CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

7x02 'Unfriendly Chat' discussion - Possible spoilers

laurameyer

[1]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 58

http://www.tv.com/csi-ny/unfriendly-chat/episode/1351998/summary.html?tag=next_episode;title

***SPOILER***

Edited on 09/30/2010 11:19am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 75
    So excited about this one Adam was dumbed up in the previous episode, hope they make up for it in this one.

tonyandzivafan

[3]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 41
    boom-moo wrote:
    So excited about this one Adam was dumbed up in the previous episode, hope they make up for it in this one.

I hope so too. And that we get to see more character development for him. Adam has been injured twice, he is funny, tech savy, and from the brief scenes, he is good with kids. So what side will we get to see tonight?

Lisaraph

[4]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 14
    Let me just say...Jo rocks! She's a great fit. And great DL scenes.

GrandviewEagles

[5]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 20
    I thought this episode was great! I loved the DL exchange. That was cute. I liked what Danny said about Lucy being able to pick the lock. AJ was awesome in this ep! So why did Mac punish Adam for defying a direct order but when Stella did it with the Diakos case he just followed her to Greece? LOL. Flack looked super hot in this episode though I still don't much love his horrible old-man hair. lol =) Overall, great ep.

Dewbak75

[6]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 18

Interesting episode. It was fun watching Mac & Jo's reactions to the people who popped up in their chat windows. The chat with Jo and the soldier could've been really corny, but it was done quite well. My only problem with the ChatRoulette stuff was believing that either the NYPD Crime Lab or a military base in a war zone would allow access to a site like that, when a lot of less security-conscious offices don't even allow access to Facebook.

Jo continues to be a welcome addition to the cast. We actually got to see her with her gun out this time, and just like last week she may be the only woman in the CSI franchise who wears appropriate footwear. We got an interesting tidbit about why she left the FBI, I look forward to learning more about that in the future. And once again we see evidence that Jo & Flack are going to be quite an entertaining pair. Flack seems to have taken an immediate liking to her. I'm not saying they're gonna hook up, but it's an interesting dynamic to watch.

AJ Buckley did a great job with the material he was given in this episode. I felt bad for Adam at the end when he was getting chewed out by Mac, but Mac's right, it had to be done. He defied a direct order from Mac, and he put the integrity of the lab at risk(something I think might've upset Mac even more).

And because I'm a guy, I can't let it go unsaid. That opening scene of the victim dancing around in those tiny shorts & shirt was one of the sexiest things CSI has ever done. To quote Jayne Cobb, "I'll be in my bunk"

princessleia77

[7]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 26

I thought it was too much of a coincidence that the woman happened to be in New York. It was too perfect that using a single temperature could narrow down the cities so much. It would have been more realistic to use a range. AndI don't think thatjust because one station is reporting a certain temperature doesn't mean that the database would necessarily be pulling data from the same weather station.

I wasa little weirded out with Jo's conversation with the soldier. I think she was just trying to be friendly, but it came off as being flirty with a married guy. It didn't help that it looked like she was pointing her laptop's webcam at her chest as she was walking down the hall.

I did like the episode though.

jordinajamaica

[8]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 42
    The episode was really good! I'll post more when I ahve more time but Flack's hair got slightly better and Jo wasn't too annoying although she seems to know a lot about psychology... and that some times can make her look like a little bit too much overconfident... Post more later!

boom-moo

[9]Oct 2, 2010
    GrandviewEagles wrote:
    So why did Mac punish Adam for defying a direct order but when Stella did it with the Diakos case he just followed her to Greece?
    Yeah, that was my first thought too. I think Mac suspending Adam was the right thing to do, but he should have done the same back then with Stella.

Dewbak75 wrote:
    she [Jo] may be the only woman in the CSI franchise who wears appropriate footwear.
    I like the way she dresses too, it's practical and comfortable.

