CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Gum Drops

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 20, 2005 on CBS

• Nick determined to find a girl

Even without Grissom the episodes are still great and as good as they come when a family is murdered over drugs and their little girl is kidnapped and Nick is determined to find her because he believes if he survived when he was buried alive that she can survived when she is kidnapped.he girl leaves gum drops so that the CSI's can follow them to find her.Nick and the CSI's manage to find her in the end but has trouble speaking when Nick visits her in hospital with a very emotional ending.
  • A wonderful story

This episode is extraordinary. The CSIs try to solve 3 murders and a possible missing girl. Nick believes that the girl, Cassie, is still alive. The other CSIs believe she is dead. They find suspects from a local high school and figure out eventually what happened. The story of this episode is heartbreaking with narration throughout by Cassie. This episode is one of my favorites because it is so emotional, and simply a well told story. The end is especially a tearjerker. You will want the story to continue when the credits are rolling. This episode is amazing, and such a great one in the CSI series. Well worth watching again and again.
  • Amazing!!! I wish I could rate it higher than 10!!!

A small Nevada town, hours away from Las Vegas, we find Nick and three blood pools.A family of four missing, cell phones, wallets all there. Sara and the others, minus Grissom, arrive to help Nick.They find pounds of marajuana in the basement, "Motive.", States Sara as she and Nick photograph the drugs. Greg finds a piece of bubble gum in the drive way, along with odd tread marks that could be from a hitch or a boat.They ran DNA on the blood pools, match to Mom, Dad, Son, nothing to prove that the daughter, Cassie, was killed. On top of that none of her shoeprints were found at the scene.The evidence leads them to a local highschool student and his friends. After finding a kitchen-sized trash bag full of marajuana is found in the trunk of his car he is the prime suspect. After searching his car they also find a piece of bubble gum in his back seat. By this time Nick is very emotionally involved in the case, seeing as he had been buried alive six months prior. Sara encourages him not to get too deep into this. "Nick, you're acting like you're going to rescue a person, not find a body and on this job that's not usually the case." she says worried about her friend. " I was rescued." he says smiling. "It wasn't your day to die..." she said.
    Sara and Greg search the suspects boat. Guess what they find. A piece of bubble gum. Nick is convinced that Cassie is leaving them clues. Sara thinks that it is a major stretch, to think that finding a piece of gum is a clue, just didn't work for her. They learn from the suspects mother that he and his friends had taken the boat out the night before. While interagating the suspect Nick goes off and pins him against the wall."Stop messing with me, where is she?".Nick and Sara go to the lake that the suspects had been to the night before.Sara confronts him about what happened at the police station. He apologizes and they search the lake. They find the Mother, Father and Son, No Cassie. Sara goes back to the police station and interviews the suspect while Nick searches the lake again.Cassie is found of the shore of the lake with her throat slashed and a pack of bubble gum by her side. She is taken to the hospital where Nick visits her. She hands him a card that reads: To: goodguys About: badguys, Thanks for finding me. Nick begins to tear up. Of course she asks about her family. Nick tries to shelter her, but she is too smart to be babied. Great Episode!!! My Favorite
  • A home is found covered in blood, but no bodies are found. When the CSI team come in to investigate, Nick attaches to the little girl in the house and has hope that she can be found alive.

This is one of the best episodes ever written for the show. After everything Nick experienced, his reaction to hoping the little girl can be found alive showed a believable reaction to his own survival after Grave Danger.

When Nick and Sara talk over a picnic table, and she tried to gently let him know that it's probable the little girl is as dead as the rest of the family, Nick takes exception. It's a poignant moment when he talks about his own survival.

The most chilling part of the entire show is hearing the tale told through the raspy voice of a little girl. It brings an eerie quality to the episode that culminates in Nick's visit to her in the hospital.

The episode was utterly amazing.
  • Nick takes the lead on a case where a family of four have gone missing. Nick thinks that the little girl may still be alive, but Sara is doubtful. We see a more caring side to Sara as she helps Nick cope with the emotions of the case.

