CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Gum Drops

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 20, 2005 on CBS

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• The team tries to find a missing family

This was a very cleaver use of scenery and dialogue. The story was a true mystery and you aren't in the situation where you can guess the ending and solve the mystery half way through to show. It's good continuity to show that Nick is still affected by his ordeal in last season's finale.
  • Quite possibly in my top five CSI episodes

Wow.

The CSI writing and production team never ceases to amaze me with their writing and execution. Unlike other shows, CSI bats a thousand when experimenting with subtle, yet powerful new ideas. I am of course, referring to the young girl's voice-overs throughout the episode.

Being a very big fan of Gil Grissom, I was somewhat disappointed when it appeared he would not be starring in this episode. I must confess that I did not even miss him this week. We now see that the team can function perfectly without him, which I hope is not a subtle indicator that Grissom will be playing a less significant role in the future of the series.

The character development with Nick and Sara was interesting to watch. Only a few seasons ago, Sara was the one who got emotional on cases, and Nick was one of the guys who reminded her to "follow the evidence". Things now have taken a 360 ever since Nick's incident. This display on human fragility adds a huge dimension to the show's believability, since its characters encounter things on a daily basis that most of us could not imagine encountering once. It only makes sense that the very nature of their occupations takes its toll emotionally.

The outcome of the episode, was unfortunately somewhat transparent, predictable and has become cliché throughout the CSI series. Nevertheless, the flawless writing, direction and production values of this particular episode made the outcome somewhat immaterial.

If this season continues producing episodes of this caliber, I don't see CSI jumping the shark anytime this year. The only problem with producing an episode this good, is that the standards get raised, and will tend to make future episodes seem lackluster, regardless of how good they really are.
  • I really enjoyed this episode

It was kind of a tear jerker at the end when Nick was talking to Cassie. I really enjoyed it. I liked that the episode focused on Nick and how his instinct has changed since he was buried alive. He was really in tune with one the victims which was Cassie. It seemed like he wanted to talk to Sage again after what she told him when she stopped by the Mcbride house. My daughter was really into the storyline also, she forced her self to stay awake until it was over. There was just something about this episode that I can't really describe and put into words. Just that it was an excellent episode.
  • Nick gets the opportunity to fight internal monsters.

CSI developed a winning formula. The formula has been copied by a multitude of other shows. However, in an attempt to stay the front runner, they sometimes tweak their own formula. This episode is a fine example. Strangely, Grissom is nowhere to be found and the only willows we see are of the garden variety.
    This is the story of how a man who was resuced defies all the odds and goes out to resuce someone else. The story does not play out predictably. There are clues that both point to the girl being alive and dead. The brutality of the crime is on par with the other episodes, but the extent to which the victum gets to tell her story has never been done on the show before. This is one to remember.
  • A quiet episode on the music part of the show, which is always fun to listen to because of some of the unique types of music that they used, allowed the viewer of the episode to really get into this episode and feel for Nick.

A quiet episode on the music part of the show, which is always fun to listen to because of some of the unique types of music that they used, allowed the viewer of the episode to really get into this episode and feel for Nick as he takes the lead in this episode.
    Now this episode was to have Grissom to take the lead of the case and be the one who believed that the little girl was alive, but was changed at the last second because Petersen had to lead filming of the show because it was filmed when his nephew died.
    It would have been a totally different type of episode than the one that we saw. First, at all I couldn’t see Grissom throwing the kid up against the wall like Nick did, his character isn’t like that. He would of somehow trapped the kid in a puzzle of words that would made the kid break down without the use of physical contact. Secondly I don’t think that Grissom would even allow one of his team members to question him the way that Shara did with Nick. He would focused then on the case at hand and look at the evidence to see if there any proof that the girl is still alive. Third, Grissom wouldn’t gotten a little broken-up would telling her that the rest of her family was dead, he would just told her in a stoic way, but he also would of told her what happen to her family up front and not lighten the emotional load that she would have had to face. While this episode was rewritten at the last second that still didn’t mean that it was a bad episode, because it was a great episode that kept your eye glued on the TV for the entire hour and it also made the episode feel like it ran longer that it did. I also noticed that there was fewer commercials than normal.
    With Grissom out of the picture, Nick took the lead of this case and because of that he was the center attention in this episode and this episode allowed for more character development for him. We all know that Nick feels for the victims long before his experience in Grave Danger, it just now seem to be a little closer to the surface. I didn’t like Shara’s comment about him feeling this way because of what had happen to last year, because she knows just like the viewers know how Nick’s feels about people and that she should of kept that to herself.
    While the girl’s narration through out the episode was a different approach in telling the story it seems that they might of took a hint from the Law & Order:SVU episode “911” with also had a little girl disembodied voice in it, telling a story of what had happen to her, that aired earlier in the year. At first I thought that the girl was dead and that her narration was her ghost telling anybody that wanted to listen to her story. That the investigation that we were seeing was just to visualizes her story for the viewers, but in the end the girl was alive and that her narration was her talking to Nick to what had happen to her.
  • Thank you, thank you writers, this was an excellent show, kept me on the edge of my seat, this is what keeps viewers returning.

