CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Two and a Half Deaths

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 08, 2008 on CBS

7.6
  • The funniest episode they've ever done.

Great dialogue, great jokes and a delightful group of guest actors.

The intro is hysterical! The writer really is funny and the rubber chicken?! And the writer takes a photo with his camera phone! The rest of the episode is just as funny, both as parts of the show Annabelle and from the CSI cast. This was a nice departure from the usual seriousness and often an attempt at a comedy episode in a show as intense as this doesn't work, but it was very well written, the jokes were clever and well delivered, so for me, it worked.

CSI had become a bit stale for me but this was a breath of fresh air. Loved it.
  • A great one time romp!

I loved this episode! I thought it was a fun one off episode and enjoyed all the silliness about it... the actors even seemed to enjoy all the punniness of it.

I will admit that if this was the norm for CSI it would fall off my top 10 list... but as a single episode specifically done to be funny... Outstanding!

The writers were great... the constant references to other shows... the cast of Two and a Half Men smoking cigars on the lot... all these little things kept me chuckling throughout.

Given the dark turn this series is about to take with Warrick I thought the quick comedic break was welcomed... Now let's see how the CSI guys do with Two and a Half Men... like Grissom said... "Death is Easy, Comedy is Hard."
  • The writers of the sitcom Two and A Half Men actually managed to penned a fairly witty script filled with a few disfuctional Hollywood characters.

Some wise words to Grissom-Less lab, more TV. Brass wasn't the only one who was surprised that Griss didn't know the name of one of the most popular TV icons, The Fonz. The scene where Brass is trying to explain the meaning of the phrase, Jump the Shark, to a clueless Grissom was a gem.

The case itself was pretty interesting. A much hated TV star is killed in a Las Vegas hotel room from a fall and later, her stunt double is killed in Hollywood. Cause of both deaths, blood thinners in mouthwas was interesting. What I found interseting was how much the charaters of Annabell and Buddy were fashioned after Britney Spears and Kevin Federline. The rest of the characters made the people of Las Vegas seem normal. I loved the cameo of the cast of Two and a Half Men and using the tv Show, Extra, to cover the life and murder of Annabell made for a real Hollywood experience. The best scene was Hodges failed experiement with the tampons. Clearly, he has never been around a woman who uses tampons but reading the directions on the box would have saved him from being embarrassed.

While this episode will never rank as being one of the series best, it did prove that comedy writer's can excell in writing outside of their normal genre.
  • Okay. What in the world was that?

I have no idea what to make of this episode. At first I thought it was cool that the two shows were exchanging writers for one episode and I was really curious of how things would turn out but now that I've seen it...I don't know.

Let's do my pros and the cons, shall we?

Pros:

1. The "beautiful people doing high tech police work" comment.

2. Wendy teasing Hodges about the tampons.

3. That scene where Warrick asked Gil and Cath what they could see in the blood-soaked carpet.

Cons:

1. Most of the puns were bad.

2. The "extra" segment. The host never changes her dress. If you listen to her second update, she said "just one day after", meaning a day had gone by after her first report. Maybe I'm just nitpicking.

3. Bud.

4. The ending, with Bud stupidly cutting his jugular.

5. That conversation with Megan near the end was dragging. She was talking way too much.

There. There were some entertaining moments, but if you ask me, I don't think I'm going to watch this episode again.

By the way, I saw the Two And A Half Men episode the CSI writers did. It was funny.
  • The Merry Punsters.

Anyone who watched a recent episode of Two and a Half Men know that the CSI writers penned the episode. It was a funny novelty with George Eads making a cameo appearence. Here, the writers of Two and a Half Men write an episode of CSI. A clever crossover idea, but only mildly funny.

Katey Sagal plays the dual role of a diva television star and her stand-in. Needless to say both are murdered and the fun begins. Dietrich Bader (Oswald Harvey from the Drew Carey show) plays a dunder-headed boyfriend/writer/producer. Stephen Tobolowsky (of Mississippi Burning and lots of other character actor fame) plays a writer of her television show. The show ends up on some Hollywood studio grounds where we see Grissom and Brass investigate the death of the stand-in. This is also where we pan past the Three guys of Two and a Half Men standing outside a studio, the son smoking a cigar.