This is one of the best episodes to date. What makes this episode so good is Nick not only trying to find the young girl, but Nick trying to deal with his own abduction from the previous season, but the part of the episode that really got me was the heartfelt and emotional ending with Nick and the now safe young girl. Throughout this episode the voiceovers lead me to believe that in the end Nick would find the girl, but it would be too late and she would of died and it was being told as though they were her lasts thoughts, but in the end, Nick finds her in time, and I'm not ashamed to say that I had a tear in my eye.
  • A sad story about a little girl whose family are killed!

This was one of the saddest episodes of CSI ive seen and with the addition of the little Girls narration throughout it was definitely an interesting way for the story to be told.
    The other thing i liked about this episode is the fact that there was little of Grissom and Catherine, and although i like them it was nice to see the rest of the team go it alone for a change, especially Nick who took the lead in searching for the little girl. The sheer reasoning behined why the girls family were killed was awful in the fact that they didn't have 2 die, the final scene was very well performed and overall this is one of the saddest cases the team have investigated. Top Form.
  • My absolute favorite episode

I can't wait until i get this season on DVD, because this is my absolute favorite episode. It has been over a year since my first (and only) time seeing it, and I love it still. I love how Nick gets so involved with finding Cassie alive, I think it worked better that way than with Grissom, although we will never know. You just feel it.
    I had really expected Cassie to be dead, but I wanted her to be alive. That is what makes the end so amazing. It is just sweet and wonderful. I cannot say how much I love this episode, but it is definitely the best episode ever!
  • Nick is convinced that a little girl is alive after her house looks like a quadruple murder has accured.

After only three blood pools are found in the house, Nick believes that Cassie, the youngest of the family, may still be alive, through clues that she has left behind. This episode was so great that it is the only CSI episode I have bought on iTunes. The team, minus Grissom, tries to piece together a murder outside of Vegas where the four suspects are teenage boys. The plot reveals that the parents of the family were growing pounds of marijuana, and that the teenage son was doing his classmates homework for money. Because of his near death experience, Nick Stokes takes it upon himself to lead the team in the investigation, without having access to the bodies which have apparently been stolen from the house. This was a classic CSI episode, maybe the best of Season 6.
  • This episode is the best of season 6! It had me hooked all the way through.

This episode had everything and it had me watching until the end.

The episode started somber and gradually became fast passed. When a show starts like that, it keeps the viewers in.

Nick was looking for Cassie hoping she wasn't dead. Although everyone else didn't really think she could be alive. They kept trying to find clues to prove she was okay, but nothing was convincing them.

It had many great moments from discovering the secret in the basement, to the perfect Nick and Greg scene for us Nick and Greg Shippers.

The ending was magnificent. It had my sister and me in tears. When they found Cassie, I presumed she was dead, but I was ecstatic to see she was alive and she wanted to thank Nick for finding her. Beautiful moment!

A fantastic episode! If you haven't seen it, you should!

-Nicole
  • Best episode of the season

No doubt: this was the best episode of the season. Tension was created on the first seconds when it came clear to all viewers that the drama around the investigation would be exciting. The idea to insert the voiceover of a child whispering along with strong scenes showing a brutal murder filled the purpose.
    All CSIs worked very well playing their caracthers, as usual, but the performance of George Eads as Nick Stoke was brilliant, specially on a storyline combining a case that could bring back to him old memories of his recent trauma.
    The final scene showed the importance of CSI's job. It was very emotional and very rewarding to watch.
  • Rarely will I ever rate something with a ten, however, this installment deserves nothing less.

What exactly would being buried alive do to a person? Of course one can assume that there would be loads of psychological and emotional trauma, and in the case of CSI’s best character Nick Stokes, those descriptions are starting to come to fruition. Gum Drops is a perfect example of why CSI continues to be a dominating force in primetime television today. Empathizing greatly with the kidnapped little girl in question, Nick tries everything in his power to overcome his past trauma to find her – alive. Sara takes Nick’s side, but in the beginning demonstrates the pessimistic approach – later confessing that she thinks Nick’s partiality to the case might be hampering his judgment. It is understandable why the case would be emotionally jarring to Nick as he was kidnapped in the last episode of the fifth season, and the conversations between Sara and Nick alluding to that incident are some of the best moments in CSI history. The chemistry between the two characters is genuine, and it would have been spoiled if Grissom had been given the lead in the case like the creators initially decided. Sometimes changes in plans can work out better than anyone ever imagined, and Gum Drops is a prime example of that.
  • The survivor was the one narrarating? Shocker, to say the least.

