a critical condition in hospital.
    The episode was interesting, exciting and enthralling. The plot was realistic and quite relevant. We got to know more about Greg and his history and I think the character will really grow after his attack.

I thought the only weak part of the episode was the scene between Sarah Sidle and Greg when Sarah came and saw Greg on the ground after his attack. When he tells her to process the scene she tears up and tells him she came for him. I thought the scene didn't really fit and raised questions about Sarah's feelings for Greg when there were no indicators previously that she had any romantic feelings for him. I also thought the acting wasn't good in this particular scene.
  • The unpunished gratuitous violence and the emerging storyline involving Greg's legal troubles are too unpleasant to watch and shift the emphasis from the show's unique focus on solving crimes through the use of scientific logic and modern technology.

Gratuitous violence that essentially goes unpunished is unacceptable. The new storyline involving Greg and his legal troubles is discomforting. I love the series, but this episode and resulting storyline are too unpleasant to watch. Additionally, my fascination with this show has always been with the trajectory of the plot lines, specifically how they ricochet unexpectedly along the path from crime to solution. The personal lives and relationships of the main characters are most satisfactory when they are only hinted at (e.g., with a glance, raised eyebrow, or multilayered line of dialog). Shifting the balance from crime scene investigations to the trials and tribulations of the characters submerges the uniqueness of the series and makes this just another 60 minute television drama.
  • A masked gang terrorize Vegas! Poor Greg!!

This episode was very different to the usual murder cases investigated by the CSI team and i loved it.
    The fact that the writers actually gave Greg the lead role in the episode was brilliant in itself (I feel he is very underused).
    When Greg himself became the victim I was horrified, a real nerve-wracking moment for a Greg fan. Overall the case was brilliant and the gang themselves were rather scary, it was great to see Greg take centre stage and i really hope there are more episodes that allow Greg to take the lead. Well done to CSI for this episode possibly my favourite of the season.
  • Greggo gets hurt and I just wanna hug him! Then K-Fed gets hit by Nicky and it makes thing a little better.

Well, this episode starts out like many of the others. Guy\'s getting off work, telling the wife he\'ll be home soon. Then he get fannysmacked and dies. Same with that tourist lady. When Greggo comes into the scene, he\'s dressed all snazzy in his suit and on top of the world. And it gets better when he gets to go on a solo robbery case. But, it all goes down hill when he witnesses that group fannysmackin\' another tourist. I can totally see his reasoning for going in asfter reporting it to save that guy\'s life. When he hits Demetrius James with his Tahoe, I feel really bad for Greg. Then he\'s literally pulled out of his vehicled and beaten. At least he had the concious thought to get DNA off one of the guys who hurt him.

Hands off Sara!! When Sara was doing tests with the shoe prints found on the victims\' clothing, Grissom comes in and they clearly eat each other with their eyes. then, when Sara goes to the crime scene Greg\'s at, she get all touchy feely! This isn\'t Sandle this is suppose to be GSR (not that I support either pairing).

GO NICKY!!!!

When Nicky hit K-Fed I was doing a happy dance in my seat. I\'m glad Nicky wasn\'t going to get charged for hitting that wannabe. The hospital scene al most had me crying. The way Greg didn\'t want his parents finding out about him was really sad. I wonder if Papa Olaf will make some sort of appearance this season.

The second hospital scene had me really feeling sorry for Greg. He\'s going to be so riddled with guilt it ain\'t gonna be funny. At least he has friends there to help him through it. Especially Nicky.

Grissom\'s talk about the way Las Vegas works and how it\'s all about \"what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas\" really makes perfect sense. Where I come from, we don\'t do that (not yet, sadly). Another comment I\'d like to say is that they really did a fan-fricking-tastic with the camera shots and how they had the camera imitating one of the assailant’s fists.
  • Poor Greg...

As close to a very special episode as CSI will get. It has all the major elements. One character in danger, the friends do their best to help him out, and at the end we have several speeches from all the Characters.

It's as "Saved by the Bell" as CSI has ever gone. Not saying I didn't like the episode. Greg being a hero was really cool, he went from wearing a suit to being a victim of a beat-down. The scence wear the Tennessee man shook his hand and called him a hero was really cool. Then Greg watches the guy he ran over flatline was freaky too. Heck K-Fed didn't even suck in this episode.
  • Greg gets badly beaten up by a gang of juvenile delinquents...

