CSI: NY Forums

CBS (ended 2013)

CSI: NY 2009 Episode Club

boom-moo

[61]May 21, 2009
    • level: 75
    Not really. I think he is struggling between going on with his life or remain mourning Claire. He is considering Rose's invitation, debating if he should go or not and then Stella appears, all dressed up, ready to date herself. I think that pushed him somehow to move on as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Macs_Girl01

[62]May 21, 2009
    • level: 11
    So Stella help Mac make intinal step of moving forward with his love life. Right?

laurameyer

[63]May 21, 2009
    • level: 58

saleblanc wrote:
    Did I miss something ? When did Mac get hit in the back of the head??

In the thing about heroes Mac was hit in the head.

princessleia77

[64]May 21, 2009
    • level: 26

I haven't seen season 1 in a long time, so what stuck out for me was the difference between this episode and episodes from later seasons. In addition to the difference in the look of the morgue, the opening credits seemed a little different than in seasons 2 and 3. I guess they didn't have as large of a variety of photos to choose from.

Regarding testing the motorbike treads, it surprised me that Flack was doing the testing and not Danny. Had they not yet revealed Danny's motorbike hobby? Also, I'm wondering how accurate it would be to do the tests in a warehouse, as the pavement would likely be smoother than outside and the treads would show up differently.

I didn't see the scene with the DA as being too harsh. Maybe because I haven't seen the rest of the first season in so long, I don't have the same sense some of the rest of you guys do that Mac was still grieving in the first season. To me, it seemed that the DA didn't intentionally try to hurt Mac. It was just a way to end a conversation.

boom-moo

[65]May 21, 2009
    I think so, MG Yeah, it is weird that it is the homicide detective the one testing the bikes and not one of the CSIs, nice catch. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

I don't think the DA was trying to hurt Mac intentionally either. He's got a private life to tend to, while Mac doesn't. Probably the DA isn't even aware of that.

-renn-

[66]May 21, 2009
    • level: 18

(edited) : I decided to just write my thoughts and post them here, and only after I went back to read what everyone had written, but I think I didn't repeat the others too much.

What is it about CSI NY that makes it possible to enjoy watching the same episode again and again? First of all, I must say how I miss Danny's glasses, and the original opening credits + song, and how I don't miss Flack's sideburns. With that out of my system, I can go on to saying how I loved this episode back when I first watched it. Not only it feels great to see Mac opening up for the possibility of a new relationship, it would be good anyway to see him interacting with people who don't work with him, like the waitress who knows him, the attractive woman who talks to him at the diner… Of course then he becomes Mac again, taking charge, helping the woman, trying to keep the guy from shooting. The situation in the coffee shop reminded me – and I don't know if I thought about it the others times I've watched it – of the time I was in shoot out inside a bus. There was a robbery and this guy sitting close to me had a gun and there were shots fired. A man a few seats behind me was hit on his upper arm, lost a lot of blood. But in my case, the guy who reacted was not an ordinary citizen with a rap sheet, it was a guy who claimed to be a cop and then ran away from the scene – later my then boyfriend, who was there too, told me it's quite public knowledge, at least around here, that cops always react – because they are afraid they'll be killed if they don't react and are later identified as cops. A few inches to the side and the bullet that hit that other passenger might have killed me.

Anyway, back to the episode, I don't know if I agree with Stacey in that Hawkes might be writing his application to leave the morgue for the lab when he first appears – but from his expression, I tend to agree he was thinking about it. By the way, in this first season, everything was so dark, sometimes I had a feeling they were working in a basement – specially in the morgue scenes. Sort of a dungeon feeling. On the other hand, I agree with the person who mentioned Mac's face seeing the DA with his wife – he looks desolate. Not only he's lonely, he doesn't really have a life, since all he does is work. Another clue for us that maybe Mac is getting ready for a change in his life.

Aiden, now – I was never so crazy about her, even though I didn't dislike her. I always loved her evident friendship with Danny, the way they'd joke and just be comfortable around each other. In this episode, we see her taking care of Danny, trying to help him, and it feels good because they are obviously not attracted to each other in a romantic way, as he is with Lindsay (at least I never saw it as such), but at the same time they're equals – because Danny is friends with Stella, too, but their relationship is not as even, perhaps because Stella is older than he is or maybe it's a seniority thing, they are friends, they joke and banter, but it's never the same as it was with Aiden.

And that's quite a lot to say for someone who thought she'd sit here and just write, it was fun watching it again.

Edited on 05/21/2009 7:37pm

tonyandzivafan

[67]May 21, 2009
    • level: 41
    I always find it amazing that you pick up things when you rewatch episodes. Like you notice things when you first watch them. I have actually a microsoft word doc filled with inof on this episode but i will only mention a few things. MY nerdy self will shine through next week!

* I LOVE Flac's hair. *wants him to gorw it again.
    * And to me Mac was a bit shy with Rose when she talks to him before the shooting. I think I even saw him blush a little.
    * Danny calling Hawkes Doc. Good old days. I miss them. Not that I hate Hawkes in the field.
    * The actress that played Steve Collins mom (Sandy Martin), has been on CSI LV twice. And we first learn about her b/c of Stella news that the DNA had 1common allele with Steve Collins at the 13 loci. Now there is something you can add in the You know you've been watching too much CSI when... thread.