This episode was amazing. We got to see how the kidnapping has affected Nick (freaking out when the bug landed on him, a strong-willed determination to find the little girl, etc.) Honestly, I didn't believe the girl was alive. When they found her with the boat, I was like "Oh, that's really sad the team didn't find her in time". The scene with Cassie and Nick in the hospital was priceless. He seemed so caring.

Now, if only the infamous 'unaired GSR' scene had shown up. Even without it, this still was a great episode!
  • a trail of Gum leads the case... a great episode!

wow, this episode was amazing, and it gave me the chills.

I really loved the girl talking in the background thing, it really gave me the chills (which is a good thing)
    I really liked how Nick made the case personal, I felt like it was personal for me too. ever since "Grave Danger" Ive been liking Nick and George Eads more and more, and with this episode he just gave me more reasons to. when Nick started crying in the last scene, so did I, the whole episode was just so emotional.

all in all one of the best episodes this season, I loved the whole gum idea, and just the whole episode in general.
  • I have to give this episode a 10 otherwise I will be distubed.

When I was watch this episode I was aware of how it would be that good until they found the weed cellar I started to pay attention. Then I with the episode went, I anticipate it is about how Nick fight himself inside and at the end he won. Biside that, I was worried about the little girl's life thought out the episode. When Nick ran down the river and saved her, my tears just couldn't stop falling until the episode ended. I'm a CSI fun, I love CSI LV. I think CSI NY and CSI Miami are good, but can't even compare to CSI LV. Amond all CSI LV episodes this episode impresed me the most.
  • This is the one of the best....ever.

There are many episodes that I place above all others. They are Stalker, The Accused is Entiled, Viva Las Vegas, Grave Danger, and now Gum Drops. I was dreading this episode because I don't like Grissom/Sara romance, but this one was centered around Nick, my favorite. He showed real emotion, and did things that he really shouldn't have. But because he was the lead, he couldn't be taken off. He beleived that she was alive so much that he went beyond what Greg, Sara or Warrick would do. He got physical with a suspect and jumped into a lake to get to her body faster. If there was anything above ten, that's what I've give this.
  • "Gum Drops" Probably one of the finest hours of television that this series has ever made.

Gum Drops is probably my favorite episode of all (next to Comitted). It takes us away from Las Vegas (to a little gold mining town called Pioche) and we hear a haunting and saddening voice of Cassie McBride. This first moment really touched me as we have a glimpse at what had happened even before the episode has really begun. But you soon learn that the entire McBride family is missing, with Nick, Sara, Greg, and Warrick responding to the call (Catherine and Brass are in Las Vegas, and Grissom is MIA).

But as the group begins to sift through the evidence they find out there are many secrets in Pioche, an example is the McBrides themselves, who are growing mirijuana in their basement. As the crime unfolds, they discover that their is blood at the scene from everyone but Cassie, but while Nick believes she is still alive, Sara (who is in the spotlight with Nick in the episode) and the rest of the team believe that she is dead. But as the crime unfolds, and they find "Gum Drops" (aka: dropped pieces of Bubblicious gum, which is Cassie's favorite). This soon convinces everyone that Cassie is alive (along with some help from an ATM tape showing Cassie). As Nick, Sara, and the rest race to find the killers/kidnappers they find that their culprits are teenage boys, which makes it more shocking.

The boys are eventually arrested for trying to get some of the marijuana and eventually killed the family. But when they find the bodies Cassie is not there. After a race through the lake, Nick finds Cassie's body by the lake's shore (I, at this point is yelling at the TV for killing Cassie) but then shows her in a hospital bed. It turns out she is alive, and narrated the whole story to Nick in herhospital bed.

