CSI: Miami Forums

CBS (ended 2012)

I hate Jonathan Togo/Ryan Wolfe

LionGirl2k

[1]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 11
    I have tried the entire time that Jonathan Togo in the role of Ryan Wolfe, has been on the show to like his character, but alas, he's an idiot.  I do wonder why the writers make him so irritating.  Is it intentional?  He's not bad looking, & since I've never seen him in anything but CSI Miami, I don't know if he's so whiny in all of  his roles. Nevertheless, he is the main reason I stopped watching the show on a regular basis.  I just want to smack his arrogant, self righteous, sneering head almost every episode.  I really wish they would kill him off.  I know it's been years, but I miss Rory.  Now he could act! On the other side, the fabulous cinematography somewhat balances out my feelings, & again, in this seasons premiere, it was again, fantastic.  So kudos to the producers for investing the cash & hiring the talent to make the visuals pop and dazzle!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CSI_Hughes

[3]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 4

LionGirl2k wrote:
    I have tried the entire time that Jonathan Togo in the role of Ryan Wolfe, has been on the show to like his character, but alas, he's an idiot.  I do wonder why the writers make him so irritating.  Is it intentional?  He's not bad looking, & since I've never seen him in anything but CSI Miami, I don't know if he's so whiny in all of  his roles. Nevertheless, he is the main reason I stopped watching the show on a regular basis.  I just want to smack his arrogant, self righteous, sneering head almost every episode.  I really wish they would kill him off.  I know it's been years, but I miss Rory.  Now he could act! On the other side, the fabulous cinematography somewhat balances out my feelings, & again, in this seasons premiere, it was again, fantastic.  So kudos to the producers for investing the cash & hiring the talent to make the visuals pop and dazzle!

Hello there!! SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN, First of all Ryan Wolfe is not a REAL person so whatever he does is written, BESIDES! what is he exactly doing that is killing you? It's not his(RW's) nor Jonathan Togo's fault that your Rory left the show, so why pour all your anger on him?

I haven't watched seasons 1 or 2 (on a regular basis) and I cant judge Rory/Speedle's role but you don't hear me or other's Whining about everytime they (the team) remember Speedle as if he was some All-Time-Hero, like when eric went to a therapist bout Speed's death, and stuff like that

I mean cummon let me ask you this! If Speedle was still on the show and Ryan joined their team an d became BEST friends with Speed, would you even post this topic?

Edited on 09/24/2006 3:28pm

sugah66

[4]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 12

Please, guys, let's not fight.

There's a Speed Fan Club on here somewhere, if you want to go there to talk about him.

CSI_Hughes

[5]Sep 24, 2006
    sugah66 wrote:

Please, guys, let's not fight.

There's a Speed Fan Club on here somewhere, if you want to go there to talk about him.

I'm not fighting, who said I was
    no really just wanted to state my mind, lol I'm used to such replies, just like when Paige (Rose McGowan) got into Charmed instead of Prue (Shannen Doherty)

No hard feelings eh? LionGirl2k

jekyll

[6]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 86
    I have to agree about the character of Wolfe. He treats people against whom he's found the barest, most specious thread of evidence like garbage. He's grotesquely unprofessional.

alicat2000

[7]Sep 25, 2006
    • level: 5
    oh, puleeze!  Ryan may have had some bumps, and occasionally acted like a jerk but that is what makes the character so compelling.  HE IS HUMAN, HE HAS FLAWS AND ADMITS WHEN HE IS WRONG!  While the character of Speedle was good, I think Jonathan Togo's Ryan Wolfe is much better.  We have all Seasons on DVD and I am much more likely to pull out Wolfe episodes than Speed (and until November, that is two discs to one for Speed!!!).

CrazeAbt_CCnCM

[8]Sep 25, 2006
    • level: 3
    I don't hate him. But just curious, where did the Ryan Wolfe from the starting gone to? He's more like a serious guy initially and not so irritating... Of cos I don't mind if he's a bit of a jovial person but he's a bit overdoing it.