I will have more later.

Macs_Girl01

[68]May 21, 2009
    There were alot of things that made Season 1 grea1t. It was basically that start of Smacked. Seson alot of great Smacked episodes. They showed a sense pf protecting each other: ex- Hush or Closer, not sure to sure. They care enough for one another that they would go the distacne for each other

boom-moo

[69]May 22, 2009
    Oh my Renn, what a scary experience to go through! *hugs tight*

snowdays

[70]May 22, 2009
    • level: 5

tonyandzivafan wrote:
    * Danny calling Hawkes Doc. Good old days. I miss them. Not that I hate Hawkes in the field.
    * The actress that played Steve Collins mom (Sandy Martin), has been on CSI LV twice. And we first learn about her b/c of Stella news that the DNA had 1common allele with Steve Collins at the 13 loci. Now there is something you can add in the You know you've been watching too much CSI when... thread. I will have more later.

* I thought Danny still called Hawkes Doc. sometimes, thought I heared it a few episodes ago.
    * I knew I recognized her from somewhere, I also did recognize Steve Collins he plays Roman Nevikov in "Life"

jordinajamaica

[71]May 22, 2009
    • level: 42
    I'm writing this at the same time I'm watching the chapter so it could end up being quite long!

*I love the song 'It's a beautiful day'! The opening scene is great.

*Mac in casual clothes looks great. Oatmeal person! Rose being all nervous talking with him and Mac's reaction was really cute.

*Kinky JJ noticed that you can see Mac's underwar while he is applying pressure to the waitress wound.

*OMG! Flack with long sideburns and a normal tie!!

*Aren't Danny's eyes even more blue??? I want the glasses back...

*I love Stella's face when Rose tells her that the guy she was trying to talk was Mac. She looks amused!!

*I miss the old morgue. I think that Hawkes is filling the form too!

*Can't Danny get in a room without making so much noise???

*The bone thing Hawkes does it's kinda cool, and possible. Bones are flexible at least for a few hours after death and when you are alive too. *I loved Aiden being so concerned about Danny, and him being himself, 'I can't handle it'...

*Flack's leather jacket is baaaack!!!

*I love NY night shots, those images of times square were really beautiful!

*Shooting scene outside the precinct: WOW... Mac and Stella were really near they could have received the bullet!! The shooter must be really good!

*Flack without tie trying the bikes...*GASMS*

*Flack needs a haircut... but the sideburns have to stay!!! PLEASE!!

*Hawkes working as ME and taking pics of the vic at the scene! I love his purple gloves!!

*Mac talking with the DA and then the wife arrives and Mac face changes completely. It seems to me that he misses Claire, of course, but that he misses having a relationship, someone to have dinner with after a long day at work...

*Is Danny's accent even toughter to understand??? He looks great with those suits and shorter hair, and the glasses....

*The thing they do with the bills is really cool!

*The crystall investigator is such a dork!

*The localitzation of the call was really cool too!!

*The interrogation room is quite creepy!! Seems like an old basement...

*Poor Danny... Mac is being a little wough with him but he kinda deserves it...

* at Mac checking out Stella!

*MAc doubting Danny is kinda sad! And for a moment I think he thinks about letting Danny go and putting Hawkes in his place!

*I love Stella's face when MAc says that it can wait until the next day!

*Really good Smacked friendship moment!!

*Mac being all nervous about dating is really cute!!

*I really liked that the final shot is a New York view!

Nice chapter! I really love it!!

-renn-

[72]May 22, 2009

boom-moo wrote:
    Oh my Renn, what a scary experience to go through! *hugs tight*

thanks, hun, it's been 13 years. On a Friday 13th, no less.

jordinajamaica wrote:

*Is Danny's accent even toughter to understand??? He looks great with those suits and shorter hair, and the glasses....
    *Aren't Danny's eyes even more blue??? I want the glasses back...
    *Poor Danny... Mac is being a little wough with him but he kinda deserves it...
    *MAc doubting Danny is kinda sad! And for a moment I think he thinks about letting Danny go and putting Hawkes in his place!

JJ, I rearranged your comments to comment on them in blocks, ok?

I want Danny's glasses back too!! I think there's a recurrent theme at least in the first seasons, that Danny is somewhat a loose cannon, he is good at what he does but with his temper and impusivity and such he's prone to get into trouble. Mac seems to deal with him like a fond parent sometimes, giving him a hard time because if he makes it too easy, the kid will get spoiled and get in trouble again. I don't if his accent is stronger, I admit I ALWAYS have trouble with his accent - which I love, by the way. But there are some of his lines that I have to listen to 3 or 4 times...

jordinajamaica wrote:
    *I love Stella's face when Rose tells her that the guy she was trying to talk was Mac. She looks amused!!
    *Mac talking with the DA and then the wife arrives and Mac face changes completely. It seems to me that he misses Claire, of course, but that he misses having a relationship, someone to have dinner with after a long day at work...
    * at Mac checking out Stella!
    *I love Stella's face when MAc says that it can wait until the next day! *Really good Smacked friendship moment!! *Mac being all nervous about dating is really cute!!

