CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Fannysmackin'

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 12, 2006 on CBS

• Season 7 of CSI has proven once more why it is the best of the franchise - an episode that shocked and moved me when I thought I was beyond that.

I've been watching shows like CSI for a few years now, and I watch all 3 CSI shows. So I thought I was pretty immune to any of the storylines they could show. Tonight I watched Fannysmackin' - an episode where a group of young people beat people up for fun. No remorse and no regret - amorality in a frightening, frightening way. What is worse? Being attacked? Or being attacked for no reason? Or being attacked for fun? This disturbed me.

On top of that, my favourite CSI, Greg Saunders intervened to try and save someone, and as a result was badly beaten and ended up taking the life of one of the attackers. It was horrific, and every one of the CSIs reacted in their own way - Sarah's first meeting with Greg as he lay on the ground was moving, Nick's angry reaction was understandable but it was Grissom's expression just before he spoke to Greg in hosptial that choked me up. I carefully avoid spoilers, I'm good at it now, so I don't know if any of these events will have consequences. But this was good CSI. Another reminder why CSI vanilla is the best.