Cheers'

JPPT1974

[10]Sep 27, 2006
    • level: 50
    I have gotten used to him and like him a lot. Sorry that you hate him. Really I am!

jayeb

[11]Sep 27, 2006
    • level: 7
    jekyll wrote:
    I have to agree about the character of Wolfe. He treats people against whom he's found the barest, most specious thread of evidence like garbage. He's grotesquely unprofessional.

i have to wonder if some of that feeling is from the way he acted in "Rio"

He had cause to be pissy. He befriended Natalie, treated her like she was a member of the team when she wasn't. He even asked her out (made a bit of a mess of it but the guy ain't Eric "Rico Suave" Delko so whatever). and then she turns out to be the Mole. She was right there with all of them and she was playing narc to the Feds. Even if it was all good information (then again, Natalie popped off her mouth to that kid so who knows what she said that she thought was good but could be read otherwise), she lied to them. so a little bad wind between folks isn't a shock. in fact, given that it's only been six weeks, if they were all hugging and campfire songs, that would be the weird. not Ryan holding a grudge.

LionGirl2k

[13]Sep 28, 2006

OK, I'm going to try to address this all the recent comments in one post, but that may not be possible.  First of all, I really have tried to like the character Ryan Wolfe, & that was totally wrong of me to bring up the actors name, rather then just the character he's potraying.  I think the fact that he bugs me so much does say something for the level of acting, or I hope it does. 

CSI_Hughes commented:
    I know it wasn't Johnathan Togo's fault that Rory left, & I'm so not pissed at him for that, he had nothing at all to do with Rory leaving.  That was all on Rory.  I didn't think I gave the perception that I felt that JT was blamed for that, if so my apologies to anyone who was offended.  Next, I didn't quite get the second paragraph or the relevence.  I didn't think that Speed was some All-Time-Hero.  I just really loved his character & the actor's work.  Last, if Speed was still on the show & Ryan became best friends with him, I still wouldn't like his character.  Honest!

Hello there!! SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN, First of all Ryan Wolfe is not a REAL person so whatever he does is written, BESIDES! what is he exactly doing that is killing you? It's not his(RW's) nor Jonathan Togo's fault that your Rory left the show, so why pour all your anger on him?

I haven't watched seasons 1 or 2 (on a regular basis) and I cant judge Rory/Speedle's role but you don't hear me or other's Whining about everytime they (the team) remember Speedle as if he was some All-Time-Hero, like when eric went to a therapist bout Speed's death, and stuff like that

I mean cummon let me ask you this! If Speedle was still on the show and Ryan joined their team an d became BEST friends with Speed, would you even post this topic?

& of course I didn't think you were fighting with me, but thanks Sugah66 for the defense.  You're a sweetie.

THEJELLYBEAN66:Thank you. I can't imagine why someone who has not watched the show since Jonathan Togo has become a regular would suddenly, after all this time come into the show's forum and say hateful things.
    I liked Speed and I was really upset when he was killed but what's the point in comparing him to Wolfe? He's gone no matter what so might as well give the new guy a chance. Wolfe's attitude of Boa Vista last episode was pretty rude but understandable because he was affected by her so I gotta give him a break on that. Other than that, yes, he has been rough I agree but he also has apologized when he was wrong.

Jellybean, I haven't ever stopped watching the show. What I meant was that I don't tune in every week and watch it on TV religously.  I'll DL it when I have extra space on my computer a few weeks after it's been aired or when the season's done for the year, DL the whole thing.  With 24, I'll be in front of the TV ready & waiting for the latest episode, same with other favorite shows.  SO, all that was to say, I have watched every episode that's been aired since the show started, just not every week, i.e. regular basis. So I totally have been giving him a chance! Also, I didn't think I was saying "hateful things". Well. maybe the "kill off his character" wasn't exactly nice, but there are way crueler things to do to a person then kill him off. I object only to the use of "hateful", I get you disagree & that's great.  I love that you dig the character!   

jekyll stated it well:  I have to agree about the character of Wolfe. He treats people against whom he's found the barest, most specious thread of evidence like garbage. He's grotesquely unprofessional.

jayeb wrote:  i have to wonder if some of that feeling is from the way he acted in "Rio"

He had cause to be pissy. He befriended Natalie, treated her like she was a member of the team when she wasn't. He even asked her out (made a bit of a mess of it but the guy ain't Eric "Rico Suave" Delko so whatever). and then she turns out to be the Mole. She was right there with all of them and she was playing narc to the Feds. Even if it was all good information (then again, Natalie popped off her mouth to that kid so who knows what she said that she thought was good but could be read otherwise), she lied to them. so a little bad wind between folks isn't a shock. in fact, given that it's only been six weeks, if they were all hugging and campfire songs, that would be the weird. not Ryan holding a grudge.