A group of juvenile delinquents finds a hobby in beating and kicking tourists coming to Las Vegas. The first victim is a Hispanic hotel employer who is beaten to death. The second victim, Jessica, is also beaten but is still alive. The delinquents continue their Fannysmackin' and this time their victim is an aged man. Greg was on his way back to the lab when he witnesses the brutal attack on the third victim. In an attempt to disperse the gang, Greg put on his siren and honked in his SUV. The mob ran away except for one, who picked up a rock and threw it at Greg’s car. The other members came back and pulled Greg out of his car before beating him and spitting on him. When she heard what happened to Greg, Sara rushes to his side to comfort him and later on, Grissom visits Greg in the hospital.
  • Excellent Greg episode.

I'm loving this season so far and I really enjoyed this episode. It was good to see Greg in the middle of things, I like the way his character has developed throughout the show. It was so cute how excited he got to be "going solo".

The episode was well written and as I've come to expect from the cast the acting was top notch (although I'm not too sure why all the hype about K-Fed!!!!)

I love, love, loved the scene between Greg and Sara. It not only highlighted the fact that the two characters are close but also showed yet again how the team is like a family.

Jorja and Eric always play well together in scenes - actually all of the cast do which is probably part of the reason the show is so good.
  • Way to go, Greg!

I really like the way Greg has grown into a CSI. This episode, to me, highlights the vast amount of growing Greg has done from season one. He started out as that weird kid who was severely lacking maturity. However, over the past few seasons he's matured, and out of everyone, he seems to be the most honest with himself. This is an episode that really highlights that growth. It is highly refreshing to see Greg making an adult decision, then facing the resulting consequences. He is also now mature enough to evaluate those consequences, and compare what they could have been with different decisions. It was a very personally revealing episode, not of history, but of character.
  • K-Fed in it, and with no surprise he can't act.

Poor Greg. He was completely stoked after completing his first trial, looking all sharp in his suit and then he gets the beatdown of his life. I know a lot of people wanted to see more stories revolve around Greg, but I'm pretty sure this isn't what we all had in mind.

Man, the beating him and all the others got looked brutal. I can't imagine the feeling. What the heck would I do if even one person came up to me and started punching or kicking me, let alone the massive amount that got thrown down in this episode? how even when lying on the ground, bones broken and covered in blood, Greg is still able to tell Sara about the scratch and the spit. That's a dedicated man right there.

These kids just randomly beat the crap out of people for fun and show no remorse when confronted. What a world. It was really cool for the man whose life Greg saved to come and thank him but then also, do you get the feeling this isn't over yet? When the kid Greg hit with his car died, the look on what I assumed was his brother's face was one of those wait-and-see-what-happens-to-you-next type of stares. Finally, as much as I wanted to rag on K-Fed, I really can't. He was harmless. I mean, obviously "Pig" wasn't a harmless character, but with only a handful of lines and two real scenes, Mr. Spears didn't provide a jump-the-shark moment as I (and probably most of you) expected.
  • OMG!! Greggo! WHY? Great episode, kepp 'em comin'

Oh MY God, being a greg fan made me almost cry.Poor thing, all he was trying to do was help an inocent guy, and for doing a good deed, he gets beaten up for it. Thank god he didn't die! i would have freakeD! it was a great episode that kept me watching from the mintue it started. l l l l l l ll ll l l l ll l l ll l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l lll l l ll l l l l l l l l
  • When one CSI is in trouble, the others never miss a beat to help them out.

This episode was heart-wrenching and infuriating. The way it provoked a response from the audience was incredible.

As a Greg Sanders fan, it was just phenominal to see some real character developement going on here. The scene with Sara after the attack was absolutely adorable. "I came here for you, Greg." What a line (thank you Jorja Fox for the delivery). Of course, people rooting for more Sara/Greg interaction certainly got an award-winning scene with that. And the way Greg opens up to Grissom in the hospital was just fantastically done.

I particularly enjoyed the way the beating was filmed, half of it in slow motion, half of it not. The camera coming down on Greg... The whole set up was creepy, with the costumes and breaking the window and pulling him out of the car.

And Nick punching that guy, wow! I was so glad, I wanted to punch him myself.

As for the actual storyline, it just was a real teeth-grinder to hear the way those kids talked about beating up tourists like it wasn't any big deal. Wow. Talk about some heavy stuff!

