CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

The Finger

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jan 31, 2002 on CBS

• I think this is my all time favourite episode. A kidnapping, Catherine also 'abducted', a severed finger and a clever mystery.

I liked this because although some people might have guessed the ending, it's not totally obvious by any means for a lot of the episode.

It's a race against time to find the kidnapper of the mistress of a rich, married guy. Her finger has already been sent to him, and when he is arrested shortly after withdrawing a huge ransom, the kidnapper gets antsy. So when he's seen with Catherine, the kidnapper makes her get into the guy's car and follow instructions for the drop.

The fun elements show Catherine thinking on her feet and leaving a trail of clues for the rest of the team to follow. Funniest is probably when she notices Sara on her date and goes to the same bar, ignores her, then dumps a severed finger in a glass of ice on her table.

In case you haven't seen it or gathered how it ends by reading the quotes section, I'll put in a SPOILER warning here.

When it becomes obvious that Catherine was being played by the guy, the neat twist is nicely revealed, and her reaction is priceless. The whole team thankfully goes through the entire story again, this time in the knowledge of what actually happened, so the audience can see the signs for themselves.

And it is all wrapped up nice and neatly, which is gratifying, because I'd have hated Catherine to go through all that and not get the guy.