CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Grave Danger (1)

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 19, 2005 on CBS

• Tarantino does us proud. It's very much his style, but it's still a CSI episode and one that takes us to places we don't want to go.

Some SPOILERS might follow.

Nick is called out to a scene where body parts have been found. All seems very routine until he's kidnapped!

Everyone else is called out to find his abductor, but the guy has a very bizarre motive and has buried Nick in a glass coffin with an internet feed so that his friends can see his suffering.

Tarantino has described himself as a fan of the show and it's good that he keeps the tone of the show real, whilst putting his own very distinctive mark on it (witness the Dukes of Hazzard game, the very odd attorney representing the guy who picked up the package, the Trigger certificate - lots of stuff that might not have made it into CSI lore without QT.)

At the same time, it's a story that would enthrall audiences anyway - and the reactions of the different characters are well played out - especially when it becomes obvious that Nick has been taken simply because he's the one who responded to the call out. So it could have been any of them.

The ending to the episode is also unusual. Catherine does the unthinkable in many ways, by asking her (murderer) father for money, Grissom does the drop off, but the bomber has other things in mind. I think it would have been better if we'd just seen the building blow up and not known whether Grissom was okay at the end, as a cliffhanger, but knowing that the one link to Nick, that they don't even know yet, is gone, is pretty good.