Amazing character developement, enthralling story-line, great character interaction. You really see how the team comes together as a family in this, which is something we haven't really seen since Season Five's Grave Danger. Wonderful stuff!
  • Wow!!! What an episode!!!

This episode was great!!! Poor Greg!!! He actually sorta save someone live, even though he nearly got himself killed in the process of saving someone life!!! Really good episode!!!

Poor Greg having to see the other person dying, but he should feel proud about saving the other guy especially when he came to thank Greg for saving his life, that was so nice. I love the scene with Sara and Greg!!! That was so good!!! We also got to find out about Greg and his mom was really interesting.

Hope CSI could do more episode like that!!!! Love it. At the moment my brother say that this season is much better then the last and that this season so far have out shine CSI NY. So yeah well done to the producer.
  • They think it was funny?? Tsss

Those people were so pathetic.
    ( I am screaming now ) They think it was funny??? Come on!!!
    I think they do not laugh anymore if they are almost beat to dead.. Tsss.

They hit my Greg =( The only thing I could say was omg omg omg omg. Thank God he is not dead :)
    It was good what he did but also not good. I was thinking in myself: Give me one good reason why I should blow your brains out..
    Well they've got no brains.

O yeah and one thing:
    Kevin Federline.. he was pathetic in CSI
    And in real life is Keving Federline pathetic to.
  • Happy to see other people liked it--great episode for greg

i think this episode got some criticism before it even started becasue of k fed. I, myself was wondering why they would do that-- the producers know that no body likes him, right?? so why would they cast him-- i watched the episode and found out why--they make him lokk like a fool, and let Nick just absolutely destroy him

this was also a great episode for greg-- he did his first sesion in court, ready to celebrate, and an hour later he is getting beaten to death. He risked his life to save that man, and as a result has became my favorite character on the show. that was the hardest to watch 2 minutes of televiision when he was getting beaten to death. then sarah came, and you root for him to get her, despite the fact shes going with Grissom. You then learn that his mom held him back from doing things, and, well. GREAT character development for him, and as a result, great episode
  • Season 7 of CSI has proven once more why it is the best of the franchise - an episode that shocked and moved me when I thought I was beyond that.

I've been watching shows like CSI for a few years now, and I watch all 3 CSI shows. So I thought I was pretty immune to any of the storylines they could show. Tonight I watched Fannysmackin' - an episode where a group of young people beat people up for fun. No remorse and no regret - amorality in a frightening, frightening way. What is worse? Being attacked? Or being attacked for no reason? Or being attacked for fun? This disturbed me.

On top of that, my favourite CSI, Greg Saunders intervened to try and save someone, and as a result was badly beaten and ended up taking the life of one of the attackers. It was horrific, and every one of the CSIs reacted in their own way - Sarah's first meeting with Greg as he lay on the ground was moving, Nick's angry reaction was understandable but it was Grissom's expression just before he spoke to Greg in hosptial that choked me up. I carefully avoid spoilers, I'm good at it now, so I don't know if any of these events will have consequences. But this was good CSI. Another reminder why CSI vanilla is the best.
  • tourists beware.

If you ever visit another state or country, beware of fannysmacking. Kids who are bored and would love to beat the holy crap out of you just for the thrill of it. K-Fed leads the way in such a great performance, and i'm being sarcastic. I loved it how Nick punched K-Fed in the gut, because the cops couldnt stop these bunch of kids from running wild all over Vegas. To see Greg risk his life to save the man's life was so inspiring, and i had a lot more respect for this guy. Especially what Grissom said before the show ended about kids not being disciplined. So true. A great episode. I do see some people felt disturbed about what they saw, and gave the show such a low rating. I disagree with the fact, that this does happen in real life, and it makes a show more real when they explore these areas that may be hard to watch for some people. This is reality. Life's tough, and its predator vs prey. Which one are you? Enough of a reality check. Back to showbiz.
  • A very good episode.

Of course K-Fed would be a bad guy, since in real life he is (sorta). I thought this episode was very different from anything that they had ever done before on CSI and was a really good episode. You begin to see just how close all of the CSI's are, and that they are all like family. What with Greg coming clean to Grissom about his childhood and Sara displaying so much emotion for Greg, it was very good. The plot was very original too, although the name of the episode made me cringe, it was very good and necessary for plot changes in the future. At the end of the episode you could tell that something was going to be up with Greg later, but it's what we expect from CSI.
  • A group of ruthless masked teenagers wreak havoc on the tourists of Las Vegas. Greg Sanders gets caught in the middle.