While Two and a Half Men is laugh out loud funny, this show is mostly pun-filled with more groaning than laughing. It is a cute premise and there is no clear cut suspect.

Like I said, a cute idea, not the funniest but something original.
  • Katie Sagal plays an obnoxious TV star who turns up dead from a blow to the head (presumably from a fall). Her stand in also ends up murdered. Turns out the TV star was being poisoned with blood thinners in her vodka mouthwash.

1.4
    Wow was this episode boring and amateur-ish. The beginning made me want to change the channel. The jokes were poor. The story was maybe the most uninteresting yet. I couldn't tell you who actually killed her either because they didn't really state, or because I lost interest scenes ago. And I could not be paid to endure it again to find out if I missed something. I watch CSI Vegas religiously, having the first five seasons on DVD, but this episode seriously sucked. I could write a better episode than this piece of trash. Let's review: Suspenseful? Not at all! Interesting? Nope! Provocative character development? No! Cool science info? Not one thing!
    Any reason to watch this episode? None.

Bring back the suspense and cool science stuff!!!
  • lame!

while i can appreciate the effort to switch writers with Two And A Half Men, this episode SUCKED. boring, lame puns, and lame story line. The cameos were cool, but i do not watch CSI for cameos. I do not watch it for comedic value. i watch it because its CSI. and i still need to write a bunch more words, and this episode sucks so bad i can think of nothing else to write. i just wanted to say it was horrible, and honestly, i do not need 100 words to do that. just a few more words.... there, that should do it.
  • Grissom wondered what "Jump the Shark" means?

Grissom wondered what "Jump the Shark" means. All he has to do is watch this episode. You know it's bad when the actors even appear uncomfortable. This was an experiment that just didn't work. The snappy one-liners. The Puns. Rubber chickens. The not-so-subtle vendetta and slam the writers have against Cybil Shepherd. They sure showed her, didn't they! Then we got to learn how a tampon is inserted. How wonderful! This was simply not an entertaining episode. The "Extra" inserts after each commercial break were just obnoxious. Leave these writers to the sitcoms. They did not do CSI any favors tonight. Ugh!!
  • I had reservations from the start and unfortunately those reservations were proved right

4.6
    I don't know why this episode was proposed or why anyone thought it would be a good idea; the writers from a comedy show writing an episode of a forensic drama – it just doesn't work. I don't watch Two and a Half Men and haven't seen the CSI writers' episode of the show so I don't know if the episode worked for them but I feel it was completely unnecessary for the CSI franchise. Two and a Half Deaths is the type of episode you would expect to find from a failing show attempting to boost their ratings as its really only episode aimed at reeling in the audience. CSI is not a failing show and so the episode just feels odd and out-of-place. What makes the episode even more disappointing is the quirky brilliance of "You Kill Me" earlier in the season which proved that the CSI writers could write a great comical episode which didn't feel at all forced or out of place. Which in turn baffles me even more as to why this episode was proposed…

I was willing to give this episode a chance; I had the same reservations about "You Kill Me" which ended up being a great episode. The storyline starts interestingly; the death of a 'celebrity' or high-profile character in CSI world often leads to sordid secrets being uncovered - which always makes for an entertaining, dry humoured episode. However the storyline doesn't really progress and the jump to the 'killer' is a little sudden even by CSI's standards. The humour also just doesn't work in the story, I feel the normal CSI writers could have written a better episode using their darker, more sarcastic humour rather than the jokes which really require canned-laughter.

Overall, this is an average filler episode. The episode experimented with something different which just didn't come off. Unfortunate but not surprising.
  • Okay-ish, but frankly, this proves that some jokes just don't work without a laugh track.

7.6
    Sure, it has the occasional well-placed joke, but all in all, the storyline was thin, barely any real scientific, mystifying CODs, and a half-hearted performance from the cast, who I think realized that this episode was really only there because 1) They were running out of storylines and 2) To add a lighter note before bringing down the Gary Dorudan\Warrick Brown bomb. It was the same with You Kill Me (right after Goodbye and Goodluck), only that one really was funny. The Two and a Half Men episode transitioned more gracefully into the CSI technique. Now, if CSI were to make a musical episode, it'd really be pounding the final nail in their fruitcake-slapstick coffin. But I'd still watch it.
  • CSI does(nt do) comedy. Urgh!!

