CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

CSI: NY 2009 Episode Club

saleblanc

[41]May 19, 2009
    • level: 32
    Okay Gang - Here we go !!!! Welcome to the 2009 Summer Hiatus Episode Club. I'm going to start thing off with the Finale from Season One - What You See is What You See...

Hope everyone enjoys and posts new thoughts or remembers some fav moments.... Comment when you are ready...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

laurameyer

[42]May 19, 2009
    • level: 58

saleblanc wrote:
    Okay Gang - Here we go !!!! Welcome to the 2009 Summer Hiatus Episode Club. I'm going to start thing off with the Finale from Season One - What You See is What You See... Hope everyone enjoys and posts new thoughts or remembers some fav moments.... Comment when you are ready...

I like this one because Hawkes goes in the field with Mac.

saleblanc

[43]May 19, 2009
    I think your mistaken Laura... this is the episode where Doc requests the transfer - he's not in the field with Mac until Summer in the City, which is the S2 premiere.... But I love that one too - keep it in mind for your pick...

boom-moo

[44]May 20, 2009
    • level: 75
    I love the pick It's been a while since I last watched it so it'll be great to go through it again.

jordinajamaica

[45]May 20, 2009
    • level: 42
    Flack with long sideburns testing bikes, Danny with glasses and more blond , Hawkes as ME Nice chapter mummy S.!!!

snowdays

[46]May 20, 2009
    • level: 5
    I love the pick too. You made me remember why I love this show so much, it used to have this real NY-feeling - with beautiful shots of the City (loved the opening shots with 'Beautiful Day' from U2) but nowadays it's more glamorized if you know what I mean, they gave it the same sorta 'glow' as CSI:Miami. I don't know if you guys agree with me but this is just the way I feel it (I still love the show, don't get me wrong but I just think the 'glow' changed). Anyway, I liked Rose! She was great!
    How about the little SMacked moment - there really was a very small tension between the two of them when Stella fixed Mac's tie. How could there not be? I mean Stella looked stunning in that dress! Loved the episode pick and this thread
    Edited on 05/20/2009 7:26am

Macs_Girl01

[47]May 20, 2009
    • level: 11
    This is going to be so cool. You can count me in Sal
    Edited on 05/20/2009 8:01am

laurameyer

[48]May 20, 2009
    • level: 58

saleblanc wrote:
    I think your mistaken Laura... this is the episode where Doc requests the transfer - he's not in the field with Mac until Summer in the City, which is the S2 premiere.... But I love that one too - keep it in mind for your pick...

Thanks I forgot that part.

saleblanc

[49]May 20, 2009

Well this was a finale that definitely started with a bang - a shoot out in Mac's favorite diner. I loved how the diner is a consistent hang out for Mac - we saw this in "The Closer" as well. I loved Mac's conviction that Amy was going to make it. Eddie's longer hair and sideburns LOL not my favorite look for him. Ever the professional, you gotta love Mac exact account of what happened in the diner. Stella being taken back by Rose's interest in Mac was kinda funny. At this point in time, I think it was a "finally, it's about time" moment. You don't realize it until later but Doc's actually probably working on his transfer request and not just some report when Danny walks into autopsy and by his assisting Danny getting some info on Adam Baxter, the murder victim, also clues you in on what's coming. I still shake my head at Danny's corny "What's up Doc?" comment. I also thought the twisting of the bone to retrieve the bullet was actually kinda cool. It shows that despite how strong bones are they are also flexible. Aiden's looking out for Danny in regards to the eval showed how close they were but I also picked up on that she's never placed Danny in the wrong regarding the shooting. At least to his face anyway. I loved how Mac always thought there was more to the diner shooting and the pieces start to fall together when they learn about Steve Collins (on a personal note, Collins is my maiden name, I always get a kick out of hearing it in the episode) As always the compassion is there in dealing with Collins' mother. Mac reaching out to Amy's brother James was just so Mac. I think it was very parental. I just thought it was really gutsy, or stupid depending on the perspective, for someone to take a shot at Steve Collins outside the precinct. I actually loved the scene in the back of the ambulance when Mac finally puts the pieces together that Collins is a CI. I loved Aiden and Flack with the motorcycles, I think this was one of the few one on one scene they ever had together. I think the only other case they really interacted alone was Tri-Borough. I always appreciated the other angle they gave the audience by involving James having a connection to the gun used in the shooting of Collins. The twist of killing Collins' mother to send a message I always found interesting, because Collins never impressed me to give a care as to his mother's safety. Another piece of consistency was the DA is this episode is the same from the Melissa Danville case in "The Closer". But the thing I really picked up on this time was the look on Mac's face when the DA meets up and greets his wife. I really think it was a look of envy, of something that Mac's missing out on with Claire. I had to laugh at Danny "stealing" evidence from Aiden after his eval. But I still LMAO when Aiden rattles off all the chemicals from the trace she found in the shoe print from the precinct shooting, Mac immediately knows the shooter was in the diner. I just think it's hysterical. Again Mac remembers moment by moment of the entire shooting, with the exception of the man that left during the shooting. I appreciated how "magically" the pieces started falling into place linking the shooting to counterfeit money, especially when the found Amy's boyfriend Dennis. Mac's "everything is connected" ringing loud and clear in my head. I really liked Mac confronting Steve Collins about his usefulness and the death of his mother. But the final scene in Mac's office was my favorite, from Mac's conversation with Danny, Mac's acknowledgement of Stella all dressed up and Doc wanting to work in the field, capping it all off with Stella loosing Mac up for his first "date/meeting" with a lady named Rose..... I say good for him and good for CSI: NY. It was a great way to end Season One....

