CSI: Miami

Death Grip

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 13, 2003 on CBS

• I chose revealing because you learn more about crocodiles and alligators than you do about much else - except the stupidity of a certain tennis pro.

A young girl is kidnapped from her bedroom in the middle of the night and all stops are pulled out to find her. There's some initial interest in a local sex offender, but actually the truth is more complex. She was a tennis student - the next Venus or Serena as her parents put it - but her relationship with her tennis pro teacher is a little more than teacher/student.

Virginia Madsen - a deeply underrated/underused actress - is great as the distraught mother and the story pans out quite well. When an arm is discovered having been chomped on by an alligator in comes real life expert Jeff Corwin to explain that it's actually been eaten by a crocodile.

There are a few too many lectures in this episode for my taste. Jeff Corwin gets to let us know about the endangered species and we are told at great length about the difference in approach to the investigation of the disappearance of white, middle class girls and hispanic ones. All very important issues, but they could have been slightly more cleverly placed. They appear a bit clunky here.

I wasn't wholly convinced by the culprit - what exactly what his motive? He wasn't actually committing a crime by seducing the girls, even though they were young. His motives for killing Consuela didn't really come across - it seems like his prime motivation was seduction not murder and he could have got away with it a lot longer.

I do like the scene with Delko & Calleigh where he says to get any police involvement you have to be blonde and blue-eyed. No offence. None taken, says Calleigh, my eyes are green. It's unfortunate that given her pony tails and the lighting it's not actually obvious she's even really blonde!
AMC