6.9
    I guess Im the only one who thinks this series has changed too much. Maybe not, but this episode is another sign of decline.

I agree with the other reviewers that it was hard to watch. The plot seems interesting enough, but I was to busy analysing the breakdown of the teams cohesion and the consistency of the show. All of the good work building up the close emotional bond between the show and me has all gone! I just dont feel for the characters anymore. Theyve become nothing but pins in the middle of unintresting crime stories. Theyve also take away alot of the science explanations that made the show what it was! Could be that this is intentional because real criminals where learning how to beat the system! Though I never though they gave too much away.

Maybe the writers strike has helped either. And the switch to a different format of recording also makes these episodes seem detached, which also affect the characters.

As for the story, it was fair if uninteresting to me. I never felt any inclination to want anyone brought to justice. Nor did I care who the culprit turned out to be - no sympathy for me! The explanations of those being interrogated just seem to go through the motions, which is indicative of the bigger issue of the show.

Locations where fairly good and eye catching, particularly when Brass and Grissom go to the Hollywood set.

Overall I found the episode to be uninteresting and the resolution while cool in concept, flawed in execution especially the final scene(s) when Megan Kupowski is questioned!

The comedy style just didnt worth for me! I hope they return to a previously established format of yester-series and perhaps bring back Sofia and Sara because this had dipped below CSI:NY in quality and watchability!
  • It's hard to joke over the death.

I actually find this episode quite fun to watch. First, besides the crime solving stuff as usual, the show somehow reveals how a hit TV system works... the actor/actress is the boss, producers are out of power, writers are pathetic... I don't know, does CSI work like this? Billy is the co-executive producer. The show also recalls something the writers say during the strike. Secondly, it is normally Gil and Brass who shoot the punch lines; it is not bad to see someone else do this. I know it is hard to joke over the death, and is contrast to the usual tense and suspense-filled crime solving stories; but I still think it is no harm to have something different once in a while.
  • Dying is easy, Comedy is hard and this episode was hard to watch.

6.7
    This episode starts off with Annabelle (A TV star), who is in a lift with one of her shows writers. She seems upset that she isn't getting very funny jokes. They are shown shooting a scene in a casino, and then the victims is shown dead. Grissom investigates her death. Time of death is put at around midnight. Inside the victims mouth there is a rubber chicken. We soon discover that she drank too much (often at work) and was also a bulimic. She also had a drug problem. We find out that she was married 2 days prior to her death to Mitch. They also discover that she had a hysterectomy but still use tampons. The team discovers that she was putting vodka in her tampons. The team discover a shoe imprint they believe that their suspect is a woman. Brass & Grissom go to Hollywood to interview Annabelle's double. They find that her stand in has also died. It is discovered that the car that killed her was tampered with. Footage from the wedding is found and it is discovered that Annabelle did not get married it was her stand in.

A new writer called Jim is suspected of Annabelle's murder. His actual name is Richard he was on the show before, but because he wouldn't sleep with Annabelle she got him fired. He hid in her closet, in her hotel room to talk to her. She grabbed him in a private area and he accidently pushed her and she hit her head. He then put the chicken in her mouth hoping that another writer would be blamed for her death. It is discovered that she had blood thinning tablets in her system, which someone had put into her vodka mouth wash. This ultimately killed her, as if she hadn't taken them she might have lived.

At the end it is discovered that her "friend" Megan on the show put the drops into her vodka and tampered with her car chip. But because they can't prove it so she walks free. At the end of the episode Mitch is shown shaving and cuts himself, and he bleeds badly. Overall an ok episode, nothing exciting about it. I didn't like the whole comedy aspect of this episode. It was almost as if the writers were trying too hard to make people laugh.
  • Dying is easy, Comedy is hard and this episode was hard to watch.

6.7

• This tried to be funny?

