CSI: NY

Communication Breakdown

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Mar 25, 2009 on CBS

• Intriguing, enjoyable and well done overall, but a bit overdone on some elements.

There were a number of things overdone in this episode. Danny's seemingly endless quest for a name for his offspring was cute the first two times, but then rapidly got old. That said, I would not have missed the end scene for all the tea in China, even if the final "revelation" was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. And I absolutely loved his reaction to Hawkes' story of his own parents' 6 week search for a name, which resulted in Sheldon. SHELDON! Yep, every time I hear that name it reminds me of the Sheldon conversation in When Harry Met Sally. The focus on ethnic diversity and the polyglot culture of New York City seemed a bit overdone as well. Everywhere the detectives turned there were more folks speaking anything and everything except English. But wonder of wonders, we've got a Greek woman who grew up in an orphanage, but still speaks the Greek of her heritage and who reads Native American Indian languages besides; another detective who speaks French, along with a third who is apparently fluent in Gaelic simply from occasional conversations with his grandfather. Amazingly, the one character whose Italian roots have been emphasized since nearly day one spoke not one word of Italian. Lastly, we get it already. The loss of native cultures is a tragedy. Just as two weeks ago we were subjected to a tirade on environmental issues. Both are serious issues, but when CSI mounts the pulpit and gets preachy they tend to go just a few steps too far. Fortunately, within all of this was a rather clever murder weapon that proves that ancient peoples could be incredibly ingenious and had an amazingly extensive and scientific knowledge of their world. Add to that some interesting glimpses into the variety of ethnic communties in New York, beyond the stereotypical Italian, Jewish and Chinese. I loved the scene with the Hindu Festival of Colors, which I'd seen a news story on just a few days ago. And I did enjoy the insight into the Native Americans of New York, in spite of the preachiness of the delivery.