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did..... TonyandZivafan you're up next week.. I'll PM you on Monday to remind you . . .

Macs_Girl01

[50]May 20, 2009

Stacy I'll have to disagree with you. I personally loved Eddie's look all through Season 1. The sideburns on Eddie reminded me of John Travolta. I mean they;re both New Yorkers. But I did love this finale even if my heart was in my throat, praying that Mac didn't get killed. After seeing him get wacked on the back of the head, I think I might have to rewatch the eppie, my heart stopped. I wanted to slap Gary/Mac slilly for that lol. But the greatest part of that whole eppie was we got to see Eddie on the bike. He looked like he was in his element.

Best agrument scene between Smacked would have to be: Officer Blue 1x10

Edited on 05/20/2009 5:35pm

saleblanc

[51]May 20, 2009
    Did I miss something ? When did Mac get hit in the back of the head??

boom-moo

[52]May 20, 2009
    He didn't. I just finished rewatching it and will put my thoughts together tomorrow

KAMMOO

[53]May 20, 2009
    • level: 2

I feel like an intruder, since I didn't officially ask to join, but I just LOVED this episode... I have to agree about the older, less-glamourized NY feel that CSI:Ny used to have, I miss it. I won't go so far as to say I miss the cold blue lighting that the show was done in during the first few episodes, but that "Beautiful Day" sequence in the opening is still one of the very best sequences the show has ever done.

I miss Aiden! And Flack's long hair -- he looked a lot younger with it. Aiden and Danny's relationship is touching, but I can't help giggling every time I watch them in Season 1. I just get the feeling that the writers were torn between keeping them as a brother-sister relationship or hooking them up -- and it's only in this episode that they seemed to finally decide on keeping them brother-sister-y. Which makes me think they only decided on that because Aiden's actor had already announced she was leaving the show. Does anyone know if I'm accurate, or way off base here? They have a great rapport, though, Danny and Aiden -- you can totally tell she's got his back no matter what. I don't think she even once blamed him for the shooting, either.

"But the thing I really picked up on this time was the look on Mac's face when the DA meets up and greets his wife. I really think it was a look of envy, of something that Mac's missing out on with Claire."

I have to say that I absolutely hate this DA. This scene has never really struck me as Mac's simply being envious about missing Claire -- the DA and Mac were fighting, and then the DA purposely rubs it in Mac's face that "he's going to meet his wife for dinner". Maybe he didn't mean it as a personal attack, but Season 1 is the only real season where you can see how much Mac is still missing Claire, so this scene struck me as cold. And unnecessarily harsh.

Macs_Girl01

[54]May 20, 2009
    KAMMOO wrote:

I feel like an intruder, since I didn't officially ask to join, but I just LOVED this episode... I have to agree about the older, less-glamourized NY feel that CSI:Ny used to have, I miss it. I won't go so far as to say I miss the cold blue lighting that the show was done in during the first few episodes, but that "Beautiful Day" sequence in the opening is still one of the very best sequences the show has ever done.

I miss Aiden! And Flack's long hair -- he looked a lot younger with it. Aiden and Danny's relationship is touching, but I can't help giggling every time I watch them in Season 1. I just get the feeling that the writers were torn between keeping them as a brother-sister relationship or hooking them up -- and it's only in this episode that they seemed to finally decide on keeping them brother-sister-y. Which makes me think they only decided on that because Aiden's actor had already announced she was leaving the show. Does anyone know if I'm accurate, or way off base here? They have a great rapport, though, Danny and Aiden -- you can totally tell she's got his back no matter what. I don't think she even once blamed him for the shooting, either.