While it's true that his treatment of Natalie was extrememly bothersome to me, I did understand, although in her defense, she was ordered to me the mole & didn't take any pleasure after she became part of the Lab family & felt like **** about it.  I will admit that due to my previous attachment to the actor that plays Natalie, I am more or less biased when it comes to that story line. If it was almost anyone else, I'd be just as pissed off as everyone else. 

However, Ryan's behavior in that show only intensified my feelings & opinions about him.  I've felt irritated by his character since, Season 3.  I did like him for a few shows, but then, nada.  That's really why I wanted to start this topic, maybe I'll be more tolerant of him in the future now that I've really had to identify my feelings about it.  I don't like that he bugs me to this extent.  He's not real but he sure bothers me as if he is! 

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to chat with me about this regardless of where you stand on the issue!

LionGirl2k

[14]Sep 28, 2006

THEJELLYBEAN66 wrote:
    jayeb wrote:
    jekyll wrote:
    i have to wonder if some of that feeling is from the way he acted in "Rio" He had cause to be pissy. He befriended Natalie, treated her like she was a member of the team when she wasn't. He even asked her out (made a bit of a mess of it but the guy ain't Eric "Rico Suave" Delko so whatever). and then she turns out to be the Mole. She was right there with all of them and she was playing narc to the Feds. Even if it was all good information (then again, Natalie popped off her mouth to that kid so who knows what she said that she thought was good but could be read otherwise), she lied to them. so a little bad wind between folks isn't a shock. in fact, given that it's only been six weeks, if they were all hugging and campfire songs, that would be the weird. not Ryan holding a grudge.
    I agree with you on everything there...my problem is the fact that the person who started this whole thread doesn't even watch anymore...she hates Ryan so much she tuned out. So why are they taking the time to post if they don't watch? Get a life.

Geez THEJELLYBEAN66, I have a life. Thanks for your kindness. 

jekyll

[15]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 86
    jayeb wrote:
    jekyll wrote:
    i have to wonder if some of that feeling is from the way he acted in "Rio"
    That feeling is from the way he's acted in nearly every episode where he questions a suspect.

dayn37

[16]Sep 28, 2006
    Wow. Hah. I loveeed Speedle so much. I disliked Ryan at first, just for no reason really, I just didn't like him. But now, I don't mind him. He's real cute and the only thing I dislike about him these days is the threat of him getting together with Calleigh hah since I'm a forever Eric Calleigh fan, but other than that, Ryan is very cute and good. I think. Obviously there's going to be someone who hates every character, and that's okay.

Malora

[17]Sep 29, 2006

I think the way the writers did the show Ryan found it very hard to fit into the team at first as he was seen as Speeds replacement and has been treated slightly as an outcast ever since he first appeared up until around 'Nailed' when Eric felt guilty for contributing to Ryans eye injury.

Ryan I think found himself in the akward position of never being quite good enough early on and is still learning the ropes of being a detective/ CSI. The fact that the other characters gave him very little help contributed to this.

And ask yourselves, if you think someone had commited a henious crime could you honestly say that you wouldn't act hostile to them? 

LionGirl2k

[18]Sep 29, 2006
    Malora wrote:

I think the way the writers did the show Ryan found it very hard to fit into the team at first as he was seen as Speeds replacement and has been treated slightly as an outcast ever since he first appeared up until around 'Nailed' when Eric felt guilty for contributing to Ryans eye injury.

Ryan I think found himself in the akward position of never being quite good enough early on and is still learning the ropes of being a detective/ CSI. The fact that the other characters gave him very little help contributed to this.