This episode was perfect. It was exciting, sad, horrifying, laughable, and confusing throughout it. Nick and Sara (my favorite character) reacted to one another perfectly, and the race to find Cassie was exilerating. It was the best episode I believe so far, and should be treated as a classic. It is suprising that an episode without much airtime for the main characters (Grissom and Willows) could be so good. I give this episode a 10 and wish for more like it!
  • The best episode I've watched this season. This season just keeps getting better & better each & every week.

This season just keeps getting better & better each & every week.

The best episode I've watched this season. Even though Grissom wasn't in this episode (and I'm a huge fan of his) I really loved it. I keep imagining how much better this episode would have been if he was actually in it.

This time Nick takes the lead on a case he gets emotionally involved in when he believes that the little girl is alive.

The narration of the little girl was a different touch to the show, very nice.

The end was predictable but excellent, and it brought a few tears to my eyes.
  • Excelent episode!!

I really loved this episode, I was worried at the end of the last season that they would never top it out, but seeing episodes like this one it's fair to say that the series is at his best.

Nick takes the lead in a strange episode without Grissom... is not the first time, the other one I remember Warrick and Brass took the lead and it was a wonderful episode also. It's really good that they do things like this one it shows that the show is really mature and can survive without the lead (don't get me wrong, I think Grissom is the best).

I really liked the narration of Cassie along the episode, another unusual thing to see in CSI. I'm noticing in the last time how the directors bend some of the show rules and add something new to the ecuation, besides the work that Quentin Tarantino did, I liked this the best.

What I liked best in this episode is the character development for Nick, something that after "grave danger" I expect to see a lot this season. I really liked the part of the "feminin energy" and how Nick's voice breaks a little when he says he's trying to make it through this life.

I don't know the actress but I think that the little girl who plays Cassie does a wonderful job, it really breaks your heart at the end and when you hear her voice over the development of the story.

The best episode of CSI this season so far(ok, I didn't watch that far... only five episodes, but it doesn't matter).
  • I didn´t think that could be a good episody without Grissom.

I didn´t think that could be a good episody without Grissom. But with Nick as leader and all the efects from last season he show us why he is here yet.
    The Best epsody of the Season.
    And we have no time to miss Grissom.
    I hope they continuos in this way we have a lot of win.
  • Originally it was supposed to have Grissom take the lead but this worked so much better with Nick in the lead on the case.

The reincorporation of story threads out of Grave Danger was brilliant. So many shows drop the ball when it comes to showing the effects of a previous pivotal episode on the characters. CSI is doing a fantastic job of letting us see how Nick\\\'s near death is affecting the whole team.

The four young CSI\\\'s sitting at the picnic table having breakfast was a wonderfully revealing scene that they are more than a group of coworkers, they are a set of siblings. The ribbing Greg and Sara were giving Warrick showed how much they care for at each other while trying to put a light spin on Nick\\\'s intense involvement in the case. You could feel that underneath they were all concerned for Nick but trying to channel it elsewhere.

More than whether the girl turned up alive or dead, this was the scene that did it for me.
  • Very good episode!

I think this was a great episode, especially to follow Nick emotionally as he tries to find out what happened to Cassie. In some ways he relates to the girl, seeing how he also were in a similar position not too long ago. Maybe it's just me but I thought I saw a reaction connected to when Nick was buried alive, when he saw the picture of the gum, seeing how that was one of the things he used while being under the ground. Like he was reacting in seeing that picture, that it was reminding him.

In overall a great episode!
  • amazing episode!

I love how the end ties back to the beginning of the episode with the girl telling us the story of what happen. It was nice to see a side of Nick we haven't really seen before and tying us back to his abduction in the 5th season finale and how he's been affected by it. This episode was a really sad one not really what i'm accustomed to in CSI but it just shows you how well the series is written.
  • Most Disturbing Episode in the entire series.

This episode possibly is one of the most disturbing in the entire series the other one is probably the previous one with the Cult followers. It is by far the scariest and most suspenseful episode. It is one of the few in which Brass and Grissom do not appear. By far this episode raised the hairs on my spine. It was absolutely scary.
  • Quite possibly in my top five CSI episodes

Wow.

The CSI writing and production team never ceases to amaze me with their writing and execution. Unlike other shows, CSI bats a thousand when experimenting with subtle, yet powerful new ideas. I am of course, referring to the young girl's voice-overs throughout the episode.