"But the thing I really picked up on this time was the look on Mac's face when the DA meets up and greets his wife. I really think it was a look of envy, of something that Mac's missing out on with Claire."

I have to say that I absolutely hate this DA. This scene has never really struck me as Mac's simply being envious about missing Claire -- the DA and Mac were fighting, and then the DA purposely rubs it in Mac's face that "he's going to meet his wife for dinner". Maybe he didn't mean it as a personal attack, but Season 1 is the only real season where you can see how much Mac is still missing Claire, so this scene struck me as cold. And unnecessarily harsh.

Bm: I wasn't quite sure if I was right or not. Thanks for clearing that up for me, it's been awhile since I've seen that eppie!

Kammoo: I totally agree with. I mean for Mac, all he ever got out of 9/11 was empty grave for his wife. There was no body, Mac never really got any closer from that ordeal. I really thought AMc should have punched the DA in face for bringing up the fact that he gets to go home every night to his wife and Mac doesn't. You can that Mac tries so hard to in the hurt and anger. But Mac's lucky in a since that he now as a piece of Claire in the form of Reed. Claire is always with Mac no matter where he might be.

boom-moo

[55]May 21, 2009
    snowdays wrote:
    it used to have this real NY-feeling - with beautiful shots of the City (loved the opening shots with 'Beautiful Day' from U2) but nowadays it's more glamorized if you know what I mean.

KAMMOO wrote:
    I have to agree about the older, less-glamourized NY feel that CSI:Ny used to have, I miss it. I won't go so far as to say I miss the cold blue lighting that the show was done in during the first few episodes

I absolutely agree with you guys. The shots of the city seem to be more neon filled now, more glamorous. It looks like most of the cases deal with wealthy and beautiful people, and that most bodies are found in fancy spot which wasn't at all the case during season 1. I don't miss the really dark atmosphere either, but I do miss some kind of undefined NY essence.

Macs_Girl01 wrote:
    Best argument scene between Smacked would have to be: Officer Blue
    Most definitely!

KAMMOO wrote:
    Aiden and Danny's relationship is touching, but I can't help giggling every time I watch them in Season 1. I just get the feeling that the writers were torn between keeping them as a brother-sister relationship or hooking them up -- and it's only in this episode that they seemed to finally decide on keeping them brother-sister-y. Which makes me think they only decided on that because Aiden's actor had already announced she was leaving the show. Does anyone know if I'm accurate, or way off base here?
    No idea about that, but I do definitely miss Danny and Aiden. I don't think Danny has the kind of friend he had in Aiden right now, at least not in the team. They clicked perfectly, they needed no words to know what the other was thinking, they were really funny together, their banter was great. I miss that greatly, but I don't think they would have last as a couple. I definitely would have stuck with the friends status, it's a pity she is gone. I think it speaks volumes how she encourages him to go get that evaluation done and how he listens to her. She is definitely on his side.

I agree with most of Stacey's points (now, now what a big surprise ). I loved knowing about Mac's routine, he totally sounds like the kind of man who would have one. I also loved seeing him dressed casually, he looked gorgeous in the grey sweat top. And of course, once the cop always the cop. He totally caught up on what was going on and acted in consequence, it's really cool to notice to what extent he is always aware of his surroundings. His account was absolutely precise, more precise than what I could have told seeing the scene from the outside and not being under any kind of pressure. But then, his eye is trained. I loved him reassuring Amy that she was gonna be fine, I have no doubt he made her feel better and maybe a tad less scared. Lmao at Stella being all at Roses' interest in Mac. How clever of her was to thank Mac by buying him a drink? I loved it but I felt sorry sorry for her when he politely brushed her off.

I couldn't help but smile at the old ME's facilities. Those arcs are really cool, I loved that morgue. I agree that Hawkes was most likely filling up that transfer request when Danny showed up. By the way, something really interesting: we learn (when Mac hands Stella the form) that he was 32 years old in season 1 and that he had a badge number already. I had never caught that before. How come and ME has a badge number? That would put him in a totally different light when thinking about the blue flu and his discussion with Lindsay. I need to give this more thinking myself. Anyway, can you really twist a bone like that? I never thought they were flexible. Anyone can tell positively that what we see can be done?

Eddie's look is not my favourite at all, but I miss his leather jacket. One can tell both Flack and Eddie were enjoying checking out the bikes, but it's clearly not Eddie the one who makes the tire marks. I love Danny's look. The nice suit jackets he used to wear, his old glasses and hairdo. Love it!

