CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Gum Drops

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 20, 2005 on CBS

• this episode is why i watch the show

Hands down probably one of my favorite episodes. I missed the majority of season 5 because I was in Asia..but after finally getting to see the finale and then watching this episode, I could see how this would affect Nick. Not only because of his near death experience, but also because of what happened to him as a child. I will admit this, even though it makes me feel dumb, but the first time I watched the episode I had no idea the little girl was actually..telling her story. Especially with the way Nick reacted, and the whole spiel with the hippie lady asking if he was hearing voices.
  • More character development for the "younger" CSIs

Loved that Grissom and Cat weren't as involved as much. Both are great characters and mentors but eventually the children got to grow up and not depend on G and C so much. Although I kind of missed more Warrick screen time but not everyone can be the center of attention.

Nick is great but sometimes I think he may get too emotional. Sara is there as a counterbalance but she can't be there forever especially with the way things are going for her and Grissom.

Nice ep but character development was stronger. Lil kid was cool for leaving the gum drops but how she survived being drugged with a cut throat -I don't know.
  • Excellent and picking up clues

Wow good on Nick for following his instincts. He trusted his gut and was right, she saved the girl!
    She was a very smart little girl leaving the trail of gum for them to find her and they were very smart for picking up the connection and following the clues.

I am amazed at how well the team and all investigators are at finding the evidence and clues, however small or large and putting everything together to work out what happened to the victim and who the killer may be. Sometimes I think that luck plays a very big part in it.
  • I was suprised by how well the episode turned out.

I was suprised by how well the episode turned out. I initially was disappointed when I found out that William Peterson would not be staring in the episode. I however really liked the episode although the ending was a bit disappointing. I liked the way the episode was shot it goes along with the new style that has shown up in all the episodes this season. The change in Sara's character nicely complimented the regression of Nick's. Sara stepped up to the plate and was in charge while Nick regressed to a state of emotion. I also liked watching Greg precess, he's learning but at a rate that's definatly believable; he still makes mistakes. The episode however lacked apperances by Catherine and as usual Warrick.
  • The team tries to find a missing family

This was a very cleaver use of scenery and dialogue. The story was a true mystery and you aren't in the situation where you can guess the ending and solve the mystery half way through to show. It's good continuity to show that Nick is still affected by his ordeal in last season's finale.
  • A very emotional CSI episode

This episode starts strange in that the CSI's investigate a family residence that has large amounts of blood inside but no bodies anywhere to be found. Further investigation of the home reveals a basement full of marijuana plants. CSI finds that the pools of blood in the house belong to the father, mother and teenage son with no blood found for the young daughter Cassie. Nick believes the young girl to be alive but Sara sends doubt his way telling him that after it's all said and done, the chances of the girl being alive are very slim. The CSI do what they do best and come up with a few suspects and take in some teenage boys for questioning. After it becomes pretty obvious they were involved in the deaths, Nick loses his temper and attacks one of them in the interrogation room demanding to know what they did with Cassie. The title of the episode refers to the trail of bubblegum that Cassie leaves behind to help aid in her rescue and when Nick finds her it is a very emotional scene. Due to her being unable to talk, she writes to Nick thanking him for saving her and it was the closest I've come to crying from a CSI episode. Nick has to explain to Cassie that her family is dead and with the reasons behind it being so senseless this is truly an emotionally stirring episode. Brass and Grissom are also absent from this episode.
  • Nick follows the gum drops and save a little girl...

The CSIs arrived at a crime scene where all four members are thought to be murdered, only to find out that the little girl might still be alive. Nick takes the lead on this case and is convinced that the little girl is still alive. As they proceed through the investigation, they follow gum drops trail that the girl left on the way. Sara thinks that Nick might be taking the case personally after what happened to him when he was kidnapped and buried. In the end, the little girl is found and she thanks Nick for saving her from the ‘bad guys’.
  • This is a great episode!

I like this episode because the kid is so cleaver and leaves a trail of gum. I though it was cool how nick was so involved in the case and from the start though the little girl was alive.This case really brought out Nicks character because he could relate to the victim because he was one to. I thought it was cool too because Sara was there to kinda keep him on track and under control.I liked how the beging was how the little girl was telling just part of what happened and when they found a weird clue she would say somthing and it was kinda creepy!
  • An adorable ending.......