And ask yourselves, if you think someone had commited a henious crime could you honestly say that you wouldn't act hostile to them? 

You make great points and I agree wholeheartedly with the first two paragraphs.  On the third, I honestly don't know how I would react to them.  This is a great question for all of us to ask ourselves actually.  Those of us who are avid crime drama watchers & really anyone period.  One one hand, our justice system says, "innocent until proven guilty".  On the other, we have investigators, on TV & in real life, who sometimes take the process to a personal level which I sometimes find is a disservice to their overall truth finding.  Jumping to conclusions or trusting ones instinct is sometimes, in the case of Jack Bauer in 24 or Goren in Law & Order CI,  effecive & spot on, but other times, as we've seen countless times in defense lawer type shows or movies, a case of not looking hard enough or taking the time to only look at part of the picture, a travesty of justice.  We know that in real life there are thousands of people in prision who are actually innocent of the crime they've been convicted of right? So I suppose when I see a TV character taking the stance of "I know you did it because I have one piece of evidence, not all of it, and I'm just going to assume you're guilty & hope you confess so I don't look like a putz & I don't have to do anymore work, it bugs me.   The process of discovering guilt or innocence is subjective and while protraying these people in a dramatic sense is of course, fiction, I can't help but think, what if that was me on the other end of CSI Ryan Wolfe's interrogation?  How would I feel if I was accused rather then asked, if my guilt was assumed (& I was actually innocent), and I was treated like poop?  Would I be as quick to say, well, they were just doing they're job & trying to find out the truth?

Again, I don't know what my answer to the above question, I don't know how I would treat someone, but I hope & pray I would keep an open & balanced mind about it.  I just don't know.  Good topic Malora!

sugah66

[19]Sep 29, 2006

^^ Evidence can be misleading. It's all about context. And it's human nature to rush to judgment before getting all the facts.

I understand that investigators and police officers are supposed to be non-biased and openminded, but you have to admit that personal feelings come into play at some point in time. The trick is to not let it show.

But Ryan, as we have learned, has a temper. And at least he just doesn't run out and arrest random people because of a hunch. (Actually, I can't think of anyone who does, so let's just use that as an example of, "Well, he could be worse.")

Honestly? I would probably be hostile if I thought someone had committed a crime. I have a temper. Of course, I'm also a wuss and hate confrontation. So maybe I just wouldn't say anything.

I have no opinion. My favorite color is clear.

CSI_Hughes

[20]Sep 29, 2006
    LionGirl2k wrote:
    Malora wrote:

You make great points and I agree wholeheartedly with the first two paragraphs.  On the third, I honestly don't know how I would react to them.  This is a great question for all of us to ask ourselves actually.  Those of us who are avid crime drama watchers & really anyone period.  One one hand, our justice system says, "innocent until proven guilty".  On the other, we have investigators, on TV & in real life, who sometimes take the process to a personal level which I sometimes find is a disservice to their overall truth finding.  Jumping to conclusions or trusting ones instinct is sometimes, in the case of Jack Bauer in 24 or Goren in Law & Order CI,  effecive & spot on, but other times, as we've seen countless times in defense lawer type shows or movies, a case of not looking hard enough or taking the time to only look at part of the picture, a travesty of justice.  We know that in real life there are thousands of people in prision who are actually innocent of the crime they've been convicted of right? So I suppose when I see a TV character taking the stance of "I know you did it because I have one piece of evidence, not all of it, and I'm just going to assume you're guilty & hope you confess so I don't look like a putz & I don't have to do anymore work, it bugs me.   The process of discovering guilt or innocence is subjective and while protraying these people in a dramatic sense is of course, fiction, I can't help but think, what if that was me on the other end of CSI Ryan Wolfe's interrogation?  How would I feel if I was accused rather then asked, if my guilt was assumed (& I was actually innocent), and I was treated like poop?  Would I be as quick to say, well, they were just doing they're job & trying to find out the truth?

Again, I don't know what my answer to the above question, I don't know how I would treat someone, but I hope & pray I would keep an open & balanced mind about it.  I just don't know.  Good topic Malora!

couldn't agree more