Thanks you giving other characters a chance to shine like the lead ones. We would like to see them develop their ranges too! Must say Worok is
    too hansome for words. Hope to see some Halloween shows, this is definitely a good product to have some fun with, thank you.
  • I was suprised by how well the episode turned out.

I was suprised by how well the episode turned out. I initially was disappointed when I found out that William Peterson would not be staring in the episode. I however really liked the episode although the ending was a bit disappointing. I liked the way the episode was shot it goes along with the new style that has shown up in all the episodes this season. The change in Sara's character nicely complimented the regression of Nick's. Sara stepped up to the plate and was in charge while Nick regressed to a state of emotion. I also liked watching Greg precess, he's learning but at a rate that's definatly believable; he still makes mistakes. The episode however lacked apperances by Catherine and as usual Warrick.
  • More character development for the "younger" CSIs

Loved that Grissom and Cat weren't as involved as much. Both are great characters and mentors but eventually the children got to grow up and not depend on G and C so much. Although I kind of missed more Warrick screen time but not everyone can be the center of attention.

Nick is great but sometimes I think he may get too emotional. Sara is there as a counterbalance but she can't be there forever especially with the way things are going for her and Grissom.

Nice ep but character development was stronger. Lil kid was cool for leaving the gum drops but how she survived being drugged with a cut throat -I don't know.
  • Awesome episode!

I love how this episode did a full loop - the narration we hear all through is what the little girl tells Nick at the end. It added a lot of mystery, until everything makes sense at the end. The story was very well written. This wasn't the 'usual' CSI crime, they didn't even have Grissom. I'm definitely looking forward to more episodes like this continuing in season 6!
  • By far the best episode of the season.

This has to be by far the best episode this season. Even though Grissom was no where to be found the team did an outstanding job. Nick was great. He refused to give up on the little girl even when every one else believed she was probably dead. So what if what happened to Nick was influencing him. I would hope until there was concrete proof CSI's/Detectives would continue to investigate a case as if the person was alive.
  • Definitely one of the best episodes. Nick takes the lead on a possible 4 victim homicide, and comes through brilliantly!

When Nick, Sara, Warrick, and Greg are called to work a possible 4 victim homicide, we see how the team is able to work without Gil. Gil always puts a special spin on the cases on which he works. Though this is something I look forward to each week, this episode was outstanding, even without Gil.

The character of Nick has definitely come through some changes since his near death experience. On this case, we see him get personally involved, as if Cassie, whose body is still missing, were his own family member. Sara feels he is over-reacting and making decisions based on emotions. In this case though, those emotional decisions turned out to be gut instinct, which helped Nick find the missing little girl Cassie. The final scene, between Nick and Cassie in the hospital, brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you to all involved in this episode! Great show!
  • Nick takes the lead on a very emotional case, and believes that the youngest daughter is still alive, even with doubts from the other members of the team. Especially Sara

This episode was AMAZING! Talk about a favourite. The little girl doing the talk over was kind of confusing and a little creepy at some points, but it all came together in the end. George Eads is an amazing actor. He did a great job in this episode ( like all others of course. It really showed how his character has changed over the past 6 months. The rest of the team is now seeing that he may not be the sam ol’ Nicky that he always was.
    Warrick’s new wife was mentioned in this episode. It seems as if the writers are trying to bring a personal touch to the show, which is great. But it seems as if there was a bit of foreshadowing when Greg mentioned Yoko Ono, could Warrick start fading out of the teams life?
    Lets hope the writers keep coming up with great shows like this one!
  • Exceedingly well-done episode.

Ah-mazing! Great cinemetography, different, but very well done. The voiceovers were an amazing touch. This is why this show is still #1 week after week. Acting is amazing, George Eads does an amazing job. Nick absolutely tears your heart out. His empathy is something we desperately needed to see. And the four CSIs' ability to carry the show without the head honchos in the picture was excellent.

