CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

The Finger

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jan 31, 2002 on CBS

• A married guy, Roy Logan's, girlfriend gets kidnapped, and he gets a ransom demand. Catherine gets a call from a mysterious squeaky-by-helium voice, she disappears, and the team have no idea where she is.

Fortunately, Catherine leaves evidence for the CSIs, such as accidentally-on-purpose skidding a vehicle to leave tire marks. When waiting for Mr. Squeaky Voice's next call, she has a drink at a bar, and Roy gives her a finger. He says the kidnapper left it at Amanda, his girlfriend's house, to get him to pay the ransom. Catherine preserves the evidence in a glass of ice, and places it down at Sara's (who coincidentally is eating at the restaurant/bar with Hank) table, barely making eye contact.

In the end the team find out that Amanda was dead before the ransom demand was made, and that Roy Logan was the killer. Mr. Squeaky Voice was a part played by his lawyer. It was all an act.

This episode was very special, what with the whole Catherine-disappearing thing, and the twist at the end. I honestly thought the wife was the killer/kidnapper. "The Finger" also had a really good opening, of Roy Logan withdrawing money from a bank and constantly looking at the clock. Really fantastic episode. Kept me on the edge of the sofa.
  • Kept me sitting the whole hour.

It's a good episode. Everything is going well, until Logan "forgets" his sun glasses and cell phone in the table where he was being interrogated. This is when Catherine rushes to hand them to him. Unluckyly, he was gone. Few moments later, the phone rings. Curiously, Catherine answers the phone. Unfortunately, a helium distorted voice tells Catherine to leave everything, and follow thier instructions. As the episode develops, Catherine realizes that she needs to hand in a million dollars to some guy. Having previous esperience, she leaves some marks that will later lead the rest of the team to her. The last time Catherine was seen, was in a restaurant, where she delivers a cut finger to Sara.
  • One perfect Show, let me tell you that.

Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!

All this time I was with Catherine. I believed the guy. An then he turned out to be a murderer. I love Cathy leaving behind clue after clue. He couldn't have found a better way to cover up his murder then to make a CSI believe him :) There were only two things I did not like: The thing with the glow in the dark paste was genious yet also overkill. Because the fact that the hands glowed so much after so much time was very unlikely. Every time the lawyer touched something he would lose some of the glow paste. And even if he didn't and if he didn't wash his hands a glow in the dark paste for kids, is unlikely to glow that much.

Second small little thing: I wished Sarah would have been the one. Seeing how I totally love Jorja Fox! I just think she did not have enough screen time in the past few episodes. But that's probably just me :)
  • This episode really kept you guessing until the end.

This episode was very well done. I would've never guess that the guy had staged the kidnapping and everything! It was absolutely brilliant. CSI has had things staged before, but I don't think kidnapping was one of them. Even if they've done a staged kidnapping episode, I doubt they've done one like this. A truly ingenious plot. Also, you get to see Sara actually out and about with someone! This episode gave another example of how word about your personal life can spread through your work place pretty quickly and easily if you're not careful. All in all, another marvelous episode of CSI.
  • I think this is my all time favourite episode. A kidnapping, Catherine also 'abducted', a severed finger and a clever mystery.

I liked this because although some people might have guessed the ending, it's not totally obvious by any means for a lot of the episode.

It's a race against time to find the kidnapper of the mistress of a rich, married guy. Her finger has already been sent to him, and when he is arrested shortly after withdrawing a huge ransom, the kidnapper gets antsy. So when he's seen with Catherine, the kidnapper makes her get into the guy's car and follow instructions for the drop.

The fun elements show Catherine thinking on her feet and leaving a trail of clues for the rest of the team to follow. Funniest is probably when she notices Sara on her date and goes to the same bar, ignores her, then dumps a severed finger in a glass of ice on her table.

In case you haven't seen it or gathered how it ends by reading the quotes section, I'll put in a SPOILER warning here.

When it becomes obvious that Catherine was being played by the guy, the neat twist is nicely revealed, and her reaction is priceless. The whole team thankfully goes through the entire story again, this time in the knowledge of what actually happened, so the audience can see the signs for themselves.

And it is all wrapped up nice and neatly, which is gratifying, because I'd have hated Catherine to go through all that and not get the guy.
  • Catherine gets played and Sara gets the finger.

This is one of my favorite episodes from season 2 (as well as the whole series). A man walks into his bank with a briefcase and a check for $1 million from his personal account. He leaves the bank and is brought in after a cop pulls him over for reckless driving. Grissom and Catherine search the man, taking samples of the blood found on his hands. The man leaves the interrogation room and forgets his sunglasses. Catherine, trying to be nice, takes the glasses to the man outside where she receives a phone call telling her to leave her kit, her phone and her gun and get into the car. Grissom walks out in time to witness Catherine and the man driving away. He quickly dials her cell phone only to hear it ringing where she left it.

The way Roy Logan manipulates Catherine is classic. He has the story of his mistress and her severed finger (which Catherine leaves with Sara at the diner). He keeps her from calling for help by using the “what if it was your daughter” argument. He even manipulates her at the morgue after the body has been found, saying he wants to see his girlfriend to say goodbye when all he really wants is to siphon information out of the CSIs. Logan’s scheme was brilliant really. He sets it up so that his wife and his lawyer are the prime suspects. His lawyer, however, is not about to take the fall for murder and spills everything. At this point though Logan has left town and they’ve no clue where he has gone. Luck is on the side of the crime lab when a call comes in on Catherine’s cell saying he has been arrested. Catherine goes down to visit him in jail. Logan tells her they could have run away together which pisses her off even more.

This is a very intriguing case that carries the viewer along until the end. The episode is definitely worth viewing again.

• Catherine is forced to help deliver a million dollars to murderer.

Excellent episode all around. Definately one of my favorites. I think it's brilliant how they made Catherine almost a hostage but at the same time she wasn't. She wasn't held at gunpoint to go deliver the money but then again, if she didn't, the kidnapper said he would kill the lady Amanda.
    A great moment in this episode is when Sara is in the diner with Hank and Catherine walks in and doesn't say a word to Sara. When Catherine leaves, she gets up and casually walks over to Sara and hands her a cup with a finger in it.
CBS