Dewbak75 wrote:
    And because I'm a guy, I can't let it go unsaid. That opening scene of the victim dancing around in those tiny shorts & shirt was one of the sexiest things CSI has ever done.
    I am not a guy but I agree, it was really hot!

I think that Adam was great during this episode, he finally got the chance to have a little storyline of his own and he made the most with it. Go AJ!

Loved the team work too, everyone was great and got decent screen time

Jo keeps rubbing me off the wrong way. Her eyebrows creep me out and her psychology is overused. That guy folding after her 'swallowing' stuff? Right Plus I feel that TPTB are trying to shove down our guts how very well she fits already. She touches Mac just because, she enters Mac's office and seats down as if she was entering her own (correct me if I'm wrong but every other member of the team just stand up unless asked to take a seat) and I want to believe she was checking out that chatting net after her shift was over.

Anyway, the case and the episode were kind of different, catchy and well conveyed by everyone

Dewbak75

[10]Oct 2, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    Loved the team work too, everyone was great and got decent screen time

So far all four episodes of the CSI franchise that have aired this season have had the whole team working the same case, I don't mind episodes when they split up to work different jobs, but it's nice when they all get to work together.

:
    Jo keeps rubbing me off the wrong way. Her eyebrows creep me out and her psychology is overused. That guy folding after her 'swallowing' stuff? Right Plus I feel that TPTB are trying to shove down our guts how very well she fits already. She touches Mac just because, she enters Mac's office and seats down as if she was entering her own (correct me if I'm wrong but every other member of the team just stand up unless asked to take a seat) and I want to believe she was checking out that chatting net after her shift was over.

I think the psychology stuff mostly feels like it sticks out because it's a little different than what we're used to from CSI. And probably because the writers are using the first few episodes to really establish the new character. CSI Vegas was pretty Langston-focused for a while when Fishburne joined, and so far NY hasn't been as bad. It'll settle down. As for the swallowing trick, you'd be surprised how easy it is to do stuff like that, especially when the subject isn't the brightest bulb on the chandelier and the person doing it is already in a position of power. When it comes to her more relaxed attittude in the workplace, I think they're just highlighting the contrast between Jo's more southern style(she even mentioned that in the premiere) and the "big city folks". And I think she's less formal around make probably because she's a lot closer to a peer than the others. She's much closer in age, is coming in ostensibly as the #2 in the lab if she's replacing Stella, and from what we've learned of her so far it sounds like this job is more of a lateral move than a step up for her. Stella probably would've come right in and sat down too, but she wasn't a very laid back person.

boom-moo

[11]Oct 2, 2010
    I know nothing about southern style vs northern style but to me it's a matter of manners and education. I really don't mean to be offensive (I don't mean southern people are uneducated), but the way I am, far from laid back I find her attitude really disrespectful. I take it that she is just being herself, but she would make me really uncomfortable. Some things gotta give some time for.

GrandviewEagles

[12]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 20
    Oh there was one comment I forgot to add. The sunglasses Mac was wearing in this episode were the same ones he wore when I got my picture taken with him!!!

boom-moo

[13]Oct 2, 2010
    Aww, that's cute Amy

Dewbak75

[14]Oct 2, 2010

GrandviewEagles wrote:
    Oh there was one comment I forgot to add. The sunglasses Mac was wearing in this episode were the same ones he wore when I got my picture taken with him!!!

And he was even able to put them on without making a big production out of it the way Caruso does in Miami!

Dewbak75

[15]Oct 2, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    I know nothing about southern style vs northern style but to me it's a matter of manners and education. I really don't mean to be offensive (I don't mean southern people are uneducated), but the way I am, far from laid back I find her attitude really disrespectful. I take it that she is just being herself, but she would make me really uncomfortable. Some things gotta give some time for.

Whatever the reason for her different mannerisms at work compared to the others, the important thing is it doesn't seem to bother Mac.

boom-moo

[16]Oct 2, 2010
    Agreed

Call me curious but lookinatchu.com links to A.J. Buckley's blog on the CBS site for CSI: NY.