6.6
    I did not get the point of this episode - it was different, out of original and old loved format. The case was somehow even interesting as the chars who might have been suspects were very colorful, everyone had a reason and change and in the end - oh, it was well done. Usually they always have the change to catch the bad one but this time.. Even if that blond woman killed them, she managed to get away with it.

I most say this episode had some great performances and acting but the story... I think they tried to make it funny.. and maybe comedies are like this.. but... for me this did not worked. Maybe that's why I never watch comedies?
  • Not usual to see the CSI's bring comedy to their show.

This episode was definitely different! It wasn't terrible just a complete 180 degree turn from the norm. Plus the bad guy doesn't even get caught, even though the team figures out who did it. The comedy throughout the show was laughable and the writers really did a great job of keeping the episode light hearted. I couldn't believe that it worked. However, it wouldn't work every week. It was a nice change from the norm before the season finale hits and the audience gets chucked back into the regular edge of your seat CSI. I didn't think that this episode was going to be that great, fortunately, I was wrong.
  • The CSI team tries to find out who murder Annabelle, a sitcom character who films in Vegas.

2.1
    That was one of the worst episodes of CSI ever. It took forever to get to the point in the beginning which was annoying. The plot and the writing was just terrible. I hope this show gets better and now worse because I really enjoy it. There definitely wasn't enough Greg in it for me. The whole the criminal being a mime thing was super lame. Also, there wasn't a whole lot of time spent in the lab doing the scientific stuff that makes CSI so interesting. In the end they didn't even arrest that one woman and then we don't get to see if Drew Carey's old pal died or not. Just horrible.
  • A joke-filled lampoon episode written like a sitcom. A sitcom TV star is found dead in her hotel room and the whodunit looks at the cast and crew. Droll quips and bad puns abound.

Stars, producers, execs, writers, actors are all parodied in the usual Hollywood poking fun at itself plot, the only thing missing is a laugh track. This story of sex and murder is a little on the raunchy side. Guest stars Diedrich Bader, Katie Sagal, Rachael Harris bring their comedic talents to the fore. Some good chuckles and twists to the story, a enjoyable hour. All the CSI regulars get laugh lines and Grissom plays the straight man. This is 3 straight post-strike epsodes in a black comedy style. A couple of character muse about "ju mping the shark", perhaps CSI has now done so itself?
  • A nasty TV star is murdered in an episode that is nothing like your usual CSI. I liked it!

A nasty TV star called Annabelle is murdered and there are loads of suspects as there was not one person who actually liked her, including her loser boyfriend.

She also had a Stand In/Personal Assistant who she made have plastic surgery, including breast and bum implants, to look like her and who also ended up dead.

I liked this episode. I know it was far fetched and nothing like our usual CSI but it was a nice change and you could see the different way it had been written straight away.

I liked the TV Boss's comment of how 'good looking people doing hi-tech police stuff' would make a good TV show.

Loved the scene with Hodgins and the tampons although I dont really believe that men dont know how tampons and applicators work!

Turns out it was an extra who Annabelle had fired because he wouldn't sleep with her who killed her, but it was an accident. The real reason she died was because her co-star, who was also treated like a doormat by Annabelle, and her writer boyfriend had been poisoning her mouthwash with blood thinner. They had rigged Annabelle's car but killed the stand by mistake.

In the end they got away with it because there was no evidence to prove this and then we see loser boyfriend dying also from a shaving cut which means that he too had been poisoned with the blood thinner.
  • Not the usual CSI but still fun to watch

I watch CSI every week and usually love to stories, although sometimes they get so dark that they are hard to watch. I liked this episode with several well-known comic actors in it and loved the fact that it had lots of bad humor, because CSI is often lacking in humor. I have always liked Katey Sagal and she played this brash and over-the-top demanding TV star with a younger and not-so-talented lover and now producer(Roseanne and Tom, anyone?)And the author of this screenplay, Chuck Lorre, probably knows a lot about working with Roseanne.
    I really like the character of Doc Robbins--he ads quite a lot of fun and smarts to this show. And I'm looking forward to see what happens next week, with Warrick. Is it the end of his character?
LOGO