CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Inside the Box

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 15, 2003 on CBS

• A bank robbery leads to something bigger and Grissom's hearing gets worse.

This was a suspenseful season finale that started with a professional bank robbery that led to a death of a cop and it wasn't about money because they go for a safe deposit box but the CSI's have to find out what was in there.While investigating Grissom finds that his hearing is going worse and later has surgery to fix it but before that the bank robbery leads to Catherine finding her biological father Sam Braun who is an owner of a casino and who ordered the robbery to get the only piece of evidence linking him to a murder and later is arrested.This episode like the previous episode has been really good for developing the characters and it has made season 3 the best season so far.
  • Why always the detective?

Poor Lockwood! No fair, Cyrus Lockwood was my favorite detective in the show (except for Brass), but I think they kinda pushed it killing off Lockwood. On the other hand, Sam Braun pops up again, Cath finds out he's her biological father after he kills a man, althrough, he maybe a sneaky, slimey S.O.B but I like him. Grissom gets surgery on his ear, I didn't really know what to think, where's the GSR? In one word, I thought overall this was an emotional episode, but a very good one at that, the sour note was losing one of the Las Vegas Police Department's finest, but that's about it.
  • A detective is killed in the process of a bank robbery. Grissom and Catherine have personal dilemmas to deal with.

Wow. What an episode. Where do I start?
    First, the team must deal with the death of a fellow officer, Det. Lockwood. But that is almost forgotten about by the end as the characters deal with their own problems.
    Grissom's hearing has deteriorated to the point where he needs surgery. He leaves Catherine in charge fo the case. Catherine goes to Sam Braun alone, but since she is confronting him about being her father, it works out to her benefit.
    After she finishes her business, she meets Grissom at the hospital for moral support. But I must have mssed the Spiderman boxers everyone else is talking about.
    Poor Greg is still shaken up from the previous lab explosion and whe see a softer side of Grissom as he reassures Greg, who tells him his hands have been shaking ever since, and offers himself if Greg needs to talk about it.
  • A bank robbery, confrontation by Catherine and Grissom has further problems with his hearing.

I thought this one was great. The case was excellent, with some good evidence collecting and processing, and to kill off a season 3 regular, well, I wasn't expecting that. What was different about this one was that it had a lot of character moments which were not confined to this episode. Something that is rare for this show. It tends to usually focus on one episode at a time, and viewers could watch them in any order and still be in on the story. But Catherine found out who her true father was, which i'm sure will affect episodes to come and Grissom is fixing his hearing, which was a major story arc from the second and third seasons. It will be interesting to see the continuation into season four and if these events will have any impact on the future. But all round, a brilliant episode. 9.5/10

Justin Grima

This is my 6th review.
  • What a great way to end the season! I only wish there was some GSR to go with it, and I don't mean the kind Nick found on the chair.

Grissom's hearing is worse & he has to undergo surgery to fix it. I like how he told Doc Robbins that he ignored his problem because he thought it would go away. Grissom is a well educated man and should know better, but it just shows us that in the end he's only human.

Catherine finds out that Sam Braun is her bialogical father & what a way to find out, I'm still wondering why would she check an unknown blood sample against her own for DNA comparison.

And right at the end I couldn't help smiling at Grissom's backless hospital gown and his spiderman boxers too. I think Cath was smiling at them as well.

• Shock! Awe! Unintentionally giggly moments!

I always love seeing reruns of this episode, but I always find myself wondering the same thing when it's over.

And so, I'm inclined to ask, did anyone else think ..... at the very end of the episode, after Catherine’s hugged Gil and he heroically turns down the ride to surgery in a wheelchair, and Cath is smiling while watching him walk down the corridor .... who else gets the feeling that she is smiling because his hospital gown is backless and his Spiderman boxers are hanging out for all the world to see?

Really, no one?