CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Forums

Sunday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Newbie Info, Submission Guidelines and Whatever Else You Might Need To Know

Joker00303

[1]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 67

Hey, I'm Kasey. I'm the editor around here. I'm pretty open to any suggestions you might have, just PM me with your sugguestion. Also, if you have a problem with something or someone on the board, PM me. I'll handle it. If someone insults you, starts a topic that you know will 'cause or problem or causes a problem in an existing topic, please PM me and tell me. It's impossible for me to check every post in every topic. So, I do need some help around the forums. If you would like to add anything to this, just PM me and I'll add it if I think it's helpful.

Newbie Info...

-- Please, please, please..,do not start new topics just to ask one question. Any questions that you have ask them in the 'General Questions and Answers--Please Post All You Questions Here' topic. I don't care if a question gets asked 1,000 times, just ask it there.

-- Please use spell check, and double check your spelling in topic titles.

-- Please remember, Catherine is spelled with a 'C' not a 'K'. Sara does not have an 'H' at the end of it. And Sofia is not spelled with 'ph'. William Petersen is not spelled 'son', remember that.

-- Please do not bump any threads that have not been posted in for more than two months. There is a reason it's not being posted in anymore.

-- Please do not copy and paste large parts of the script into a discussion thread. It's hard to read through it or scroll through it. Bits and pieces is fine, not the whole thing, please.

-- Please check the first few pages of the forum before starting a new thread. There's a distinct possibility there is already a thread on whatever topic you were starting it for.

-- A lot of your questions about the actual site can be answered in other forums, like the Tech Support forum, or the Welcome New Users forum. Basically, I am sick of answering fifty million questions on how to add pictures to a post.

-- Under no circumstances is it ever acceptable to insult a specific person. Take Thumper's advice: "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." We're nice people, but sometimes we may get a little frustrated when we have to answer things over and over.

-- Please be careful about posting spoilers. Some people on this site don't read them. If you're not sure how to properly post spoilers, here's how ... you just post them in the thread that's pinned at the top of the page entitled 'Spoilers For Upcoming Episodes are Found Here.' Don't post spoilers in new topic titles, or in a topic that doesn't have a warning that you're posting a spoiler. But you shouldn't even be start new topics for spoilers since there's a pinned topic already for them.

-- Just wanted to add that you shouldn't go onto a shippers thread and say anything bad about that specific ships couple. They're there for people who support the couples, not for people who don't.

-- Hmm, to answer the non-serious question seriously, I'd say if the thread is more than a month old and maybe misspelled and 20 billion pages back, open a new one. If it's only a few pages back (like 3-4) and isn't done being talked about (such as someone just asked a question and no one ever answered it) I'd haul it back to the front page. If no one posts in it again, that's when it's time to let it die.

-- If you need music from a certain episode try tunefind. If that doesn't work, ask in either the episode discussion or the general questions and answers topic.

-- Please, please, please!! Don't start Shipper vs. Shipper threads (such as Sandles Vs. GSR, CathNick vs. YoBling, and, the big no-no, GSR vs. Grillows). They always end with individuals from both sides getting defensive and usually lead to personal attacks. And you'll never talk the other shippers to join your side. I know you think you can, but you won't. Just agree to have your own opinions and like what you like. Also, Shipper vs. shipper threads will undoubtedly be ignored by most of the regulars here and will soon fall by the wayside. So just don't start them and allow the peace to live on in the forums... Also the "I Hate *insert character or ship here*" threads are also annoying. Don't make them! I guarantee that every single character and ship has at least one supporter. Also, this site is all about the CSI love. If the topic you want to make has "hate" in the title, I'd rethink it.

-- If you cannot read, this is a CSI forum. So go ask questions about Smallville somewhere else. (Someone asked about it on here)

-- If you want to "join" a club - just post in the topic. You really don't need to ask "Can I join the WSGS club?" or "How do I join the GSR Club?" (for example). And really, we are a bunch of great people - maybe a little itimidating - but we always welcome those who love CSI as much as we do.

-- If someone asks a question where the answer may be considered a spoiler, don't assume that everyone wants to know the answer.

-- Why is Sofia referred to as Spork? No one really knows the origin of this nickname, but the GSR members (mad at Sofia for infringing on their turf) maintain that it is because she's useless and made of plastic. (The hate for that particular character has since died down as she's no longer a threat to their ship, but the name has stuck)

-- Who is Kepples? An unfortunate typing accident resulted in this nickname for Keppler, someone who also sustains a large audience of haters for virtually the same reason as Spork.