This was by far the best CSI episode I've ever seen. It had action, suspense, emotion, good characterization, twists, the casting was perfect, the writing as well. I don't know what else one could want from a TV show. Most movies out there don't have what this episode brings. Even Kevin Federline the most hated guy in the world did a good job. Hats off to the director. He should be doing movies. Maybe they wouldn't be so boring. If CSI stays on this kind of track Grey's Anatomy won't have a chance in the long run. CSI will remain the best show on the airwaves.
  • Riveting episode and one that has sealed my fate to be a longterm fan of this particular incarnation of CSI!

Fantastic to see Greg centrestage, he really is a wonderfully endearing and enagaging character (which is probably why this episode was so hard hitting). It kept me gripped throughout, that said it was very hard to watch - the beating was so intensely done you felt for poor Greg with every kick. It almost broke my heart when Sara came to him on the scene, that whole exchange was enough to cause a tear or two, let alone the scene with Gil in the hospital later ("My Mom's gonna freak" - bless!!!). It'll be interesting to see if it haunts him for a while to come.......
  • OMG! One of the BEST episode's EVER! And so much Greg! My poor Greg though, and watching the guy he hit with his car die? So sad.

Oh WOW, I had no idea what I was in for when this episode came on. I thought it was going to be to be a throwaway, especially due to K-Fed being in it. But the emotional depth of this episode. Not to mention all the stuff we learn about Greg! Wow, I always knew he was an only child, but I never suspected his mother was a smotherer.

PLUS, hurt Greg, who can resist a hurt Greg. Then we get Nick getting all pissed off cause something happened to Greg, actually HITTING K-Fed! It was FANTASTIC! I was totally loving it, cheering for my Nicky. We all know why he did it too. (he LUVS Greg!)

Everyone was looking very hot in the episode too. They finally have all the actors hair looking good. Last year Nick ran the bad-hair gamut, poor guy. It's great to see they got some decent stylists this year.
  • One of the strongest CSI episodes ever, and judging by the other reviews I\'m not the only one who thinks so. I have no doubt that this episode will become a series classic.

The opening sequences that show what Cole Tritt and his young thugs do in their spare time are both frightening and chilling, particularly the scene in which their hooded figures are marching down the street after the first two attacks.

I thought it was a nice touch (from a dramatic perspective) to portray Greg\'s day as perfect; his first day in court going well, him not wanting the day to end, and Grissom finally trusting him enough to give him his first solo crime scene...it becomes all the more distressing when Greg happens upon the attack on Stanley Tanner. There is also a wonderful moment of split second indecision (which you see on Greg\'s face) when he is told to wait for back-up but realises the victim doesn\'t have time before driving towards the scene. Also, the moment when the SUV\'s back window is smashed and Greg exhibits his first display of fear was very well handled; it\'s the moment he realises he\'s put himself in a very dangerous situation. The camera work during the beating was well filmed, but very disurbing and hard to watch. I felt nausous when one of them spit on Greg as a final degredation.

Although not a sandle fan, I will admit that the moment between Sarah and Greg was nicely handled. You can see the panic on Sara\'s face when she asks \'why isn\'t there a medic on Greg?\', and the fear that Greg doesn\'t need a medic because he\'s dead. The scene that followed between them was both touching and sweet. However, I thought the scene with Grissom was stronger emotionally. Eric Szmanda was outstanding in this episode and I\'m glad to see that the CSI writers have finally decided to utilise his talents instead of relegating him to the \'funny\' guy as they\'ve been doing since season 1 (don\'t get me wrong, I love \'funny\' Greg, it\'s just nice to see him get other storylines).

There was also a few (possible) hints at later plotlines in this episode; the brother of Demitrius James locking eyes with Greg suggests there may be trouble there, Greg\'s horrified expression at the death of Demitrius James hints at later guilt on his part but most interesting of all was Nick\'s continuous comments on how sick of Vegas he is. Possible character departure later in the series? There is an episode later in the series entitled Leaving Las Vegas...

The moral discussion between the CSI\'s at the end was fascinating. Sara\'s comment on the kids being just as much at fault as society and the parents, and Grissom\'s point on the concept of a moral compass were particularly thought provoking.

