CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Karma To Burn

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Sep 26, 2012 on CBS

• Good and bad

I will preface these comments by saying I was the BIGGEST CSI fan up until a couple of seasons ago. I thought it had lost its way a bit with the ray langston character but felt that last season it really started to hit its stride again. I was looking forward to the season opener and, for the most part it lived up to expectation. I think there were some really good performances from Ted Danson, jorja fox and Eric szmanda (amongst others), but, I have to say, I feel Nick Stokes has had his day. His character used to be so different. He was a young man with a really tough job who would be affected by the things he saw and that made him stand out from other shows which would always have young men playing the tough guy roles. For the last few seasons, George Eads has been playing the character with almost a John Wayne-ish ness flair....and it just comes off as being ridiculous. I think he swaggers around too much, draws his weapon at the slightest sneeze, and talks as if he is a town sheriff. He has become HIGHLY annoying and I personally think it stems from Eads' own ego at being on a successful show. His performance, I think, detracts from the show and, as someone who was once a huge fan of Nick Stokes, I now cringe when he is on screen. The scenes without Nick in them were gritty but remained solid. I think Ted Danson has been a great addition to an aging show which needed a shot in the arm to rejuvenate it after the loss of some of the major stars. I hope the season improves.