Stella and Mac are great dealing with Collins' mother. One can tell they have witnessed that sad reality many times before. What can a mother do other than love her children? It's really nice to see how she acknowledges that the best for her son is being arrested as soon as possible after all, and she agrees to have him caught despite initially lying about his presence at her house. I didn't think either that Collins really cared about her, so I felt really sorry for the woman when she was killed to send her son a message. Something that annoyed me in this scene: the random CSI that finds the thing with which the woman was killed. I dunno why, I'm not used to random people dealing with important evidence.

Totally random: Can you guys hold up your left ring finger like Collins does in the ambulance? I can't Oh, and Mac making pressure over Collins wound so he talks in front of the paramedic wasn't a bit odd?

About the DA scene, I also think that Mac's look has a lot of meaning. It must certainly hurt not having someone to go home to, no one to share dinner with anymore. I think it is really interesting that it happens in the very same episode where he decides to move on with his life and finally joins Rose for that drink. But do we know for a fact that the DA knows about Mac being a widow? I don't think it was as much a matter of the DA showing off but a matter of Mac realizing what he misses. Mac has all 24 hours to solve a case, the DA doesn't. I really loved how they showed how hard it was for Amy to keep a long conversation with her boyfriend only to lead the police to his hiding place. The short conversation between Mac and Danny is really intense. We don't really know if they are in the same page yet, which leaves a nice question there to be solved in season 2.

Mac checking out Stella is too funny. He doesn't reply to her "Do you like the dress?" but one can tell he indeed does LOL And he is too cute looking a bit away when she comes really close to him as she is taking off his tie and then strokes his cheek. The stroke wasn't really necessary, but it is very much Stella's (and Melina's in my opinion). I love the shy, uncomfortable Mac, I could have said he blushes a bit and all. Mac leaving his gun in his desk drawer, have we seen him doing that again? It is a really neat way to put an end to the season having Mac meet up with Rose. I think Rose was as surprised as most of us were. I didn't think he'd go, I though that the fact that he was considering it was enough of a fact to point out that some kind of change was going on in him, but whoa, he does go! Other random things I liked: we get to see a lot of Mac and Stella holding out their guns. Seems to me that during season 1 the cop moments were really well balanced out with the CSI moments. And whoa, they had quite a lot of backup there!

Mac and Stella being beeped at the same time was fun too. Maybe I'm totally wrong here but shouldn't Mac (being the boss and the one who assigns the cases) the one to be beeped first?

Mac mentions that he loves Stella's attention to detail. I think that is cool because that's one of the main reasons why he would hire Lindsay later.

The lab looks really empty, don't you think? It is mostly filled with huge floor lamps, and the lab equipment looks really old fashioned. That screen result of the test Stella was running on the paper made me giggle.

And finally, anyone else giggled when Mac says to Rose: "My name is Mac Taylor"? I also love that the last thing we see it's candles, they convey a lot of meanings: remembrance of the past and celebration of the present as long as the flame is kept alive, right?

Macs_Girl01

[56]May 21, 2009

Your so right Boom, it must be so hard to loose someone you love so much not have any closer what so ever. Poor Mac, the pain that man has carried since Claire is undescribible. Agree with you Boom I love the "You like my dress?" scene to, but that scene also as a double meaning. Stella loves to dress up and Mac likes to look, but he just doesn't know how to answer her, if you see where I'm going with this. Since Claire die, Mac as become anti-social. He rarely goes out, doesn't spend his weekends with colliges and friends, he spends all his time couped up in his office doing paper, he basically never goes home anymore, to many memories of Claire which cause him not to sleep at all- 1x01: Blink! He's suffering from a really bad case of insomia.

But I love how Mac tries to over come all of that, to go on date with Rose, to jump start him into dating again. I hope I explained myself this time Boom!

boom-moo

[57]May 21, 2009
    You explained yourself fine, hun. I guess he doesn't reply because he is a bit of a mix of emotions at that moment (however he raises an eyebrow like saying "wow" LOL). He is fighting to move on, then Stella shows dressed up nicely, ready for a date he also could/might have. I guess that was a little push in itself.

Macs_Girl01

[58]May 21, 2009

I think it might be a little jealousy as well. The look on his face when tells him that she has a hot date. In my opinion, I think was mentally kicking himself because for not asking Stella himself. The way I look at it, he might have wanted to take her to dinner. But then there's the look of disappointment on Stella's face that it's not Mac taking her on the date, but at least they can be playful about it.

boom-moo

[59]May 21, 2009
    I think it's more of an inner struggle Mac is fighting, and Stella's look and the fact that she is going on a date herself only intensifies that internal fight.

Macs_Girl01

[60]May 21, 2009
    I think I know what you are getting at. What your saying is that Mac is fighting his inner feelings for Stella? And that it would be so easy ask Stella out but then there Claire's memory. He's scared.