CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Hollywood Brass

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Apr 21, 2005 on CBS

• Brass comes to LA to help his estranged daughter, Ellie, whose roommate and fellow hooker has disappeared.

This was a refreshing departure from the usual episodes, bringing in Warrick, who's in town for a conference. Because the LAPD Captain, Anne Kramer, has worked with Brass, she doesn't give us any of the usual you're-in-my-jurisdiction complications, and we see them working together. Warrick and Matt, from the LAPD crime lab, also work well together; I enjoyed their little conversations. Of course, this is "CSI", not "CSI:LA", so Brass and Warrick do much more to move the case along than the LAPD.

Brass' relationship with Ellie, his daughter, is still very strained, and if you're looking for a nice, pat ending wrapped and tied with a bow, you won't find that here. You will find a more realistic ending that is infinitely more satisfying.

The guest cast was just interesting enough to make me want to see more of them. Captain Kramer and Matt Glaser from the LAPD Crime Lab would be a good start for that"CSI: LA" spinoff.