My favourite CSI episode ever, and I can't recomend it enough.
  • Great Episode

This was a great episode. I truly liked it, it had everything.
    I was very surprised at first thinking that the "people" or "things" that were beating up the tourists were actually disfigured. That was kinda created seeing that i HATe k_fed with a passion
    Sorry that Greg got beat up, i was hurting for him really. Huge GSR fan but even i have to admit that the Sandle was kinda well touchy. But I liked the GSR I loved it when Nick punched K-fed, Thank you Nick!!
    Overall it was a great episode, i will keep tunning in to see great installments of episodes like this one.
  • Season 7 keeps rockin'

We are only at the fourth episode, but I think that this is one of CSI's best seasons so far.
    A great opening with a two part episode, than the one with corpses that tell their death stories and now a very cruel and violent episode, that shows a traumatic experience for Greg, one of my favourite characters.
    My congratulations to the authors because the fannysmackin' gang really behaves like a swarm as Grissom says while he talks to Hodges, and members comments and quotes seem those of the gangs that here in Italy we call "branchi": the don't have any respect for the authority, for races, they commit awful acts because they're annoyed, bored of an existence that's too easy...they really don't know how life is, and need education, I agree with Warrick.
    The dialogue right before the end of the episode is a great way to know what every csi member thinks of violent youth, I really liked Grissom's final quote.
  • NO! GREGGO, WHY?!?! :( :)

Loved the episode, and although I read the spoilers for the episode, I was still very sad at poor Greggo's beating. It just caused me to go "GREGGO!WHY?!" a few minutes earlier than I would have, otherwise. :D

Loved the GSR scenes in there, and even the Sandles moment. "I came here for you, Greg." Although my freakout probably wasn't as good as Sugah's (SQUEEEE!) I was still very surprised.

And the GSR! "Are you volunteering?" ....That's just a fic begging to be written. (And if I get enough time, I'll eventually write one myself. XD)

Poor Greggo....I want to go treat his injuries. ;)

-Dev
  • A number of tourists are being brutally attacked by a gang and its up to the CSI to figure out who before someone else gets hurt.

You could not help but feel sorry for Greg in this episode. To be out driving only to find another beating and then to try and run them over. I thought this was such a great episode and was quite exciting to watch. It was filled with twists and turns and hit home as we watched Gregtry and recover from his many injuries. One minor thing that I did not like about the episode was the overhyped apperance of Kevin Federline, or Mr. Britney Spears to most people. He really did not do much, had few lines, and was obviously only it for the publicity, because he is not exactly known for his "acting skills". Overall, it was a great episode and exactly why I watch this show
  • Leggo my Grego...

Poor Greg. He first time flying solo and he tries to do the right thing by helping an innocent man that is getting attacked by a group of street hoodlums that have been attacking people on the strip. He hits one of the boys in the process and the group turns on him and beats him severely. Watching Sara cry over seeing him hurt actually made me cry. I also felt sorry for Greg when he had to watch the kid he hit die. I think that he is going to internalize that way too much – he needs to realize that he did a good thing. K-Fed played an *ss – wasn’t exactly acting. What was Nick thinking when he hit him – he could get fired over that. And his comment about maybe living in the wrong city – does that mean he might be leaving the show??
  • An ode to Marilyn Manson's "Disposable Teens" for poor, poor Greg...

OMG!!! Where do I start! A gang of kids along with only one adult decide to try their hand at beating the hell out of tourists for kicks(for some reason this reminds me of the Manson murders)...and their excuse for the first one who died was..."oh..um..gee officer..no one's ever died before"..unbelievable. Then on his first solo case, Greg goes out to process a b&e and ends up interfering with the kids little game of kick a poor defenceless man to death and literally gets his fanny smacked(hehe...catch the pun). When Sara goes to his side is a nice sweet and touching moment between the two(there still might be hope for them yet). He's now hospitalized and his poor face is all swollen and bruised...I seriously feel like crying just thinking about him...especially when he talks to Grissom and starts to cry...I just wanted to hold and comfort him. Aww..poor Greg! Also, the part where the brother(I'm assuming) of the kid Greg basically killed glares at Greg and you know he's out for revenge. CSI better not kill Greg off!!! This episode offered so much and did a wicked superb job of following through. They're even keeping up with hinting at Grissom and Sara's budding romance(when she offers to kick his ass a little...ooh..kinky!) And when Nick's anger gets the best of him when he knocks out a bystander is pretty shocking...but since it's K-Fed..I'll let it slide. Also, Greg wore docs too!!!
< 1 2