CSINY_Forever

[17]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 1

I enjoyed this episode. It was great to see Adam out in the field. I loved the interaction between him, Danny and Hawks at the end. We rarely get to see those guys interact with each other anymore. I really loved the part with Jo and the soldier, I loved how she took the time to show him New York. I wonder if he was an actual soldier or if he was an actor and they built the background? I would think that Gary would have suggested using an actual soldier as a way to support the troops.

Did anyone else catch the scene between Jo and Adam when she busted him for hacking into that company? Did he say that she wassome kind ofwhistleblower when she worked with the FBI and that is why she is now at the crime lab? Was she the one who told on Adam because before Adam almost got run over by the car, it sounded like Mac had no idea what he had done?

Overall it was a verygood episode. I enoyed the D/L interaction.

boom-moo

[18]Oct 2, 2010
    CSINY_Forever wrote:
    Did anyone else catch the scene between Jo and Adam when she busted him for hacking into that company? Did he say that she wassome kind ofwhistleblower when she worked with the FBI and that is why she is now at the crime lab?
    Yeah, Adam hinted that she has a rep for being a whistleblower and even though Jo refused it, I think it's very interesting. I guess we'll get to know more about it later.

CSINY_Forever wrote:
    Was she the one who told on Adam because before Adam almost got run over by the car, it sounded like Mac had no idea what he had done?
    I don't know how Mac caught wind of it. The FBI called Jo because they were pissed off since a NYPD comp was illegally accessing that firm they were investigating, so either she told Mac or the FBI told Mac or some of Mac's superiors. I'm not sure how it happened, I don't think it was fully explained but I might have missed it.

FoxPhile

[19]Oct 2, 2010
    • level: 8

boom-moo wrote:
    I don't know how Mac caught wind of it. The FBI called Jo because they were pissed off since a NYPD comp was illegally accessing that firm they were investigating, so either she told Mac or the FBI told Mac or some of Mac's superiors. I'm not sure how it happened, I don't think it was fully explained but I might have missed it.

Jo may have heard through her connections, but I'm guessing the FBI would have lodged a complaint through formal channels, and that's how it would come to Mac's attention. And however unfairly, that could also contribute to Mac's disciplinary action on Adam, vs his lack of action regarding Stella. If an official complaint was lodged, Mac would have no choice but to take some sort of action. In many ways, a 3 day suspension gets Adam off pretty easy. Illegal hacking during an investigation could compromise the entire case. Adam's lucky Mac wasn't forced to fire him.

I enjoyed the episode thoroughly. I really liked Adam's part, from his whole reaction to witnessing the murder, and how that affected him throughout the episode, to his kick-a$$ whacking of the perp at the end. Although I also like Danny & Hawkes teasing him with the light-saber references. I wish we could get more scenes of the Boys from CSI in casual, downtime settings. They're such fun.

Protective DaddyDanny is still cute. I do appreciate that the show continues to make mention of Lucy, even if she's not actually in an episode. I hate when a couple in a show have a baby and a few months later you wonder if they gave the child up for adoption.

I also enjoyed Jo's conversation with the soldier. And I don't find it odd that the military would allow the soldiers access to a site like that, although it's probably viacomputers in a rec center or something that are isolated from the rest of the on-base network. Maintaining links "back home"is so important to morale, it would be counter-productive to be too restrictive.

I'm not particularly bothered by the coincidence of the girl being in NYC. Those sorts of 'coincidences' come up all the time in these shows. They have to. Otherwise there wouldn't be a show. If the girl had been killed anywhere else, the only thing the NY CSI's could do is pass on the info - end of story. I think part of the point of having Mac and Jo link up at the end was to make the point that those sorts of things, while random, can sometimes produce oddly coincidental connections.

boom-moo

[20]Oct 2, 2010
    FoxPhile wrote:
    And however unfairly, that could also contribute to Mac's disciplinary action on Adam, vs his lack of action regarding Stella.
    I like that