CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Ms. Willows Regrets

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 18, 2012 on CBS

• After A Professional Hit Occurs At A Law Firm, The CSIs Find Shocking Similarities At A Crime Scene. The Case Gets Personal To Catherine.

The first part of Catherine Willows's exit from the series was thousand times better than Gil Grissom's. Catherine deserved a powerful farewell and this episode managed to do that. The opening scene is just epic! It was suspensful and mysterious. This episode featured a very suspensfull soundtrack which made the episode more darker. D.B Russell's excellent team leader skills can be seen in this episode. The team of assassins is very interesting and I love it since we have not seen anything like it in this show. Marg Helgenberger is the sexiest lady on TV. I can't wait to see how the storyline concludes!
  • A great dramatic cliffhanger as Marg's exit (and Catherine's life) hangs in the balance.

This is exactly why I've always loved CSI -- it had the procedural drama part down, but also knows how to pull out a great character-driven episode every so often (Nick's burial, Sarah's desert kidnapping, Catherine's "rape" and so on). Not only does the show produce these great episodes (though lately there are a lot more duds...which makes this great episode stand out even more), but they also know how to make great cliffhangers, and this is a great example.

Of course this episode was Catherine-centric, and I'm glad it was. It was a good idea to bring back the open-ended Laura case, which brought big emotional ties to Catherine. Add in the spark of romance she had with the FBI agent, while Vartann is still hanging around, and you've got some great Catherine drama. The other CSIs played their parts well, with Russell becoming more and more likeable (which helps now that Marg will be gone).

The emotional build towards the end of the episode was definitely the highlight. From the moment Catherine realized the woman killer had infiltrated the FBI, to when she arrived at the scene and saw the charred bodies...it just kept building. She left the scene in a huff, Russell saw her resignation...then she went home to a crazy shooting -- that she survived! Now we get to wait nervously for a week to see if her statement ("I'll live") holds true.

I know I was on the edge of my seat (coffee table actually, since it's closer to the TV), and that's the #1 goal of a drama, right? I don't want any lame sappy walk-into-the-sunset exits on a drama -- that is not dramatic! This? This is good drama! I only worry that after Marg leaves, we won't get any more impressive episodes like this...
  • Catherine cliffhanger

Finally, I've been waiting a while for this. This whole episode was exciting all the 40 minutes. Highlight of the season so far I must say. And Marg is flawless as always, one great actress!
  • In part one of a two part episode, a case Catherine investigates effects her so badly that she resigns from the crime lab.

Aside from this episode's obvious significance in that it is the beginning of the end for Marg Helgenberger, "Ms. Willows Regrets" is memorable for other reasons. One such reason is the excellent performances by Helgenberger and Ted Danson. Their firey exchanges about the case are terrific. It's a shame that we will not see many more of them in the future. The suspense through out the episode is another high point. After twelve seasons "CSI" remains the best crime drama on television. I am not giving the episode a higher score because of a few contrivances. The villian seems a little too formulaic and cliched. Speaking of cliched, how about that team of assasins! Despite this flaw, "Ms. Williows Regrets" is a very good episode that is worth your time. I am looking forward to part two.
  • Intense

Very intense. Great acting. Makes me want to catch the guy behind this, as well as the killers!
CBS