The Grissom sized hole in this eppy didn't affect me in the slightest (for the first and only time!)

Nick Stokes, along with Greggo, Warrick and Sara are investigating the heartbreaking disappearence of an entire family- but it's the little girl who's the main focus here. Nicky becomes almost obsessed by her, and believe she's leaving him a trail of "Gum Drops" to lead to her location.

This episode has clearly been plotted to perfection, but Sara Sidle's sympathetic dealing with her upset co-worker Nicky gives the story a nice central. I love their relationship- and the fact that it sort of continues from Grave Danger, offers us loyal viewers some continuity.

And the ending!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well- lets just say it's bittersweet, but I'm now officially in love with a fictional character!!

Oh and kudos to George Eads, for yet another Emmy deserving performance.
  • My absolute favorite episode

I can't wait until i get this season on DVD, because this is my absolute favorite episode. It has been over a year since my first (and only) time seeing it, and I love it still. I love how Nick gets so involved with finding Cassie alive, I think it worked better that way than with Grissom, although we will never know. You just feel it.
    I had really expected Cassie to be dead, but I wanted her to be alive. That is what makes the end so amazing. It is just sweet and wonderful. I cannot say how much I love this episode, but it is definitely the best episode ever!
  • Nick is convinced that a little girl is alive after her house looks like a quadruple murder has accured.

After only three blood pools are found in the house, Nick believes that Cassie, the youngest of the family, may still be alive, through clues that she has left behind. This episode was so great that it is the only CSI episode I have bought on iTunes. The team, minus Grissom, tries to piece together a murder outside of Vegas where the four suspects are teenage boys. The plot reveals that the parents of the family were growing pounds of marijuana, and that the teenage son was doing his classmates homework for money. Because of his near death experience, Nick Stokes takes it upon himself to lead the team in the investigation, without having access to the bodies which have apparently been stolen from the house. This was a classic CSI episode, maybe the best of Season 6.
  • Best episode of the season

No doubt: this was the best episode of the season. Tension was created on the first seconds when it came clear to all viewers that the drama around the investigation would be exciting. The idea to insert the voiceover of a child whispering along with strong scenes showing a brutal murder filled the purpose.
    All CSIs worked very well playing their caracthers, as usual, but the performance of George Eads as Nick Stoke was brilliant, specially on a storyline combining a case that could bring back to him old memories of his recent trauma.
    The final scene showed the importance of CSI's job. It was very emotional and very rewarding to watch.
  • Rarely will I ever rate something with a ten, however, this installment deserves nothing less.

What exactly would being buried alive do to a person? Of course one can assume that there would be loads of psychological and emotional trauma, and in the case of CSI’s best character Nick Stokes, those descriptions are starting to come to fruition. Gum Drops is a perfect example of why CSI continues to be a dominating force in primetime television today. Empathizing greatly with the kidnapped little girl in question, Nick tries everything in his power to overcome his past trauma to find her – alive. Sara takes Nick’s side, but in the beginning demonstrates the pessimistic approach – later confessing that she thinks Nick’s partiality to the case might be hampering his judgment. It is understandable why the case would be emotionally jarring to Nick as he was kidnapped in the last episode of the fifth season, and the conversations between Sara and Nick alluding to that incident are some of the best moments in CSI history. The chemistry between the two characters is genuine, and it would have been spoiled if Grissom had been given the lead in the case like the creators initially decided. Sometimes changes in plans can work out better than anyone ever imagined, and Gum Drops is a prime example of that.
  • The survivor was the one narrarating? Shocker, to say the least.

This episode was amazing. We got to see how the kidnapping has affected Nick (freaking out when the bug landed on him, a strong-willed determination to find the little girl, etc.) Honestly, I didn't believe the girl was alive. When they found her with the boat, I was like "Oh, that's really sad the team didn't find her in time". The scene with Cassie and Nick in the hospital was priceless. He seemed so caring.

Now, if only the infamous 'unaired GSR' scene had shown up. Even without it, this still was a great episode!
  • a trail of Gum leads the case... a great episode!

wow, this episode was amazing, and it gave me the chills.