-- What is Dillybob? Some misguided member (I believe it was Dev ) coined this term to refer to the ship of D-Rob (Doc Robbins) and Gilly Boy (Grissom) after they had severl stolen moments of romance on the show. Note:Usually any moment where D-Rob and Gilly Boy are along in a room is considered a DillyBob moment... (Some of us are hardcore DillyBob shippers. Don't ruin it for us... )

-- Some abbrviations that you might see around the boards are...

* GSR- Grissom Sara Romance

* Grillow- Grissom and Catherine

* YoBling- Warrick and Catherine

* Catnip/Catnick- Catherine and Nick

* D-Rob- Doc Robbins

* Gilly boy- Spoof version of Grissom

* Sonick- Sofia and Nick

* Sandles- Sara & Greg

* Snickers- Sara & Nick

* Spork- Sofia

Edited on 10/15/2008 3:00pm
    Edited 5 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Joker00303

[2]Feb 16, 2007

Submission Guidelines...

Episode Allusions:

Allusions are an implied or indirect reference to something in a different episode, tv series, movie, play, poem, etc.

Example:
    Brass
    : First one of you low lives to name that tune, gets to make a deal.

Name That Tune is a game show that premiered in the early 1950s, with put two players against each other testing their knowledge of songs.

Episode Notes:

These and episode trivia are confused, so below are some examples.

Examples:
    Carol Mendelsohn was nominated for an Emmy for her writing in this episode.

William Petersen, who plays Gil Grissom, was not featured in this episode.

Episode Trivia:

This is where obscure trivia and goofs go.

Episode Quotes:

Quotes are specific dialogue between characters. Below are specific examples of how a quote looks:

Greg: Skeletal muscle of Mel Bennett. It goes in... contents come out. In 30 seconds.. bioassay. I like saying that word. Bioassay. Sounds nubian.

Anything you put in parenthesis must be in itailics. Ex: (to Grissom)

If you need help on how to do the itailics and bold, please PM me or look in the submission guidelines in the main forums.

Episode Recaps:

For this, you want to give as much detail as possible, although it shouldn't be a transcript of the episode.

A good example of a good recap is of the Season six finale "Way To Go."

Cast/Crew:

If there's a name missing, go ahead and submit it. I think this is pretty self-explanatory.

New Episode:

If you have a new episode to submit, be sure to provide proof of this episode. If you got the information from a website, include the web address in the submission comment section. If sufficient proof isn't provided in the submission, it will be rejected.

Forums:

As long as you go with the regular guidelines found in the Terms of Service and the Official FAQ, you should be just fine here.

One thing which I want everyone to follow in addition to those rules has to do with the "Official [Insert Episode Title Here] Discussion Topic" threads. While I don't have a problem with someone other than myself creating them, I'd rather they not be created until the day of the episode airs. I don't want people to be posting spoilers in such a thread until the episode has aired. I'm sure you can understand the reasoning for this.

I'm sure I missed several things, so if you have questions, don't hesitate to post here or send me a PM.

Edited on 04/17/2007 9:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Joker00303

[3]Feb 16, 2007
    I wanna thank everyone who helped on the newbie info...thank you very much for you help and input.

Devonwood

[4]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 10

I'm loving the fact that you included DillyBob, Gilly Boy, and D-Rob in your lists. Made my day, actually. And yes, it was my unfortunate brain that coined the phrase DillyBob.

Thanks for pinning this! It will help alot, I'm sure.

Edited on 02/16/2007 10:38pm

Maisy13

[5]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 17
    Nice job.

Juleshortstuff

[6]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 16
    Devonwood wrote:

I'm loving the fact that you included DillyBob, Gilly Boy, and D-Rob in your lists. Made my day, actually. And yes, it was my unfortunate brain that coined the phrase DillyBob.

Thanks for pinning this! It will help alot, I'm sure.

*I* wrote those summaries, thank you very much...

Soapy_Raindrops

[7]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 7
    Would it be possible to add to where it says about correct spelling of character names that Billy's surname is Petersen, not Peterson. It's a mistake I've made before and now I know the correct spelling i've noticed other people do it more and more.

Joker00303

[8]Feb 21, 2007
    Yes, but next time PM me and tell me and I'll just add it. I don't want this topic to be 10 pages long.