Stella's face at that time is precious, it's as if she's wondering why she didn't make the connection when the woman told her about the attractive guy in the diner - that it could be Mac himself. And it goes well with her expression at the end, when she learns that Mac is leaving on a date and not working until he drops as he usually does.

About Hawkes' badge number - wouldn't he have a badge number just for being a ME? I knew a woman here in Rio, she applied to be an ME, it was a police job so she had to get a permit, learn to shoot and start carrying a gun - even though she'd just be in the morgue. I would think a badge number would come along in the packet. Anyone has info on that?

jordinajamaica

[73]May 22, 2009
    • level: 42
    I still have trouble with Danny's accent too, Renn, but I think that somehow it is softer now that it was in season 1!!

To be a CSI you have to have a badge so since Hawkes is applying for that position is logical to think that he has one. But I don't think you need to be a cop to get one...

-renn-

[74]May 22, 2009

But would he have one to work in the ME office?

The question about his badge was asked by BM a couple posts ago. Do MEs get badges? Because in his application there's a badge number, so he already has one. But if he's applying, and he'd only get the badge after joining the LAB, then why would he have a badge number already?

Edited on 05/22/2009 7:55am

Macs_Girl01

[75]May 22, 2009
    Yea he does but didn't he attend Police Acamdy inorder to get the badge?

KAMMOO

[76]May 22, 2009
    • level: 2

"I want Danny's glasses back too!! I think there's a recurrent theme at least in the first seasons, that Danny is somewhat a loose cannon, he is good at what he does but with his temper and impusivity and such he's prone to get into trouble. Mac seems to deal with him like a fond parent sometimes, giving him a hard time because if he makes it too easy, the kid will get spoiled and get in trouble again. I don't if his accent is stronger, I admit I ALWAYS have trouble with his accent - which I love, by the way. But there are some of his lines that I have to listen to 3 or 4 times..."

Oh gosh, the GLASSES, how could I forget to mention that! I'm having the worst time deciding whether he looked better with or without them. And the look on Danny's face when he realizes that things still aren't square between him and Mac -- I love that this is a plotline which took almost an entire year to resolve. In my opinion, things only became really okay between Mac and Danny again in Run Silent, Run Deep (because in that episode, you could TOTALLY see Mac thinking back to the shooting incident from Season 1, and wondering if Danny was capable of murder, even if only for a second). It made me feel so awful for Danny, this moment in "The Closer", but it definitely highlighted the fact that he's a loose cannon; and at least Mac realized that Danny was trying. .. I definitely agree that Danny's accent is usually hard to understand at best (I also tend to rewind a lot of his lines and put the captions on -- not that I'm complaining ), and especially hard in Season 1 (and early Season 2). I kind of miss it, though...watching Season 1 always makes me nostalgic for the reckless, complex glasses-wearing Danny.

On Hawkes switching over from the ME lab: I think this was one of the best decisions the show made, not only because we get to see Hawkes in the field, but because Sid is easily the best coroner out of all three CSI coroners. But as far as real-life logics goes for this decision, I definitely agree that they've lost me too. I can understand that with his medical background, Hawkes wouldn't have a problem with the scientific background of being a forensic investigator, but don't you need more than just a badge for this position? Like, a degree? Or at least you'd have to go through the Police Academy, right, so they can train you in what to look for at a crime scene? Even if Hawkes got the badge when he got the job at the Lab's ME office, it didn't make him a cop (I think they covered this in Season 5, during the whole Blue Flu episode). And Hawkes implied in Season 3 that he'd literally just left his job as a doctor in a hospital and signed up at the ME's office - no mention of any schooling in between.

Edited on 05/22/2009 11:37am

tonyandzivafan

[77]May 22, 2009
    • level: 41
    jordinajamaica wrote:

*Kinky JJ noticed that you can see Mac's underwar while he is applying pressure to the waitress wound.

I have about 15 min left to watch (got distracted last night) but now I want to rewind now!

boom-moo

[78]May 22, 2009
    The whole Hawkes having a badge thing is a big inconsistency. He is an ME and he has one already. Then he becomes a CSI and doesn't have one. And as Kammo mentioned, he doesn't have any train whatsoever. Sometimes it seems to me that TPTB think we have the memory span of a goldfish.

-renn-

[79]May 22, 2009

boom-moo wrote:
    The whole Hawkes having a badge thing is a big inconsistency. He is an ME and he has one already. Then he becomes a CSI and doesn't have one. And as Kammo mentioned, he doesn't have any train whatsoever. Sometimes it seems to me that TPTB think we have the memory span of a goldfish.

Hey! It works for the goldfish, doesn't it?

Now seriosly, do they have the memory span of a goldfish - or do they just think WE do?

boom-moo

[80]May 22, 2009
    They do or they don't care enough They are dealing with highly dedicated fans though