I really loved the girl talking in the background thing, it really gave me the chills (which is a good thing)
    I really liked how Nick made the case personal, I felt like it was personal for me too. ever since "Grave Danger" Ive been liking Nick and George Eads more and more, and with this episode he just gave me more reasons to. when Nick started crying in the last scene, so did I, the whole episode was just so emotional.

all in all one of the best episodes this season, I loved the whole gum idea, and just the whole episode in general.
  • I have to give this episode a 10 otherwise I will be distubed.

When I was watch this episode I was aware of how it would be that good until they found the weed cellar I started to pay attention. Then I with the episode went, I anticipate it is about how Nick fight himself inside and at the end he won. Biside that, I was worried about the little girl's life thought out the episode. When Nick ran down the river and saved her, my tears just couldn't stop falling until the episode ended. I'm a CSI fun, I love CSI LV. I think CSI NY and CSI Miami are good, but can't even compare to CSI LV. Amond all CSI LV episodes this episode impresed me the most.
  • This is the one of the best....ever.

There are many episodes that I place above all others. They are Stalker, The Accused is Entiled, Viva Las Vegas, Grave Danger, and now Gum Drops. I was dreading this episode because I don't like Grissom/Sara romance, but this one was centered around Nick, my favorite. He showed real emotion, and did things that he really shouldn't have. But because he was the lead, he couldn't be taken off. He beleived that she was alive so much that he went beyond what Greg, Sara or Warrick would do. He got physical with a suspect and jumped into a lake to get to her body faster. If there was anything above ten, that's what I've give this.
  • The best episode I've watched this season. This season just keeps getting better & better each & every week.

This season just keeps getting better & better each & every week.

The best episode I've watched this season. Even though Grissom wasn't in this episode (and I'm a huge fan of his) I really loved it. I keep imagining how much better this episode would have been if he was actually in it.

This time Nick takes the lead on a case he gets emotionally involved in when he believes that the little girl is alive.

The narration of the little girl was a different touch to the show, very nice.

The end was predictable but excellent, and it brought a few tears to my eyes.
  • Excelent episode!!

I really loved this episode, I was worried at the end of the last season that they would never top it out, but seeing episodes like this one it's fair to say that the series is at his best.

Nick takes the lead in a strange episode without Grissom... is not the first time, the other one I remember Warrick and Brass took the lead and it was a wonderful episode also. It's really good that they do things like this one it shows that the show is really mature and can survive without the lead (don't get me wrong, I think Grissom is the best).

I really liked the narration of Cassie along the episode, another unusual thing to see in CSI. I'm noticing in the last time how the directors bend some of the show rules and add something new to the ecuation, besides the work that Quentin Tarantino did, I liked this the best.

What I liked best in this episode is the character development for Nick, something that after "grave danger" I expect to see a lot this season. I really liked the part of the "feminin energy" and how Nick's voice breaks a little when he says he's trying to make it through this life.

I don't know the actress but I think that the little girl who plays Cassie does a wonderful job, it really breaks your heart at the end and when you hear her voice over the development of the story.

The best episode of CSI this season so far(ok, I didn't watch that far... only five episodes, but it doesn't matter).
  • I didn´t think that could be a good episody without Grissom.

I didn´t think that could be a good episody without Grissom. But with Nick as leader and all the efects from last season he show us why he is here yet.
    The Best epsody of the Season.
    And we have no time to miss Grissom.
    I hope they continuos in this way we have a lot of win.
  • Very good episode!

I think this was a great episode, especially to follow Nick emotionally as he tries to find out what happened to Cassie. In some ways he relates to the girl, seeing how he also were in a similar position not too long ago. Maybe it's just me but I thought I saw a reaction connected to when Nick was buried alive, when he saw the picture of the gum, seeing how that was one of the things he used while being under the ground. Like he was reacting in seeing that picture, that it was reminding him.

In overall a great episode!
  • Most Disturbing Episode in the entire series.