Sara is noticing, Nick isn't the same Nicky that got buried alive six months ago. He can't be the same, he can't be normal. He has to work things out, and the team needs to help him through that. Great episode, a must-see classic.
  • The blood pools of three family members are found inside their home. Nick feels attached to the little girl, who he thinks is still alive.

I thought this is one of the saddest (a good thing), well-made, best, episodes ever made! I felt for Nick at the end when he sat down and talked with the little girl. It really makes you think twice about a character, especially when Nick cried for her. I thought it was such a moving episode. For the CSI's to get attached to their cases, truly shows what this show is all about! This and Grave Danger are the top two episodes!
  • Why this show keeps me watching week after week.

This episode was my favorite episode since Grave Danger. It was just so good. I liked how Nick made the case personal and how he exploded at the kid was just brilliant. I liked how we heard Cassie's voice throughout the episode which made me think of whether she was alive or whether she wasn't. Once again however we were presented with the killer kid. I didn't mind it this time though as the episode was just so great.

The only let down of the episode was that there was no rumored scene between Grissom and Sara. As soon as someone, I believe it was Sara, said that Grissom was at a conference giving a speech (most likely about bugs) I realized that there would be no Grissom this episode and no GSR. Still, even without the scene, it was a great episode and they managed to do it with only one case.
  • Well done and we see Nick evolve.

I really enjoyed this episode to say the least. Grissom is gone and the team is by itself. Even Catherine is back in Vegas. Nick, Sara, Warrick, and Greg are all called out to a small town. Possible quadruple murder. Later Catherine becomes slightly involved but from Vegas. The lead on this investigation is Nick. As he states, "We beging at the beginning". So fitting as we begin with a gum trail by a very intelligent little girl. This case feels to Nick like this little girl is still alive. You see Nick become very impassioned and even step a bit out of bounds. We see more of how Nick's live burial affects him. Must watch episode.
  • A family of four is murdered in the suburban Vegas, or so we're lead to believe. The show has the youngest vic's (a young girl) voice over in many scenes, and the episode completes it, coming full circle. Very dramatic, but well acted!

All I can say is WOW! This has to be another classic CSI episode. I mean gees; this kind of show is why it's my favorite show on t.v. Although there was no Grissom in this episode, which was disappointing (Only reason for the 9.9) this was still a stellar episode. The scene where Nick runs from the boat creates an excellent climax, and the scene at the end where the little girl writes to communicate with Nick could not have been more realistic. As for the case itself, the Hansel and Gretel tie-in was awesome. I love these episodes where one of the cast members goes on instinct to solve the case! It really brings it all together and adds a sense of realism that can't be gained any other way.
  • I'm not sure if I breathed at all during this one!

What a great episode. It was almost like watching another show since Gumdrops was very different. Lots of emotions allowed to come through from the CSIs. I missed Gil, although it was great to see how the CSIs work together without his supervision.

The little girl's voice coaching Nick through his investigation was both eerie and heart-breaking. Equally heart-breaking were the various images of her, both real and in Nick's mind.

I'm glad that TPTB are not shying away from the long-term issues of Nick's kidnapping. It is being addressed more & more, and this time it was for the good!
  • This is why Thursday nights are dedicated to CSI!!! This show rocks!!!

Nicks character was so felt in this episode. The whole time the voice over kept me guessing if the little girl was alive. The woman Sage saying that Nick had a feminum vibe, had me guessing that Nick was knowing she was still alive. This was a great episode. Kudos to writers!!!!
  • This episode was about a probabal quadrupal murder case that Nick took the lead on. But there were only 3 pools of blood in the house. Nick thinks that the little girl might still be alive, but Sara is doubtful, thinking that Nick's near-death experience

This is exactly why I watch this series. It was very well written and the case was one of the best I've seen yet. I thought it was very exciting and clever and I think Nick did an awesome job on the case! Sara too, of course. And Warick, Greg, Catherine, etc. I was kind of disappointed that Grissom wasn't in the episode, but it was still very great. The best part was the camera angles and the way the camera zoomed through the house in the beginning. That was very cool. The voiceover was unique too. Loved this one!
  • That was damn good!

The gum drop trail, the little girl, Nick's character development, the murder? What more could I ask for? This episode is fantastic, and very well-written indeed! The only downside, was Grissom's absence. But Sara + Greg chemistry = whoa!

Definitely looking forward to more episodes as fantastic as this =)

Yay, season 6!