CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Fur and Loathing

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 30, 2003 on CBS

• A man is found shot dead in a blue raccoon costume, a woman is killed driving head-on into a big-rig, a frozen victim of a gunshot would is found, and the team is introduced to one variation of furry culture.

Though odd and laugh-out-loud funny, this episode may offend some furries and cosplayers. It's more respectful than any other TV show that has dealt with fandom situations in the past, but it still does make the participants out to be a bit on the sick side.
    Being very familiar with this sub-culture and some of the related cultures, I found this very entertaining, familiar, and disturbing. Since it didn't go too way out, or over the top, this ended up being one of my favorite episodes, with several approprate "cringe" moments. The writing to get from the opening of both the freezer and the furry segments to the final explanation was also quite well done (unlike many of the episodes in the 2007-2008 run, which suffered greatly from sloppy writing and horribly unreal fictional explanations).
    I also found nearly all the humor and in-jokes quite well placed, even though a few were quite the "groaners."