Being a very big fan of Gil Grissom, I was somewhat disappointed when it appeared he would not be starring in this episode. I must confess that I did not even miss him this week. We now see that the team can function perfectly without him, which I hope is not a subtle indicator that Grissom will be playing a less significant role in the future of the series.

The character development with Nick and Sara was interesting to watch. Only a few seasons ago, Sara was the one who got emotional on cases, and Nick was one of the guys who reminded her to "follow the evidence". Things now have taken a 360 ever since Nick's incident. This display on human fragility adds a huge dimension to the show's believability, since its characters encounter things on a daily basis that most of us could not imagine encountering once. It only makes sense that the very nature of their occupations takes its toll emotionally.

The outcome of the episode, was unfortunately somewhat transparent, predictable and has become cliché throughout the CSI series. Nevertheless, the flawless writing, direction and production values of this particular episode made the outcome somewhat immaterial.

If this season continues producing episodes of this caliber, I don't see CSI jumping the shark anytime this year. The only problem with producing an episode this good, is that the standards get raised, and will tend to make future episodes seem lackluster, regardless of how good they really are.
  • I really enjoyed this episode

It was kind of a tear jerker at the end when Nick was talking to Cassie. I really enjoyed it. I liked that the episode focused on Nick and how his instinct has changed since he was buried alive. He was really in tune with one the victims which was Cassie. It seemed like he wanted to talk to Sage again after what she told him when she stopped by the Mcbride house. My daughter was really into the storyline also, she forced her self to stay awake until it was over. There was just something about this episode that I can't really describe and put into words. Just that it was an excellent episode.
  • Thank you, thank you writers, this was an excellent show, kept me on the edge of my seat, this is what keeps viewers returning.

Thanks you giving other characters a chance to shine like the lead ones. We would like to see them develop their ranges too! Must say Worok is
    too hansome for words. Hope to see some Halloween shows, this is definitely a good product to have some fun with, thank you.
  • Awesome episode!

I love how this episode did a full loop - the narration we hear all through is what the little girl tells Nick at the end. It added a lot of mystery, until everything makes sense at the end. The story was very well written. This wasn't the 'usual' CSI crime, they didn't even have Grissom. I'm definitely looking forward to more episodes like this continuing in season 6!
  • By far the best episode of the season.

This has to be by far the best episode this season. Even though Grissom was no where to be found the team did an outstanding job. Nick was great. He refused to give up on the little girl even when every one else believed she was probably dead. So what if what happened to Nick was influencing him. I would hope until there was concrete proof CSI's/Detectives would continue to investigate a case as if the person was alive.
  • Definitely one of the best episodes. Nick takes the lead on a possible 4 victim homicide, and comes through brilliantly!

When Nick, Sara, Warrick, and Greg are called to work a possible 4 victim homicide, we see how the team is able to work without Gil. Gil always puts a special spin on the cases on which he works. Though this is something I look forward to each week, this episode was outstanding, even without Gil.

The character of Nick has definitely come through some changes since his near death experience. On this case, we see him get personally involved, as if Cassie, whose body is still missing, were his own family member. Sara feels he is over-reacting and making decisions based on emotions. In this case though, those emotional decisions turned out to be gut instinct, which helped Nick find the missing little girl Cassie. The final scene, between Nick and Cassie in the hospital, brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you to all involved in this episode! Great show!
  • Nick takes the lead on a very emotional case, and believes that the youngest daughter is still alive, even with doubts from the other members of the team. Especially Sara

This episode was AMAZING! Talk about a favourite. The little girl doing the talk over was kind of confusing and a little creepy at some points, but it all came together in the end. George Eads is an amazing actor. He did a great job in this episode ( like all others of course. It really showed how his character has changed over the past 6 months. The rest of the team is now seeing that he may not be the sam ol’ Nicky that he always was.
    Warrick’s new wife was mentioned in this episode. It seems as if the writers are trying to bring a personal touch to the show, which is great. But it seems as if there was a bit of foreshadowing when Greg mentioned Yoko Ono, could Warrick start fading out of the teams life?
    Lets hope the writers keep coming up with great shows like this one!
< 1 2