This episode possibly is one of the most disturbing in the entire series the other one is probably the previous one with the Cult followers. It is by far the scariest and most suspenseful episode. It is one of the few in which Brass and Grissom do not appear. By far this episode raised the hairs on my spine. It was absolutely scary.
  • I really enjoyed this episode

It was kind of a tear jerker at the end when Nick was talking to Cassie. I really enjoyed it. I liked that the episode focused on Nick and how his instinct has changed since he was buried alive. He was really in tune with one the victims which was Cassie. It seemed like he wanted to talk to Sage again after what she told him when she stopped by the Mcbride house. My daughter was really into the storyline also, she forced her self to stay awake until it was over. There was just something about this episode that I can't really describe and put into words. Just that it was an excellent episode.
  • Thank you, thank you writers, this was an excellent show, kept me on the edge of my seat, this is what keeps viewers returning.

Thanks you giving other characters a chance to shine like the lead ones. We would like to see them develop their ranges too! Must say Worok is
    too hansome for words. Hope to see some Halloween shows, this is definitely a good product to have some fun with, thank you.
  • Nick takes the lead on a case where a family of four have gone missing. Nick thinks that the little girl may still be alive, but Sara is doubtful. We see a more caring side to Sara as she helps Nick cope with the emotions of the case.

This is one of the best episodes to date. What makes this episode so good is Nick not only trying to find the young girl, but Nick trying to deal with his own abduction from the previous season, but the part of the episode that really got me was the heartfelt and emotional ending with Nick and the now safe young girl. Throughout this episode the voiceovers lead me to believe that in the end Nick would find the girl, but it would be too late and she would of died and it was being told as though they were her lasts thoughts, but in the end, Nick finds her in time, and I'm not ashamed to say that I had a tear in my eye.
  • This episode is the best of season 6! It had me hooked all the way through.

This episode had everything and it had me watching until the end.

The episode started somber and gradually became fast passed. When a show starts like that, it keeps the viewers in.

Nick was looking for Cassie hoping she wasn't dead. Although everyone else didn't really think she could be alive. They kept trying to find clues to prove she was okay, but nothing was convincing them.

It had many great moments from discovering the secret in the basement, to the perfect Nick and Greg scene for us Nick and Greg Shippers.

The ending was magnificent. It had my sister and me in tears. When they found Cassie, I presumed she was dead, but I was ecstatic to see she was alive and she wanted to thank Nick for finding her. Beautiful moment!

A fantastic episode! If you haven't seen it, you should!

-Nicole
  • Originally it was supposed to have Grissom take the lead but this worked so much better with Nick in the lead on the case.

The reincorporation of story threads out of Grave Danger was brilliant. So many shows drop the ball when it comes to showing the effects of a previous pivotal episode on the characters. CSI is doing a fantastic job of letting us see how Nick\\\'s near death is affecting the whole team.

The four young CSI\\\'s sitting at the picnic table having breakfast was a wonderfully revealing scene that they are more than a group of coworkers, they are a set of siblings. The ribbing Greg and Sara were giving Warrick showed how much they care for at each other while trying to put a light spin on Nick\\\'s intense involvement in the case. You could feel that underneath they were all concerned for Nick but trying to channel it elsewhere.

More than whether the girl turned up alive or dead, this was the scene that did it for me.
  • amazing episode!

I love how the end ties back to the beginning of the episode with the girl telling us the story of what happen. It was nice to see a side of Nick we haven't really seen before and tying us back to his abduction in the 5th season finale and how he's been affected by it. This episode was a really sad one not really what i'm accustomed to in CSI but it just shows you how well the series is written.
  • Awesome episode!

I love how this episode did a full loop - the narration we hear all through is what the little girl tells Nick at the end. It added a lot of mystery, until everything makes sense at the end. The story was very well written. This wasn't the 'usual' CSI crime, they didn't even have Grissom. I'm definitely looking forward to more episodes like this continuing in season 6!
  • By far the best episode of the season.

This has to be by far the best episode this season. Even though Grissom was no where to be found the team did an outstanding job. Nick was great. He refused to give up on the little girl even when every one else believed she was probably dead. So what if what happened to Nick was influencing him. I would hope until there was concrete proof CSI's/Detectives would continue to investigate a case as if the person was alive.
< 1 2